PDA

View Full Version : Anyone line their Moxon vice jaws?

Joel Goodman
08-21-2011, 3:49 PM
Anyone line their Moxon vice jaws with leather? Asking as I just build one and have some thick leather lying around. If so what do you glue it on with? -- and both vise faces (if that's the right word) or just one? Or is it a bad idea?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-21-2011, 4:18 PM
I've glued leather to wood with both spray adhesive and contact cement and haven't had issues; although I'd avoid the contact cement if you think you'll ever want to replace the leather. I believe I've read in one of Chris Schwarz' books that he simply used yellow glue, put some wax paper between the jaws and closed them against each other until the glue cured when putting leather on one of his vises.

george wilson
08-21-2011, 7:38 PM
I just line jaws with wooden jaw liners. If you don't put anything in there,your plain jaw faces will get dented and rounded over eventually. Better to have that happen with replaceable jaws.

Paul Saffold
08-21-2011, 8:20 PM
When I built my bench-on-bench I lined the jaws with leather from Amazon called "splits". It's about 1/16" thick and suede on both sides. I used 3M General Purpose 45 spray.

Andrae Covington
08-21-2011, 8:46 PM
Not a Moxon vise, but I used contact cement to glue leather to my leg vise chops. As Joshua said, Chris Schwarz has noted that regular wood glue will also work. You could use hide glue so the leather stews in its own juices.:p:rolleyes:

Derek Cohen
08-22-2011, 1:35 AM
Although it was not necessary for grip, to protect the boards from scratches I added a thin layer of chamois leather (auto shop) with contact glue.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bob Smalser
08-22-2011, 9:06 AM
Contact cement.

A heat gun and a putty knife peel it off easily when the time comes to renew it.