PDA

View Full Version : Cherry HF with walnut hi-lites

Bill Bolen
08-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I found a block of cherry that had been hidden behind some bowl blanks. In the shop since 2005. Thought I'd better use it. Once completed but still on the chuck I realized how plain it would be so I cut away the top and inserted a Walnut "beauty ring". The Walnut lid of the finial is intended to copy the colors below it. 7" wide X 8 3/4" to the finial tip. Finished inside and out with multiple coats of DO, buffed and waxed.

Roger Chandler
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
That is another beauty, Bill........I think the walnut highlights are just enough to keep it from a vanilla look.......beautifully done form as usual!

Gary Max
08-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Looks perfect from here-----they all flow together and the finish is great.

Robert McGowen
08-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Very nicely done, Bill. I agree that the walnut accent added a lot to the piece.

Harry Robinette
08-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Bill
That is an outstanding piece,the accent rings are the perfect size. I like the shape and the way you raised the top above the form. You done really good on this one Bill.

Kathy Marshall
08-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Very nice Bill! I really like this one and agree with the walnut accent, and the finish looks great. This shape is one of my favorites.

Scott Hackler
08-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Very nice. The finish has a great luster to it.

Jim Burr
08-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Wow Bill!!! Smooth lines and absolute smooth finish. Great finial...because there is nothing wrong with it!! Very well done sir!!

Michelle Rich
08-22-2011, 6:23 AM
good morning Bill: I think you took lovely wood, and made a gorgeous form. We forget, not everyone can afford burls, etc. This piece shows what a good turner can do with everyday available wood. Great vessel, good turning, and good finishing still makes a terrific piece.

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 7:44 AM
Bill, you are really getting into this type of turning - very well done! Excellent proportions, good flow, and nice, crisp detailing. I like the idea of the accent rings. But, I would add my personal opinion, however, that the walnut will lighten over time to more of an amber color, and the cherry will redden and darken, of course. Some, including me, would not like that combination. However, a lot do! That is just a matter of personal taste, and takes nothing away from the fine work you did on this one!

Tim Rinehart
08-22-2011, 9:16 AM
I totally agree with all the comments to the praise on this piece, it's very well done. I think your proportions are super, the finial is nice and light (unlike the club-like finials I do:rolleyes:) and the finish is great. When I read the title, I was not expecting to like the walnut and cherry...but gosh darn...it looks really nice.
Well done Bill, a real beaut.

charlie knighton
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
very nice, good form on hf and finial

Jon Nuckles
08-22-2011, 5:45 PM
Really nice. When I saw the pictures, I thought it was a much smaller piece than it is. I have heard others say that it is the mark of a pleasing form that you cannot tell how large or small it is in a picture without context. Don't know if there is anything to that, but this form is pleasing to me. Good work.

Allan Ferguson
08-22-2011, 5:51 PM
Just lovely.

Baxter Smith
08-22-2011, 8:05 PM
Pretty wood and pretty work Bill! Makes me want to go find some cherry!

James Combs
08-22-2011, 8:50 PM
Now that is a pertty hf. Cherry, one of my favorites, walnut a close second.

George Morris
08-22-2011, 9:32 PM
Bill beautiful work! Very well done!

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Beauty Bill. Really nice finish.