PDA

View Full Version : Any profit makers with BoxIt?

Peter Meacham
08-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Anyone made any commercial viable products with the BoxIt program - or am I destined to make only hobby and give-away items for my $300 (with an extra site license)?

Martin Boekers
08-21-2011, 2:47 PM
I thought it might be interesting to try to make a musical instrument
with, start with a ukulele and work up to a guitar.

I'm usually pretty creative, but I see this more towards as you say, hobbies and gifts.
If you have an "artistic" streak, you may try your hand at "Art" pieces

Craig Matheny
08-21-2011, 5:06 PM
Lets see we can make Motif Candle boxes, card box, Banks with names on them I drew a blank

Rodne Gold
08-21-2011, 5:43 PM
Who wants to buy anything with a zillion burnt dashed lines at every join?
IMO non of that stuff is saleable unless its painted etc. Even then its really not saleable ..nothing really innovative or special or "omig-d I MUST have that"..

Scott Shepherd
08-21-2011, 6:26 PM
Maybe a nice shadow box frame to put around all those baby photos engraved in granite that the laser sales people use as emotional hooks to get people to buy machines :)

David Fairfield
08-21-2011, 7:18 PM
Task-specific software like this is a tool, if you have a pre-existing, definite, specific purpose for it, consider buying it. Otherwise, its just going to sit around waiting for you to think up a definite, specific purpose. I learned my lesson with other software, the hard way.

For simple, right angle boxes, there is free downloadable software. I use BoxMaker, and it has come in handy commercially. Its adjustable for material thickness, kerf, finger width etc. Nice little program.

Lee DeRaud
08-21-2011, 7:45 PM
Who wants to buy anything with a zillion burnt dashed lines at every join?If you make the "fingers" a little long (1/32" is plenty), two passes on each joint with a flush-trim bit in a laminate trimmer will take care of that problem, and also clean off any excess glue that squeezed out of the joints.

(I assume BoxIt will allow you to adjust the length of the fingers...if it doesn't, it's even more overpriced than I thought.)

Craig Matheny
08-21-2011, 8:05 PM
Everything can be customized .

Peter Odell
08-21-2011, 9:49 PM
I make money off of it all the time you just have to know how to sell it

Dan Hintz
08-22-2011, 7:08 AM
A wise quote, which can be attributed to almost anything we do.

Glen Monaghan
08-22-2011, 9:16 AM
Dan says it's a wise quote, but a singularly unhelpful one since it provides no clue or insight as to how to accomplish similar. I don't have the software nor use that sort of construction, and I don't like the looks myself, but I'd certainly be interested to know a little bit more about how Peter O. sells it, as would Peter M., I'm sure...

Peter Meacham
08-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Well, the neat products that the vendor showed me at the trade show (that were not actually included in the software) seemed so sellable.

I guess the old adage is still true, " A fool and his money are soon parted..."

Martin Boekers
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Well, the neat products that the vendor showed me at the trade show (that were not actually included in the software) seemed so sellable.

"

That was nice of them, That would REALLY make me skeptical of buying ANY of there products now if they missrepresent what they tell and show you what they can do.

Frank Corker
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Usually when someone has something new to share they will post a file for people to have a try of, I haven't seen anything from those who have boxit so I must admit I'm pretty sceptical. Some of it looks really interesting but a lot of it looks ugly.

Dee Gallo
08-22-2011, 11:50 AM

I guess the old adage is still true, " A fool and his money are soon parted..."

SEEMING sellable and BEING sellable are two different things. I think that using that program for making boxes out of something that does not char might be the best use. Opaque acrylic comes to mind. You can engrave on it for decoration or words and then cut.

I've only used an acrylic box for one product, which was a base/holder for a puzzle, with the solution engraved underneath (clear plexi) so it showed through the bottom and the sides were very short. I also made some with a cover so the puzzle could be hung on the wall as decoration. If course, it was a puzzle made of vintage mah jong tiles so collectors liked it. Good for a couple hundred bucks.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 3:15 PM
Every one is entitled to their opinion and there are always plenty of them here, mine included, but I am with Pete on this one. It is nice to share some things, that are legally shareable, but those of us who use our tools to put food on the table don't have to share everything. Last time I checked we are still a capitalist society and trade secrets are still allowed here, as well as Copyrights, trademarks, Patents and many other protections put in place for that purpose, to protect someones idea. If they want to share their idea that's OK and if they want to hold it close and not reveal it, that is also OK. But that doesn't give them the right to share someone else's idea.

