PDA

View Full Version : Gross-Stabil Gone?

Ken Robb
02-21-2005, 3:54 PM
I just read in the March issue of Woodshop News that Bessey has bought out the Gross-Stabil clamp line. The article stated that Gross-Stabil had decided to get out of the clamp business worldwide and concentrate on their core casting business. Bessey also bought out their US Distributor, the James Morton Group. Bessey will now handle all distribution direct under the name Bessey Tools North America. I wonder how long until the yellow clamps are gone.

Ken

Michael Ballent
02-21-2005, 4:01 PM
Even though I do not use the those clamps, I just hate it when companies get swallowed up, does nothing for the competition. Just like when Porter-Cable, Delta got bought by Black & Decker. It will just be a matter of time before the tools change out or the brand just disappears completely. :(

Bob Marino
02-21-2005, 4:06 PM
Ken,

Thanks for the heads-up. Too bad, I liked those clamps :( . I also wonder about their future.

Bob

Brad Olson
02-21-2005, 4:23 PM
Dang it, just when I found a clamp brand that I really like.

Not to knock K-bodies, but I find that they are prone to breaking easier than the GS clamps

At least they will probably go on clearance so I can stock up.

I am kind of suprised that they sold, since they were aggressively staking out new territory in the clamping field

Karl Laustrup
02-21-2005, 4:33 PM
That's a bummer. :(

I guess I better get the remaining sizes that I don't have.

Thank goodness Woodcraft is having a sale this Thursday. At least our store in Madison is. Think I'm going to get 4 each of the three sizes I don't have.
That should hold me for a while.

mike lucas
02-21-2005, 7:36 PM
I just read in the March issue of Woodshop News that Bessey has bought out the Gross-Stabil clamp line. The article stated that Gross-Stabil had decided to get out of the clamp business worldwide and concentrate on their core casting business. Bessey also bought out their US Distributor, the James Morton Group. Bessey will now handle all distribution direct under the name Bessey Tools North America. I wonder how long until the yellow clamps are gone.

Ken I made a post on this in a different forum a couple weeks ago. I really don't think they plan on doing away with any clamps, that is if sales are profitable. Both Bessey and Gross Stabil are owned and built in Germany, that is one reason, I don't think much will change.:rolleyes:

Bessey must own 95-98 percent of the clamp market.