PDA

View Full Version : "Divided Confusion"

Dick Wilson
08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi all, Well I haven't posted any work for a couple of month....been busy with shows, turning club, etc.

Just finished this piece - "Divided Confusion". People ask me from time to time "where in the world do you get your ideas?'. I tell them they just come to me. Everyone has probably seen the ad saying "this is your brain on drugs". Well, this kind of a self portrait of my brain on turning. Mass confusion of ideas on the right and left side of my brain with a clear focused objective right up the center.

This is a front/back Red Oak wavey plater cut down the middle. Walnut divides the halves. I tried something different on this piece. Because oak has open pores I filled them with spackling compount mixed with brown powder. I think it dramaticly shows the grain pattern.

Piece is 11" by 14" tall. This will be part of my living room collection because of a serious check in the oak. Comments and critiques welcome as always.205816

Tim Rinehart
08-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Dick,
This is a neat piece, does the back mirror the front? Very nice piece, regardless of the check on the left side piece, I like it alot. If anything at all to consider, is whether the finial would look any better as more of a mirror of the lower stem...but as it is, works well too. Finials are so...er...finicky.

charlie knighton
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
very nice

Because oak has open pores I filled them with spackling compount mixed with brown powder. I think it dramaticly shows the grain pattern.

nicely done

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Dick, this is an interesting piece! I have done something similar on filling grain before, but used regular wood filler to which I have added either dye, or some acrylic paint. Usually rub it in after applying and rubbing down a coat of shellac to seal the wood a bit.

Couple of comments - is the middle a sphere or more flat? Might be interesting if it carried some of the "wave" to a center point. And, there appears to be an alignment issue with the base and finial, but camera angle plays such a part in perspective it is hard to tell. Similar to Tim's comments, I might have added a bit more detail to the pedestal to play into the finial somewhat, but it all looks pretty good from here. Sorry about the crack - hard to cut a piece of flat sawn oak in the configuration you have and not end up with one - I have had similar experiences with flat work.

Roger Chandler
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
"Artsy!" Cool concept and something not seen everyday!

Dick Wilson
08-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Dick, this is an interesting piece! I have done something similar on filling grain before, but used regular wood filler to which I have added either dye, or some acrylic paint. Usually rub it in after applying and rubbing down a coat of shellac to seal the wood a bit.

Couple of comments - is the middle a sphere or more flat? Might be interesting if it carried some of the "wave" to a center point. And, there appears to be an alignment issue with the base and finial, but camera angle plays such a part in perspective it is hard to tell. Similar to Tim's comments, I might have added a bit more detail to the pedestal to play into the finial somewhat, but it all looks pretty good from here. Sorry about the crack - hard to cut a piece of flat sawn oak in the configuration you have and not end up with one - I have had similar experiences with flat work.

Dag gum you John. What are you....part eagle eye?. Yesssss there is alignment issues that I need to address. There was an ever so slight slop in the tenon and hole of the base. I tried to hold it in position while the 1 minute epoxy set and I failed.

I will be bringing this piece to Ohio Symposium so you can really rip it to shreads. LOL

Dick Wilson
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Tim, the back side is the exact opposite of the front side.

Jim Burr
08-22-2011, 1:00 PM
Very original Dick! Nice combination of wood with the art flair!!

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2011, 5:38 PM
Interesting piece Dick. I like the artsy look of it.

Tim Thiebaut
08-22-2011, 6:38 PM
Another winner there Dick, I love this turnings on mounts you have done.

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 7:22 PM
I will be bringing this piece to Ohio Symposium so you can really rip it to shreads. LOL

Dick, actually I like the piece and think the concept holds great potential, but I do look forward to seeing it in person. How many of your pieces are you taking? I am not sure I want to fool with taking any of mine as I will be riding with Jamie Donaldson in his Porshemobile and space may be at a premium.

Sorry about the alignment comment!:o I shouldn't have said anything. I have had those issues myself, and they are frustrating. Nothing more nerve racking than tweaking the alignment as the epoxy is setting. I do use the 5 minute stuff as it gives me a better window toward the end.

Dick Wilson
08-22-2011, 7:55 PM
Dick, actually I like the piece and think the concept holds great potential, but I do look forward to seeing it in person. How many of your pieces are you taking? I am not sure I want to fool with taking any of mine as I will be riding with Jamie Donaldson in his Porshemobile and space may be at a premium.

Sorry about the alignment comment!:o I shouldn't have said anything. I have had those issues myself, and they are frustrating. Nothing more nerve racking than tweaking the alignment as the epoxy is setting. I do use the 5 minute stuff as it gives me a better window toward the end.

I don't know how many pieces I will be taking.....don't know how many I can show. Room is not a concern for me.... my van has a lot more room than a Porsche:D

Baxter Smith
08-22-2011, 8:00 PM
Very neat turning Dick. The oak part that you split reminded me of a somewhat similar style candleholder I saw this summer in a woodturners showroom. Lots of possibilities!

Jamie Donaldson
08-22-2011, 9:03 PM
John K.- I can probably fit about 50 of your sized works in Snoopy, as she has storage space you don't know about! With mid engine placement, that gives us 2 trunks!

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 10:03 PM
But, Jamie, we gotta save room for the return trip with purchased "goodies!!"

Dick Wilson
08-22-2011, 10:08 PM
John, no problem, I lots of room in my van:D:D:D