Not only do I have the BoxIT suite but also have Artwelder, Nameit and volume 1,2 & 3. For full disclosure I liked the product so much that I became an authorized Distributor of Laser Jump Start products. That said each of us have our own little niches of products and customers we have worked hard to get and to maintain. Many people buy a laser thinking their going to hit it big and work out of their garage, spare room, basement or where ever but find out that it does take work and the ability to sell/market the products.

One of my customers just did a show in Atlanta area and we are working on a 600+ pcs for their product line with 6 different products to showcase their product, all designed and built with BoxIT. Out of the 1000's of people that were at their booth only a few made mention of not really liking the joinery but it did not stop them from purchasing. So all you pessimists:rolleyes: just keep on going because that will just keep the market open for Peter O., Craig and I and any others that understand how to use this as another tool. Is it for everyone....NO! Can you sell products designed with it...maybe. I say maybe because not everybody that gets a laser is a salesperson. But the person that sold them the laser sure was. So if you apply what was used to get you to buy from them you may increase your sales also. You have to make yourself stand out from the crowd. Either you have a product that everyone wants at a price that everyone can afford or you actually have to sell them on it.

If I sell some LJS programs, great but the real money, for me at least, is in selling products designed with the LJS programs.

Hey Lee,
Nice tip if I get some one that absolutely objects to the joint. For me it is part of the selling feature. It adds character. There will have to be a spacer for one side when you have both sides protruding out, so the router would work on a smooth surface.

Dee is correct. I make some items out of 1/8" clear acrylic and people are fascinated by them.

Being able to assemble them with NO GLUE is actually a selling feature. I am lasering an order today for 200 units. A customer showed me a box they wanted me to cut for them that was just butt joints and very difficult for them to put their parts in it, glue it together while keeping the joints lined up and have it look nice when it was dry. I made 2 prototypes for them, one the actual size they asked for and one made a little smaller so it would nest nice on a 12x24 sheet of 3mm. Because of the way I designed the box their parts still fit in it, had the proper clearance and ventilation, saved them material an the price was fair. So it was a no brainer for them.

Glenn,
Figure out what you do best, how BoxIT or any other program can be a tool to help you make it unique and go after that market. There are many books out there that can help you sell but if someone (I'm not saying this applies to you) is shy and not comfortable in front of strangers, they won't turn you into an Alpha but it may crack the shell a bit:D.

Frank,
They do have stuff on their website and Facebook. They will also make a personalized file for you. But in the license agreement, I believe it says that the files made with it can not be sold or shared. If I am incorrect I will correct this.

Peter M.,
The software itself may not have the items you saw included with the program itself but it may be on one of the other CD's like Volume 1, 2, 3, 4 or the "Ornamental Design Themes" Vol 1.

I will post something later, that I made Friday, to show a simple idea that had many people asking about it and will generate an order for it and some others with sight variations of it.

Thanks and ...

Chuck Stone
08-22-2011, 3:15 PM

I don't like the two color box joint either, so stain or dye looks better to
my eye. I didn't use the program, just modified a file someone else posted
in here to account for the different material thickness. But even creating it
from scratch is only a two or three minute job.

Martin Boekers
08-22-2011, 5:36 PM
Mike you are correct on many counts, there are some things I do here that some folks have shook their heads over.
There are products I have brought in that I thought were a slam dunk and never sold, then there were some that
I didn't think would sell that brought in thousands of dollars. Sometimes you never know.

The edges don't attract me too much either. I guess you could quick sand them though get them to blend a bit, or maybe
set up the file to burn the part that overlaps. Just some ideas.

Some here have done really well at crafts shows and others have thrown in the towel so what works for one doesn't work
for others.

On the postings..... I hope people don't quit sharing ideas, tips, tricks and vendors because without that what else is the forum about?
Years ago when I did photographic printing, I developed techniques and ways to enhance prints and consistancy. I freely shared that
with anyone that showed interest. I was told by many why are you showing all your tricks and ideas? I then told them that 50% won't even try it
another 20% will for awhile and won't achieve the same results, 29% will do it for a while and think it's too much work. The last 1% may work with it
and usually tell me of other ideas that I hadn't thought of. Then I said you want to know the secret I have that I have kept to myself all these years?
Of couse they did...... I said hard work, I go beyond what is considered acceptable, I learn how and why things work and not rely on a method.

