PDA

View Full Version : Knife hinges seized on new project

Peter Hawser
08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
I installed some Brusso knife hinges on two cabinet doors. These bad boys: http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=62811&cat=3,41419,41454

Everything was fine and then after about a week the doors required more and more force to open and close. I took off the doors and both bottom hinges were practically welded together. I put on some oil then was able to separate them. They should not need lubricant correct? I am pretty sure my doors are a good fit - they aren't too tall thereby stressing the hinges, but perhaps that is the problem? If so, I guess I could deepen my hinge mortises a tad. The top hinges are fine and did not lock up, but I thought I had these doors fit pretty well with no stress on the hinges. I really took my time on them. It has been humid as all get out around here lately, but I'm not seeing any other brass lock up on me. Also, I finished the doors with Danish Oil, but thought I let them dry enough. Maybe they picked up moisture? Sorry if I am throwing out too many possible causes here. I'm stumped. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Kent
08-21-2011, 11:31 PM
It sounds like they are getting squeezed together by wood movement?

Also, if the Danish oil seeped into the hinge, that stuff can get sticky where it is not absorbed.

Peter Hawser
08-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Ugh... Thanks Brian. I guess I'll try drying things out a bit more before reattaching the hinges. Then I will look at the fit again. Man, I thought this was over... Oh well. Still, I like knife hinges and will use them again.

Peter Hawser
08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Umm. can I ask a really dumb question. For knife hinges, in the lower hinges do the pinned parts go in the door or the cabinet? Could this be causing my problems? I had the pinned part (male) in the door.