PDA

View Full Version : Backsaw rehab question

Charlie Buchanan
08-21-2011, 4:27 PM
Looking for some advice on a backsaw rehab. I have an older 12 inch backsaw marked A. Mathieson & Son, Glasgow with brass split nuts and folded brass back. I was setting up to use George Wilson's method of "stretching the plate straight" by tapping on the end of the back. I had used the method with good success before, but this time I found that the sawback was quite snug only at the very front end of the plate. It could be moved up/down with relatively light taps at the back (tote end). I presently have the plate out of the back completely--after soaking in a little light oil it slid out with gentle taps on a wood block. Compared with other saws it was a much tighter fit at the front of the sawback but much looser at the tote end.

My question is should the plate be equally snug along its length? If so what is the proper way to snug up the sawback so that it grips evenly? (It is pretty heavy folded brass back) I assume that pounding on it is a bad idea. What about squeezing in a wooden jawed vise? Would that work and should it be done with the plate in place or out of the back?

Or should I put it back together as is and be content with an attractive wall hanger?

Thanks for your ideas.

george wilson
08-21-2011, 7:36 PM
I'd just carefully squeeze it in a wooden jawed vise,being careful to not squeeze it too tightly. Squeeze it till the gap in the back is a bit thinner than the blade. I just did that visually when making our back saws. Then,I ground a little bit of a bevel on the top edge of the blades so they would enter the brass backs without shearing off any brass.

Charlie Buchanan
08-22-2011, 4:28 PM
Thanks, George. That's a good thought to slightly bevel the top of the plate. The back has a beveled slot entrance which makes it hard to visually judge the width of the slot--so I'll go easy with the squeezing-- a little at a time.