Many I have found through they years don't want to work as hard as it needs to take things to the next level. There are no secrets if you learn how
to research and find the answers.

Congratulations on finding a niche that works well for you!

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 6:26 PM
Here is the example I said I would post.

Remember it is assembled WITHOUT ANY GLUE and when done right, like this one, it will not fall apart.
As a matter of fact it is sometimes hard to get them apart later, once you get the kerf and material thickness dialed in. Too much variance in the material thickness will not produce results like this.

What do you think it would sell for? It is 4"x4" and 5 7/8" tall and I get 2 out of a 12x24 sheet of our 1/8" Premium MDF white 1 side material. Actual laser time for 2 sets is 7min:18sec on our Trotec.

Not sure but can those free box programs do something like this? Last time I looked at it, I think you can only input the H x W x D, not use an existing shape or file. Don't get me wrong, having access to a free box program to do simple boxes is great but once you start thinking outside the box, you will need something more.

You can take just about any 2D vector drawing and turn in into a 3D box and it even compensates for curves, within reason, depending on the overall size. One guy even did the State of Texas and you can see it on LJS's Facebook.

Just a side note-I just walked from my office through the shop to the laser room and it was 103.5 degrees in the shop. Office still maintains it at 77 degrees. Laser room uses a large window unit but has to fight a large 1800 plus CFM HD Fume extraction system, with blast gates to help control the air flow volume, is still noticeably cooler than the shop.

Thank God I have working AC in the office and the laser room.:)

Martin Boekers
08-22-2011, 6:54 PM
For those that do dye sub I buy sheet board from Conde, (Johnson Plastic sells it too)
that has a dye sub coating. That would be a way to incorporate and image or a texture in your creations.

Glen Monaghan
08-22-2011, 7:11 PM
Every one is entitled to their opinion and there are always plenty of them here, mine included, but I am with Pete on this one. It is nice to share some things, that are legally shareable, but those of us who use our tools to put food on the table don't have to share everything. Last time I checked we are still a capitalist society and trade secrets are still allowed here, as well as Copyrights, trademarks, Patents and many other protections put in place for that purpose, to protect someones idea. If they want to share their idea that's OK and if they want to hold it close and not reveal it, that is also OK. But that doesn't give them the right to share someone else's idea.

If you are replying specifically about my request for a bit more info from Peter, I certainly wasn't asking for him to share someone else's idea, nor to share everything about what he does with this particular software. Rather, I was trying to say that it would be interesting to know more about "how" he sells what he's doing with it.

You actually touched on some of the sorts of ideas I was thinking about when you suggested that the burned joinery can be considered to add character to certain products (eg, you would probably have more ready success with "rustic" lines than "elegant" products with this software, as a ferinstance) and when you described how you used the features of the software to lower the cost and improve the ease of assembly on a customer's request for a butted and glued box, by offering a box-it style jointed box. And Lee likewise touched on the concept by offering that the burned edges could easily be cleaned up for those who find that particular "feature" objectionable (which could also make the joinery more suitable for a broader range of products that, while maybe not "elegant" certainly aren't "rustic"). I don't think any of that info is "giving away the farm" or taking food from your table, but the rest of the SMC community finds it interesting and likely are concepts that can be applied to whatever their particular niches are. It would have been interesting and we all might have learned a little more about how to work our own lines by hearing, say, a little about how you wound up with 6 different boxit products for the Atlanta show. Did your customer request its use, request something else and you counter-offered (as you did with the 2 prototypes for that other customer), or give you an idea and ask for proposals, or ... ?

I certainly wasn't asking for a business plan based on boxit; as I said, I don't use it. This is a sharing community where we all learn how to do what we do better through the experiences of others, and I simply was suggesting that many of us would find it interesting and maybe actually learn something useful to our own situations if Peter O. shared a little more of what he was hinting at.

