PDA

View Full Version : Any cabinet planner experts?

Jeff Monson
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm using cabinet planner for an upcoming kitchen project, here is the problem I'm having. Let's say for example, I want to build an upper cabinet with applied ends on both ends. I can get the program to add the applied ends, but then it takes away the side material that I want to keep. I'd like to have melamine sides (for even appearance and shelf pins) and then the applied panel. The program just calculates an applied end? that is not the way I want to build my cabinets.

I know I can manually figure this out, but it would be way easier for material calculation and cutlists to have the program do it.

Jeff Monson
08-22-2011, 3:04 PM
I'll respond with the answer to the question, if anyone cares. I emailed cabinet planner (not expecting a quick reply and boy was I wrong, great customer service BTW). On this application you do not put an applied end on the cabinet, just set the scribe to 3/4" or whatever panel thickness you are using and the program will keep the melamine ends in place. The applied ends are still in the component list and will be incuded in the cutlist and material calculation.

David Nelson1
08-22-2011, 3:45 PM
That's an interesting program. I would like to here a few comments after you have used it for a while. I have a kitchen project on the back burner as well.

Jeff Monson
08-22-2011, 7:23 PM
That's an interesting program. I would like to here a few comments after you have used it for a while. I have a kitchen project on the back burner as well.

David, the sweet thing with cabinet planner is.....they have a free download, it gives you 12 (I think or more) free uses, after that its around 80$ which is a bargain for cabinet software. Nothing to loose really. Also I have done 2 kitchens with
this software and they both turned out great, I use it regularly for raised panel figuring also. This is my 1st kitchen with applied ends though.

David Nelson1
08-22-2011, 8:05 PM
I saw the free down load. I'll wait a bit till I get some free time I can actually play with it.

Mike Goetzke
08-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I'll respond with the answer to the question, if anyone cares. I emailed cabinet planner (not expecting a quick reply and boy was I wrong, great customer service BTW). On this application you do not put an applied end on the cabinet, just set the scribe to 3/4" or whatever panel thickness you are using and the program will keep the melamine ends in place. The applied ends are still in the component list and will be incuded in the cutlist and material calculation.

I'm no expert but that's what I was going to suggest. I believe a Creeker named Ed turned me onto the program. We were doing a big remodel project. I bought the program and it was worth it's weight in gold (well at the time it was) because our original design looked terrible in 3-D. Just a few things I learned along the way and from Ed & Rob. Get a good handle on the standards you need to set. Save a new file often - the file system is a little strange. I made lowers w/o toe kicks, used 3/4" ply backs and ff uppers - took some coaxing and trial & error to set the parameters correctly. Sometimes frustrating but in the end I got what I wanted. I still double check the output but it has been excellent in providing my frame/panel door parts sizes, carcasses, and faceframes. I would recommend it to anyone:

Our design:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/kitchen07_17_113-8overlay3dview.jpg

So far:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Countertops/IMG_4532.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Countertops/IMG_4533.jpg

Just wish the program could help make some of the doors for me...I have half of the doors completed but still far from complete.

Mike

Jeff Monson
08-23-2011, 8:43 AM
Very nice Mike, thanks for the tips. Would you mind telling me how you got the pillars to show up on the program? Is it just some sort of custom tall cabinet?

Terry Beadle
08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Man ! That's a seriously beautiful kitchen ! Architectural Digest material !

Thanks for posting...now I'll have kitchen envy the rest of my life !

+ 1 for a stealth gloat

Mike Goetzke
08-23-2011, 1:31 PM
Very nice Mike, thanks for the tips. Would you mind telling me how you got the pillars to show up on the program? Is it just some sort of custom tall cabinet?

I believe in the odd accessories there is a column.

Mike

Mike Goetzke
08-23-2011, 1:44 PM
Man ! That's a seriously beautiful kitchen ! Architectural Digest material !

Thanks for posting...now I'll have kitchen envy the rest of my life !

+ 1 for a stealth gloat

Thanks - my wife wanted me to remove several walls in that area when we bought the house 20+ years ago. I just wanted to replace the cabinets in the old small kitchen but took enough beating that I gave in. I've done all the destruction and construction on my own. Been working at it for almost 1-1/2 years now and hope to be almost complete in another 6-months.

Mike