PDA

View Full Version : Guitar refinishing

Bruce Volden
08-21-2011, 3:35 PM
I have an old Gibson Les Paul special I really like, made in 2004. The finish has faded from a shiny red to a more lackluster/dull red. I'm thinking of adding a pickguard in a pearl black and having the body painted at the auto paint shop a pearl white gloss. The instrument is in great shape otherwise. Any thoughts? Maybe I should have this posted on the musical instruments forum?? Mods?

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2011, 3:39 PM
Poof.................

Bruce Volden
08-21-2011, 5:00 PM
Thanks Ken---BUT---I did have it in the finish forum ;)

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2011, 5:19 PM
I have an old Gibson Les Paul special I really like, made in 2004. The finish has faded from a shiny red to a more lackluster/dull red. I'm thinking of adding a pickguard in a pearl black and having the body painted at the auto paint shop a pearl white gloss. The instrument is in great shape otherwise. Any thoughts? Maybe I should have this posted on the musical instruments forum?? Mods?

Bruce

Uhhhhhhhhhh????????????????

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2011, 5:21 PM
Seriously....I think this forum will have a more appropriate answer. Though....I have a friend who owns a music store and makes custom guitars.....he uses True Oil...IIRC......but I'm not sure that would be appropriate for a paint finish.

John Coloccia
08-21-2011, 5:24 PM

Bruce

I think most would suggest just leaving it alone and enjoying it. Guitars look better, IMHO, when they're a little broken in :) I am surprised it faded, though. Is it all scratched up? It may just need a nice polishing to bring the luster back. I have guitars that are over 20 years old that still aren't faded...they're dull but the colors are still there.

Bruce Volden
08-21-2011, 5:50 PM
John,

I can't say it's all scratched up, very minor and you have to search them out. I just acquired this last week by trading straight across my (MIC) Guild 12 string. That thing was kinda hard on my 58 yr. old fingers and joints, the LP is a real treat in comparison! I still have my old Framus 12 string I bought when station in Germany in 1973! Also a Sigma/Martin cutaway 6 string I LOVE.

I was just pondering refinishing it, maybe you're right-just play it. Sure would look prettier all dolled up 'tho.

Bruce

Shawn Pixley
08-21-2011, 9:37 PM
I'm with John. Les Paul Specials look best in either the faded cherry or TV Yellow. JOMO. I'd play it and enjoy it. Now if I made myself one with flamed maple, I might go outside tradition.

Jack Briggs
11-07-2011, 9:29 AM
You know you could just buff it out. I wouldn't paint it with any auto paint. The lacquer that it's wearing is just fine, unless the color really bothers you. Best of luck!

Cheers,

george wilson
12-06-2011, 9:42 AM
You may really hurt the value years from now,if your guitar becomes collectible. Who knows? I once,in the 60's,owned a 1952 Telecaster. Bought it for $75.00. What would it be worth today?

Dustin Keys
12-06-2011, 5:07 PM
I really doubt there will be any collector value in a 2004 LP Special, but I could be wrong. Does yours have humbuckers or P90s? What kind of bridge? A picture would be best.

I say if you don't like the finish it currently has, refinish it. There's little to lose, and a lot to gain if you'll like the guitar better in a different finish. It's hard to give finish suggestions without knowing the specifics of the guitar though. Gibson has a lot of completely different guitars that have been sold as "Les Paul Specials." It it's a P90 stopbar bridge guitar, you can't beat TV Yellow IMO (but it's quite tricky to do correctly - your auto body place probably can't do it). If it's one of the more modern configs of the Special (humbuckers, standard LP bridge and tailpiece, etc), then you could do almost anything you want to with it.

If you decide not to refinish, I'm sure you can clean and polish it up nicely.

D