Glenn,
Figure out what you do best, how BoxIT or any other program can be a tool to help you make it unique and go after that market. There are many books out there that can help you sell but if someone (I'm not saying this applies to you) is shy and not comfortable in front of strangers, they won't turn you into an Alpha but it may crack the shell a bit:D.

I guess this "Glenn" is me, but I'm confused as to why you addressed those particular comments to me... I don't find Boxit features suitable for what I do (at least not enough or often enough to be worth it to me as I rarely do anything that would involve boxy sorts of products), but I don't think that would stop me from learning something useful from Peter's (or your) experience with that particular software. (I think it's fair to say I've learned more over the years from lateral efforts or cross-discipline interactions than from comparing notes with someone else who's doing something very similar to what I've been doing.)

I will post something later, that I made Friday, to show a simple idea that had many people asking about it and will generate an order for it and some others with sight variations of it.

I'll be watching for it, and thanks for sharing!

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 7:11 PM
Who wants to buy anything with a zillion burnt dashed lines at every join?
IMO non of that stuff is saleable unless its painted etc. Even then its really not saleable ..nothing really innovative or special or "omig-d I MUST have that"..
Well Rodne,
There is not quite a zillion burnt dashed lines (though that would be a nice milestone to reach for all the dashes in the projects we make) but you got me thinking and I came up with this question(s). Just out of curiosity how many of you that may object to or are not quite sold on the castellated/box joints are woodworkers? How many prefer the bricks around a fireplace or wood paneling in you living room, game room or Den to be painted over instead of cleaned and refinished. How many have laminated, painted or metal kitchen cabinets instead of real stained wood?

Oh so back to the zillion burnt dashed lines. I just counted all the visible dashes on one project and it has 191. So if all I made was that one project, I would only have to make 5,235,602,095 of them or one for almost every person on the planet to reach that one.
Hey you got start somewhere. I'm sure many of you have heard "Think BIG or stay home" before.:D

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2011, 7:32 PM
Hey Lee,
Nice tip if I get some one that absolutely objects to the joint. For me it is part of the selling feature. It adds character. There will have to be a spacer for one side when you have both sides protruding out, so the router would work on a smooth surface.I normally don't bother with a spacer, but I usually use a router table rather than a hand-held lam trimmer anyway. You end up making an extra pass on each edge, but it's very fast regardless.

For my stuff, there is still some contrast between the fingers: just as with hand-cut box joints (or dovetails for that matter), the end grain absorbs the finish differently that the side grain.

Mark Conde
08-22-2011, 7:38 PM
Rodne -- Like a sucker I too purchased that $300 macro and found out it is cool but not really able to make product that is meaningful to anyone in my market. I wish I ran across SMC posts before I purchased it. I agree that the burnt marks that make up the joints are more distracting than they are artistic. :(

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 7:52 PM
Hey Glen,
Sorry for the 2 "N"s. Please forgive me if my words lead you to believe I want to stifle the sharing of someone's personal experiences, tips, ideas or strategies. That was not my intent. As you can see I made the key factor in BLUE. One's personal stuff is free to share as long as it does not violate the EULA of licensed software they may be using or the TOS here. Many people jump on this forum and others and the first thing they do is put their hand out instead of putting their nose in. I do applaud the few that recently admitted to going through the archives before just asking for someone to share something. I guess it is part of human nature to ask for something for free rather than put some effort into it, you know like that 4 letter word so many of our youth fear "WORK", so that they have earned it.

You wrote "I guess this "Glenn" is me, but I'm confused as to why you addressed those particular comments to me..."

That's why I worded it like "Glenn, Figure out what you do best, how BoxIT or any other program can be a tool... "

I am doing just what you said in your main reply to me...sharing some of my experiences. See I leaked out one of my trade secrets and you were able to glean it from my short dissertation. You know how it goes...20 people can read the same article and all 20 can be impacted differently or find something useful that no one else sees until it is pointed out to them.

Those of you that know and use the phrase, "Iron sharpens Iron" will probably appreciate these posts as I do.

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2011, 7:54 PM
...which could also make the joinery more suitable for a broader range of products that, while maybe not "elegant" certainly aren't "rustic"...Woodworkers have been using box joints for centuries. I don't know if this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?29243-Wedding-gift-box) or this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?21082-Some-Simple-Boxes...and-a-Photography-Question) qualifies as "elegant" or not, but it certainly isn't the mass-production kind of thing that everybody seems to want to use BoxIt for.

