PDA

View Full Version : Trim around heaters

Nathan Hoffman
02-21-2005, 3:38 PM
I've been trying to find this out for a long time - can I build a wooden "baseboard heater"? I basically want to get rid of the ugly metal radiator things that we have for our baseboard hot water heating system. Could I make something out of wood to look like the baseboard of the house, but allow the air to circulate? Has anyone ever seen/done this? Thanks!!!

David Fried
02-21-2005, 4:58 PM
I haven't done it but my house came with them. The former owner was a wood worker. They looked nice. The ones upstairs are Oak and they are doweled. But, the heat wreaks havoc with them. They tend to warp, curl, and crack. Hence, there are very few left in the house. Hope this helps.

Todd Davidson
02-21-2005, 5:09 PM
Have oak baseboard "covers" w/ decorative metal lattice on the fronts (to allow increased heat flow) in my home. I made the tops a little higher than the old metal covers to help keep the heat from wreaking havoc on the wood.

Wes Bischel
02-21-2005, 5:14 PM
Nathan,
A friend had the same issues with the metal that you do. She took the covers off and faux woodgrained them. Took time, but they won't have the problems David mentioned. I saw pictures of the room, and if you weren't looking for them, they blended nicely with the rest of the woodwork. Just food for thought.

Wes

Jeff Sudmeier
02-21-2005, 5:20 PM
We had them in our old house and had the same problems. I would not use them again.

Nathan Hoffman
02-22-2005, 7:21 AM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Todd- are the lattice covers on the entire front, or just the top portion of the front? Where is Bakerville?

Anyone - would using veneer over some more heat-stable substrate work better? Or maybe a plastic laminate that would come close to matching the wood? :confused: I'm not sure I could do faux woodgraining. :o I suppose if all else fails I can paint them a brown that will match the tone of the stained maple/birch trim.

Thanks again!

Matt Meiser
02-22-2005, 8:14 AM
I'm not sure I could do faux woodgraining.

It looks easy enough when they show it on TV, and I've seen the tool to do it at Lowes or Home Depot. I'd give it a try. Worst case, you have to repaint them.

Todd Davidson
02-22-2005, 8:10 PM
Hey Nathan~

I picture framed the lattice in 48"wX10"h sections using 3/4" oak (used brass lattice in the bedroom and stainless in the kitchen). Used 1"w"X11"h pieces to connect the frames and serve as legs and to keep the frames an inch off the floor (to be able to clean under the radiators). Nailed a cleat to the wall a couple inches above the radiator and used solid 3/4 oak for the top (attaching to the cleat and the top of the frames) and solid 3/4" oak for the sides. Has been a few years now without any problems with the wood. Sorry I can't yet post pictures - have not yet stepped into the digital camera age nor am I particularly computer literate.

Bakerville is in the New Hartford/Barkhamsted area.

Best of luck!

Nathan Hoffman
02-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Todd: one last question - did you leave the metal case on the heaters, or just have the fins behind the lattice panels? I wonder if a wooden lattice would work. Thanks!

John M. Cioffi
02-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Nathan,

A while back,2-3yrs.maybe;WOOD mag. had a project in one of their issues on how to build your own baseboard covers. Sorry I cannot provide a more specific issue,however you could find out from the WOOD mag.web site-www.woodmagazine.com.
Hope this helps.
John

Todd Davidson
02-23-2005, 8:51 PM
I removed the metal casings but left the metal heatshields/deflectors that are behind the fins on those baseboards that had them. IMHO wood lattice would be fine (thought about that when I remodel the last bathroom).