PDA

View Full Version : Incra 5000 Calibration Question

Steven J Corpstein
04-19-2003, 9:57 PM
I just purchased the Incra 5000 and have a basic question about the calibration for the lexan scale. If I set the aluminum fence back a safe distance from the blade (say a 1/64 of an inch), the zero point of the scale will be off by that much from the end of the aluminum fence, right? How do other owners compensate for this? If I compensate for the set back, the opposite end will be short of the end of the fence also. This is in reference to just a straight 90 degree crosscut. I'm confused!!

Martin Shupe
04-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Steven,

You have probably already done this by now, but read the instruction book that came with it....I know, I know, it goes against all our manly instincts, but really, in this case, it is a good idea.

There is a section in there about cutting a test piece, and callibrating the measuring tape. If you follow the instructions it is not hard.

I just got mine a week or so ago (hidden gloat), and I was planning to write about it but have been gone at work too much.

If you have more questions, I am sure someone who has had theirs longer than I have can help answer as well.

Martin

Dave Richards
04-21-2003, 12:48 PM
I never did do the calibration of the scale because I frequently reset the position of the fence when cutting miters and so on. The flip stop (or whatever they call it) has the long rod installed in it and it ocassionally gets moved so I'd be forever recalibrating.

About the only thing I use that scale for is as a reference. If I want to make a piece an inch shorter than the last piece cut, I move the stop an inch but I don't ever look to see how many inches long or whatever.

Ron Taylor
04-21-2003, 3:15 PM
I think...

First I cut a board to random length, about 12" long, then measured if with the Incra T-Rule which is calibrated to 1/64th, same as the 5000. I placed the board on the sliding table flush to the cut edge, then moved the flip-flop gadget to the board, theoretically setting the stop to the exact length of the board.

Now is the part that seems mighty low-tech for such a precision tool.

I moved the little indicator ribbon to match the measured length of the board. Each section of the ribbon has to be moved to compensate for the "slack" at the cutting end. Notice that the ends of the ribbons overlap and that there is a transparent window in the leading edge of a section, facilitating a perfect overlap of the trailing edge of the previous section.

This process is certainly simpler than my description of it. And thus far, the accuracy is absolute. I've used it totally to cut to length. Checking newly cut board lengths against the T-rule, they have all been right on.

My main concern is that the ribbon will move with vibration of the saw. Like I said, this seems like a low-tech approach to length measurment for such a high-tech tool.

YMMV