(Not done with BoxIt, BTW: check the dates on those threads. More to the point, I wrote a macro specifically to make this kind of box easier to lay out.)

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 7:59 PM
Hey Mark,
Sorry to hear you feel that way. If you are not happy with it maybe you just haven't found the one that may work for you or using the wrong material. PM me or post it here and maybe I can help you. If not I'll take it off your hands and find someone who could use it.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 8:10 PM
Nice stuff Lee. I remember your box macro and used it a few times way back. Thanks again for posting it.

Some people like steel and glass and some like the beauty of wood. You can never please all the people all the time but beauty is in the hands of the beholder and I doubt that anyone would say something negative if they received one of your wedding gift boxes as a gift or be afraid to display it for others to see. Just my humble opinion.

Frank Corker
08-22-2011, 8:14 PM
Usually when someone has something new to share they will post a file for people to have a try of, I haven't seen anything from those who have boxit so I must admit I'm pretty sceptical. Some of it looks really interesting but a lot of it looks ugly.

Mike I wasn't asking anyone to share their files, that is entirely up to them if they want to share them or not and it's none of my concern. I was making a point that no one (as far as I am aware) has actually posted something that they made with the program. Now you have and so we are able to 'share' what can be made by it. My thoughts that it can't be that special are derived from the lack of apparent enthusiasm of people who own the program for them never to have shown (which is sharing) what they have made.

Craig Matheny
08-22-2011, 8:16 PM
Wow it seems like it is time to throw some water on this thread :D. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion it is just like Chinese lasers are here I looked at one then decided to buy as much USA made products as possible and as little made in China items as possible. Nothing against the Chinese but I Feel this is the right thing to do with our economy so messed up. But for Rodne to buy Chinese or USA made why would he need to care he will buy what he feels is the best for him and yes mistakes will be made, but let him make his mistake and I will make mine. Everyone has an opinion and to them it is correct, and just to let you know they are stopping production on all shoes except size 11 because one size fits all:rolleyes:. Now can we all get along?

Frank Corker
08-22-2011, 8:20 PM
I think Rodney would be perfectly entitled not to buy USA made machines seeing as he is a resident of South Africa.

Craig Matheny
08-22-2011, 8:31 PM
I think Rodney would be perfectly entitled not to buy USA made machines seeing as he is a resident of South Africa.
Frank that was my point he can buy what he wants. I don't care what he buys or anyone else buys other then to glean from there experience. Rodne did a fantastic posting on the Chinese lasers and due to that many people made decisions I know one was bought sent to New York The person that bought that unit made a choice it was his choice not mine so I hope it works out for him.

What I don't get Frank is why is the comment "But for Rodne to buy Chinese or USA made why would he need to care he will buy what he feels is the best for him" such a issue to you see I know he lives in South Africa and that is the point he has no ties to ether country. And why do you feel the need to speak for Rodne and voice your opinion for him the lead in of the reply was "Wow it seems like it is time to throw some water on this thread :D. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion" Key words here "Their Own Opinion"

Frank Corker
08-22-2011, 8:47 PM
I didn't feel the need to speak for Rodney, I was expressing my own opinion.

Craig Matheny
08-22-2011, 8:58 PM
Fair enough

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 9:09 PM
Hey Frank,
I guess maybe when you say "post a file for people to have a try at" might mean something different on that side of the pond :DJK
If you had said "post a picture for people to see what you have done would have made it crystal clear for me.
Posting a file would be like a CDR file to me and last time I looked people don't try pictures.:eek:

So things that I design for my customers per their request are usually not considered open source products. I do sign NDA's with many of them and I earn their trust so I can make their products. And since they are the ones paying me... I have to keep things quiet if you know what I mean.

Because it is part of our livelihood, I hope you understand why we don't post a lot of products we make. We do post some that don't infringe on our customers or our merchandising and might be considered giveaways or gifts and items that would not cut into our sales or can be given as blessings to others.

I am going out on a limb here but I think that many ( Directed at no one in particular but if the shoe fits) that have a full time job and laser part time on the side and maybe even full time laser's may not justify programs like this because of the cost. I agree sometimes the #'s don't add up but when the IDEA clicks, the light bulb comes on so bright that it makes sense, then it might be for you. Remember your time is money also. If your laser can run for 5 hours instead of sitting idle while you are designing stuff from scratch you might find that the #'s work.

