PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on a vacuum pump

Mike Cruz
08-21-2011, 7:06 PM
On the coat tails of Tony De Masi's thread re: vacuum chucks, I've been combing the lands for a vacuum pump. Found this Gast for $50. Now, a little birdie told me that a little birdie told him that this isn't exactly the right pump. My questions are:

Can it be used for a vacuum chuck?

Anyone out there have ANY info on this pump? The label on it is missing, so I have NO idea the motor's HP, CFM, SP....NUTIN' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I know is that it is 110/220 (as it says on the inside cover of the wiring compartment...but it doesn't give a wiring diagram...hmmmm).
It has compression.
It runs.
It really isn't very loud at all. Certainly for the amount I would use it, it is bearable...without hearing protection, even.
Not sure if it is an oil or oilless version.

ANY info would be apprectiated. Thanks in advance.

Harry Robinette
08-21-2011, 7:33 PM
Mike
A picture would do wonders to help us,No one short of Kreskin could tell you anything from that description.

Dan Hintz
08-21-2011, 8:08 PM
Mike makes a habit of making us guess what things look like ;)

Senility kicked in early with him... :p

Mike Cruz
08-21-2011, 9:10 PM
Ugh, that's what I get for rushing! See the original post, I'll add them...

David DeCristoforo
08-21-2011, 9:22 PM
http://www.gastmfg.com/piston.html

Ask em...

Mike Cruz
08-21-2011, 9:40 PM
Thanks, David. Looks very close to what I have. I'll likely try to call them tomorrow.

If anyone has any experience with it, please let me know.

Mike Cruz
08-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Good news is that I found what appears to be the same thing I got but the 3 phase model on Ebay for $350...so I got a good price. Not sure that it will work. I'll have to call Gast tomorrow...

Peter Elliott
08-21-2011, 10:19 PM
your sure that black widow didn't bite you... you've been off your game lately! :rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Off my game? I just scored a heck of a deal on this thing! Whether it is what I need or not is up in the air...

Just wait until you see what else I got this weekend. Unless, that is, Dan ran off with it after picking it up for me. It was in his neck of the woods.

Dan Hintz
08-22-2011, 7:07 AM
Off my game? I just scored a heck of a deal on this thing! Whether it is what I need or not is up in the air...
Did you say it was 3-phase? As in, "I'll need to order yet another VFC."?

Just wait until you see what else I got this weekend. Unless, that is, Dan ran off with it after picking it up for me. It was in his neck of the woods.
You owe me extra for that one... I was loading that bad boy in a torrential downpour! Nastiest storm I've seen in a few years.

Mike Cruz
08-22-2011, 8:46 AM
Just got off the phone with tech support from Gast. My pump will work! The difference between this and what is “usually” used for vacuum chucks is that this will supply a pulsating vacuum as opposed to a constant stream. He said it should have no trouble doing the job, though. More good news, the pump normally sells for $500-600!!!!!!!!!! So, call this a GLOAT! He even told me how to configure it. Right now it is set up as a 100psi compressor. But switching the two black things to the other side will make it a vacuum pump. Apparently, the only difference between it being a “compressor” or a “vacuum” is which side those little black things are put on (and whether supplied with tubing) from the factory. He said the other reason people tend not to use these is because of noise, but honestly, I think there is more noise from my lathe, the turning, and other things (like the voices in my head). For 1/10 the original cost of a pump, I can deal. He strongly recommended using a filter between the chuck and the pump. He said the dust could be really bad for it.

If starting from scratch, and buying new, I would likely get the pump that is made for lathe work…all things (like price) being equal. But, that just isn’t in the budget. Next thing to do is to switch the black things, add some hose, and check the pressure to see how much pressure it creates. He said it should pull at least 25 hg. Also got the info that it is between 3 and 15 years old.

So, anyone else using this pump for vacuum chuck turning?

Mike Cruz
08-22-2011, 8:48 AM
And NO, Dan, it is NOT 3 phase. I said I found a 3 phase version of it on Ebay.

And YES, I DO owe you for that. Thanks a million.