PDA

View Full Version : Another Gloat... had crank grinder, more info requested

Andrew Gibson
08-21-2011, 6:30 PM
this past week i let a fellow woodworker friend know about a unisaw that I had heard about that was being sold for a good price and he went and bought it. I don't have the cash so I passed it up. So today we went to my picker friends house (the one i got the LN #4 from) and introduced him to them and he bought a bunch if stuff from them. Then we went back and I helped him unload the tablesaw and move it into his shop. He happened to have this S. Cheney & sons Grinder that he had picked up a while back for I think he said $30. So in payment for giving him a hand with the saw and hooking him up with my other tool sources, he gave me the grinder..

If anyone knows anything about it I would love some info. I think it will take a 10" stone... At least thats what the clearance looks like...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Nothing to add, but "nice find"!

I'd like to get a hand-cranked grinder, simply because I do very little grinding, and space is tight enough in the "shop", that shelf-space-savings would be helpful. Everything I've found locally seems like it would barely fit a 5", let alone 6" stone.

Andrew Gibson
08-22-2011, 8:36 AM
I did a little research and I believe this is a sickle section grinder. Used for sharpening sickle bars for mowing/cutting hay and the like...

what I found is it has the arm that would hold the bar (or maybe a vise that held the bar) then the entire grinder will pivot to adjust to the tooth angle... at least that is how I guess the opperatioin would go... the Grinder would be mounted directly to the tractor.

Regardless it should make a great tool gronder.