Frank- take a look here and see if this helps.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laser-Jump-Start/149196555103898?sk=photos

http://www.laserjumpstart.com/laser-jump-start-volume-iv/

click on the pictures to see more. Both of these can be found by doing a search for "Laserjumpstart" Neither of the above are mine and I get nothing from them for sharing what is already available on-line.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-22-2011, 9:21 PM
So how did this thread get sidetracked to whether or not to buy USA made or Chinese made products??? We are talking about a program that assists in the design to make boxes and more in a unique way or a simple way.

Craig Matheny
08-22-2011, 9:29 PM
LOL no it was an example to get everyone to understand that size 11 shoes are the only shoes being made any more and they are one size fits all just like Box-it or other software some will be comfortable with it and love it others will hate it because it does not fit correctly. Obviously I suck at word pictures:confused:

Anthony Scira
08-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't know just the tab and burnt edges are unappealing in my taste. I would have to spend too much time sanding and finishing to make it work for me. But the software seems pretty cool.

Anthony Welch
08-22-2011, 10:59 PM
To Chuck Stone,

That was I that shared that file. I agree it is a simple design. What is interesting is that the box/lantern didn't come first.
The wife and I were at Michaels' one day and they had flats of the votive candles on sale. I bought a box saying I'll find
something to do with them. They sat on the shelf for almost 2 years before I thought of creating the file to use them.
Since then I've used several designs in them, even have sold some with the Laserbuzz ornaments cut in them.

Anthony

Rodne Gold
08-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Craig , your patriotism , nationalism and jingoism blind you. I too would like to know what machinery/countrys product I buy has to do with the discussion at hand?

I fabricate literally tons of acrylic products for various and diverse customers , and I must say not one of them would accept those joins . Glueing and/or bending does a sterling and very strong job. Most of my customers are corporate however , there might be a demand in some other sector. I don't do MDF or thin wood ply stuff much on my lasers , Ive seen plenty laser cut 1/8th MDF ornaments or boxes at craft shops done by other laser ppl in my area and I don't see em selling like hot cakes , the burnt and stained edges that some may see as "features" to me look just ugly , but tastes differ.

Im a sucker for productivity tools for my machinery , but I have bought plenty stuff I *think* I can make money off and haven't . (like the 18 cd 1000000 pieces of clipart collection I have used maybe 3x) I have also bought productivity stuff that has turned out to be a rip off when it comes to it's cost for what it does , for EG photograv , and this has prompted me to find a DIY solution like the "Gold Method" which has been refined by other members and made free on the forum.

Anthony Scira
08-23-2011, 2:10 AM
I had to look up jingoism.........that is my word of the day. Thanks Rodne!

Rich Harman
08-23-2011, 3:13 AM
Yeah, me too. Good word.

Frank Corker
08-23-2011, 4:58 AM
Mike thank you for the Facebook page, much easier to view by jingo!

Chuck Stone
08-23-2011, 8:48 AM
To Chuck Stone,

That was I that shared that file. I agree it is a simple design. What is interesting is that the box/lantern didn't come first.
The wife and I were at Michaels' one day and they had flats of the votive candles on sale. I bought a box saying I'll find
something to do with them. They sat on the shelf for almost 2 years before I thought of creating the file to use them.
Since then I've used several designs in them, even have sold some with the Laserbuzz ornaments cut in them.
Anthony

LOL Anthony.. I've got about 5 flats for the same reason! and they're about 3-4 years old. At first, I took
some slices of a tree trunk (or burls) and drilled some holes in them with a forstner bit, left the bark on
and polished up the top. Dropped in a few tea lights or votives, put some ribbons, tiny pine cones etc.
on the front. Makes a nice holiday mantle piece. But .. still got 5 flats left! So your file came in handy.
Craft show coming up.. and I'm thinking "everyone seems to like candles, what can I do that I haven't
already seen at a craft fair?" and these are perfect.

I have several scroll saw files from Steve Good, but I'm no good with a scroll saw. But on 1/8" they
work well. Plus I've been doing pumpkin patterns from photos for years and the technique for making
the pattern is pretty much the same.. opens up some creative avenues for unique and unusual
products..

