PDA

View Full Version : A couple of crow calls with something different

Jack Mincey
08-21-2011, 7:07 PM
It's been a while since I posted anything. This summer keep me busy as a fishing guide in the local streams and I had very little time to work in my shop. Now that I'm back in school I have some extra time and this is the first items I've made. I've made close to 500 crow calls over the last 5 years and all of them have had a red cedar mouth piece that I make. These are for a customer that wanted me to try a dense grain wood so I used ebony. They turned out to sound very good and I'm sure that I will make a few more in the future with ebony. The first one has a bocote body and the second one has a blackwood body. Both are finished with CA glue.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00320.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00322.jpg

John Keeton
08-21-2011, 7:13 PM
Jack, both are really great looking. While the combo of the bocote and ebony really works, the blackwood sure makes a classy looking call. And, black for crows, so it is color matched!!:D

Roger Chandler
08-21-2011, 8:06 PM
Nice Jack!

brian watts
08-21-2011, 8:32 PM
very nice jack.......

Jack Mincey
08-23-2011, 6:54 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I like how the blackwood turned out, but still think it is one of the hardest woods to get a good finish on. The darkness of the wood shows any defect in the finish.
Thanks Again,
Jack

Norm Zax
08-23-2011, 6:59 AM
Both are classy. I prefer the bocote. Very elegant! You always had a great eye for good wood.
I remember reading on pen making forums that CA finish doesnt stand up to frequent use and eventually rubs off. Do you have similar experience with your earlier customers? I recall BLO and CA combination is preferable. Might be wrong.
Norm

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Those are some classy calls Jack. Really well done.

Jack Mincey
08-23-2011, 4:13 PM
Thanks again everyone. Norm, I've only used CA for finish on 3 or 4 calls to date. I have used it on pens and it seems to last very well. One has to build up the finish many coats and then buff it. I've use BLO with CA a number of times on pens since the BLO causes the CA to dry faster and helps lubricate the finish during application. I was not trying to rush this call so I didn't use any BLO on it.
Jack