PDA

View Full Version : WOP applicator

Jim Colombo
08-22-2011, 10:27 AM
What do you use as an applicator for WOP?

Paul Williams
08-22-2011, 10:33 AM
A folded paper towel or 400 or higher grit sandpaper. I keep my WOP in a squeeze bottle and just run it onto the piece if applying on the lathe. Off the lathe I squirt a little at a time onto the paper towel.

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 10:59 AM
I use a piece of paper shop towel folded such that no raw edges are showing - hoping to reduce any stray strands of fiber. Works pretty well.

However, I also pour off a little WOP into a covered plastic container for use on the project so as to not contaminate the remaining varnish in the container. I used baby food containers and other plastic bins my DIL and wife save for me.

Tim Rinehart
08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I use a piece of paper shop towel folded such that no raw edges are showing - hoping to reduce any stray strands of fiber. Works pretty well.

However, I also pour off a little WOP into a covered plastic container for use on the project so as to not contaminate the remaining varnish in the container. I used baby food containers and other plastic bins my DIL and wife save for me.
John, I'm curious as to effects of contamination, as I don't pour off a working batch of my WOP, but instead take paper towel right to the can. In my mind, I think the wiping motion helps keep contaminants (debris) from causing blemishes, but are there other contamination issues you know of that cause issues with quality of the finish?

David E Keller
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Paper shop towel and straight from the can for me.

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 11:10 AM
...are there other contamination issues you know of that cause issues with quality of the finish?Tim, I am just always concerned about tipping the can onto a paper pad and having whatever might be on the pad go back into the can. I have only started doing this in the last few months as I was getting a lot of nubs before. May just be paranoia on my part, but it seems to help! I do all my finishing on the kitchen counter (Ms. Keeton is such a sport!!!) and having a very small container of WOP there is much more convenient and less cluttered.

Harvey Ghesser
08-22-2011, 12:20 PM
I specifically use Viva paper towels as there is no imprinting or texture on it. Very soft and doesn't shed particles. Cut in half and folded into a two inch square. Then stapled at the loose end. Kinda like a foam brush

Prashun Patel
08-22-2011, 2:59 PM
blue shop towels. No lint. Decant into a chobani-sized yogurt container, tear shop towel into quarters, dip a quarter into the container, wring, apply. Repeat. Biggest mistake I've found in WOP or any wiping varnish is getting cheap about reusing the towels.

Joe Landon
08-22-2011, 5:34 PM
I use old cotton t shirts cut into small squares. Not only is this an Eco-friendly way to re-purpose old under garments, the worn cotton is softer and not as abrasive as paper towels. Paper towels tend to also introduce unwanted dust particles.

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2011, 5:34 PM
I use a empty activa container to pour some WOP in so it doesn't contaminate what is in the can. I use a folded paper towel or a foam brush.

Cathy Schaewe
08-22-2011, 8:43 PM
old cotton t-shirts or socks. Straight from the container.
I wouldn't even let ME finish on the kitchen counter......

Tom Hamilton
08-22-2011, 9:02 PM
T-shirts, shop rags (the pull from the box variety) and paper towels. All seem to work just fine.

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 10:05 PM
...I wouldn't even let ME finish on the kitchen counter......Cathy, you do recall that you are talking with the neat police!! Nary a drop hits the counter!:D There are two pieces sitting there as we type!

Jim Sebring
08-23-2011, 12:26 AM
I use Viva paper towels (learned about them during my pen making days - they have no imprinted pattern), but I hear paper coffee filters work great, too. They apparently are lint-free.

Kathy Marshall
08-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Blue shop towels, straight from the can.

Steve Trauthwein
08-23-2011, 6:54 AM
Viva paper towels and I pour so as not to contaminate poly in can. I have just started doing this as I never seemed to be able to use more than about half of the can before it would start to thicken. I have tried thinning it without great success. Has anyone else had this problem with the poly thickening?

I will probably try some of the other paper recommendations.

Steve

Jim Colombo
08-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I had a can thicken on me but that's it was very old. I also forgot a can in my garage for 2 days in 110 degree heat. It didn't thicken but when I put it on some wood it darkened the wood so badly I had to sand it off.

Jon Nuckles
08-23-2011, 1:58 PM
I've only had it thicken when the can was nearing empty. Makes sense, I guess, as the ratio of oxygen to finish increases as you use it up. Transferring it to a smaller container or adding marbles or bloxygen would help. To prevent this post from being a hijack, let me add that I use, at various times and for various reasons or no reason at all, paper shop towels, old t-shirts, and Behlen's special finishing rags.

Billy Tallant
08-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Since I usually only turn pens, I don't need a big applicator pad. So I grab a q-tip & just dip it in my poly can. Works fine for pens.

Jim Sebring
08-24-2011, 1:04 AM
I decant the can contents into multiple 3 oz.? squirt bottles I get at Harbor Freight. I squirt a small amount onto my folded 1/4 sheet Viva towel to apply. When I'm thru with the job at hand, I squeeze the air out of the bottle before recapping it. Lasts a long time.

Rick Markham
08-24-2011, 2:08 AM
Small squares (2"x2") first folded into third, then thirds again length wise, so there are no raw edges showing. I only use, clean white tshirt (pull from the box "wiping cloths") I even iron the wrinkles out (John thinks he is paranoid.) I do straight from the can, but since the tshirt material is white, any particulates show up, and the cloth is discarded and a new one is used instead. So far so good!