PDA

View Full Version : Lg Maple Salad Bowl

Lee Koepke
08-21-2011, 8:48 PM
So, as I havent posted in awhile, thought I'd start two threads at once :D

This is a large maple bowl that I have been working with for several months .... backstory, early spring I had a guy offer me a large maple tree that his fellow church members had taken down. Mr Dillard had one request .... a large salad bowl for their church. My little RIKON mini just wouldn't cut it, so my Creeker neighbor, Tom Hamilton has been helping me along with shop/mentor time. I have really learned alot, it builds my confidence and technique (along with the thirst for new toys). My LOML has commented multiple times that she likes this bowl, so I may have to either upgrade, or 'rent' some shop time.

This bowl is a little over 13" x 5.5" deep, right now its only been wiped with BLO, and will get a WOP finish before its delivered to the Church. Hope you like! Let me know your opinions, please.

Jim Burr
08-21-2011, 9:14 PM
Wow Lee...when it rains it pours! This one has the look of an old wash bowl, nice matte finish...simple lines. The size is cool!! Very well done!

Mike Cruz
08-21-2011, 9:17 PM
Ain't it great when donated wood turns into a gift...for both of you. The church gets a beautiful bowl. You got, not only experience, learning and fun...but maybe a new lathe out of it! Very well done on all counts.

Roger Chandler
08-21-2011, 9:20 PM
Lee,

I really like the form on this one! The flair on rim area is really a nice touch, and the foot is nice and proportional to the bowl itself.............the wood is pretty..............great that you got some time in with a fellow turner.........great learning experience, and of course a great gesture for the church......[applause! Bravo!]

John Keeton
08-21-2011, 9:25 PM
Lee, looks like your tutoring has paid off very well! I would say well done. And, it looks like the Rikon may be destined for replacement - you have been bitten by the upgrade bug!

Baxter Smith
08-21-2011, 9:48 PM
Nice job Lee. Renting shop time would become very expensive if you have a large maple tree to process. I am sure the LOYL would prefer a wise investment given the options!

Bob Bergstrom
08-21-2011, 9:57 PM
Great bowl and looks like you could be getting a bigger lathe. Follow the advice of the Creek "BIGGER IS BETTER":D:D

Bill Bolen
08-21-2011, 10:19 PM
A fine bowl Leo. I really like the flare out at the lip.

Curt Fuller
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Man that's a nice bowl!

Harry Robinette
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Really like the bowl,nice piece of wood,nice shape and finish.

Kathy Marshall
08-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Nice bowl Lee! I guess now we just have to wait for your lathe upgrade gloat post.

Michelle Rich
08-22-2011, 6:26 AM
super bowl..very appealing..good job!

Lee Koepke
08-22-2011, 9:48 AM
WOW! Thanks for the kind words, it really means alot to hear from all of you. I certainly enjoy sharing while I am learning....

Tim Rinehart
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
That is a very nice salad bowl. I'm no finish expert, but so far have found that I need to give a coat or two of dewaxed shellac to the BLO finish before applying poly. I've heard you can let BLO cure up and then not a problem, but may be cheap insurance to shellac-seal the BLO in before applying poly. Just $0.02, YMMV.

David E Keller
08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Neat looking bowl! I'd consider making the foot a tiny bit shorter, but that's a personal issue for me not a critique. Not sure about WOP for a daily user... Seems like you might be better off with walnut oil or something that could be easily replenished. I use mineral oil for our daily user pieces, and I've been happy with the look and protection.

charlie knighton
08-22-2011, 11:21 AM
very nice bowl