Got to finish up these flats before all the scent goes away..

Peter Odell
08-23-2011, 9:02 AM
I use Boxit to make dift and strange stuff to sell at craft shows. I bought my machine in Nov of 2010. With Boxit and a few other programs I have paid for my machine in 6 months. I am looking at buying another machine just to take to craft show. Now I have made some stuff with boxit and laserbuz software that did sell I just give it away and I put my name and number on it this has got me a lot of work doing that alone. I make the tissue box covers I make 50 at a time and I sell all 50 at every craft show. I also make the States and put magnets on the back they are a great seller.

Martin Boekers
08-23-2011, 9:35 AM
So.... Yes there are some here that make a profit with BoxIt!

I think this is where it all started! :D

"A hammer is of no use unless you have a reason for it and know how to use it."

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-23-2011, 9:12 PM
This has certainly been an interesting thread to read. I have no immediate need for a program like this, nor can I imagine what people would sell. While I have a healthy appreciation for many wood objects, I too do not find the samples to be to my taste. I prefer a more natural look instead of the significant contrast. Michael's photo gives me a better idea what can be made compared to the box-it samples and his choice of material is nicer then their samples. While I don't know what I would make, if I had the program, I would probably cut either acrylic or MDF and paint the whole thing so there is not such a dark/light contrast and keep the focus on the object instead of the joints.

Craig Matheny
08-24-2011, 2:16 PM
I too would like to know what machinery/countrys product I buy has to do with the discussion at hand?

Rodne, Let me make this simple and I will use small words so no one needs to look them up:D... The point being made was... We all buy things based on our Own needs and Wants (The laser example) and one size does not fit all (hence the shoe comment) our Markets are all different and the needs of our markets are not the same so what one feels is good for them might not be good for someone else. Rodne you got brought in this due to the great topic on the Chinese lasers (buy Chinese or Local made individual choice), sharing my choice to buy USA made is my choice.

"Craig , your patriotism , nationalism and jingoism (see def. below) blind you." I am sorry you do not feel that supportive of the country your live in. I believe there is something to fight for in America and I take offence to this comment.

The one thing I have noticed in this forum is many people read part way see something, they stop and reply with out finishing the train of thought. I can tell this was done on my post about the laser, if you would have read all of it you would have seen the connection and if you can come up with a word that stumps a lot of people then my post was simple enough to figure out.

:confused:(Jingoism is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_English_Dictionary) as extreme patriotism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriotism) in the form of aggressive foreign policy.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingoism#cite_note-0) In practice, it is a country's advocation of the use of threats or actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests. Colloquially, it refers to excessive bias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias) in judging one's own country as superior to others – an extreme type of nationalism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationalism).)

Stop and smell the roses once in awhile life will be better.:)

Michael Kowalczyk
08-24-2011, 4:03 PM
Frank,
They do have stuff on their website and Facebook. They will also make a personalized file for you. But in the license agreement, I believe it says that the files made with it can not be sold or shared. If I am incorrect I will correct this.

As I said above, if I was incorrect, I would correct it and here is the correction right from LJS-

"We do not prohibit users from sharing their BoxIt or ARTWelder created design files, by all means, if users want to share their files with others they are certainly able to do so. What LJS prohibits is re-selling (exporting/re-exporting) of our software by users who are not authorized LJS distributors. We have created a section on our LJS website specifically for sharing LJS created files, so users can learn from one another, so yes, please let the customers you’ve talked to know that there is nothing prohibiting them from sharing their design files with anyone they wish through online forums or other mediums."

I asked about this specifically so I and other LJS program users are able to post CDR files, that we have designed, for others to try.

Hey Mike Null, it's better when it's warm but still leaves a yuk taste:D but I did preface it, in the last part of the above quote, because I was not sure.

so ...

Mike Null
08-24-2011, 5:13 PM
There was no need for you to point out my long experience in this area.;)

Duncan Crawford
08-25-2011, 4:05 PM
Folks,

While I'm an amateur at engraving 'stuff' and a retired geezer to boot, I bought Boxit because it helped eliminate a fair amount of effort and design time. I've also used Boxmaker, but as noted that program doesn't calculate angled sides. As to whether items made with Boxit sell, they do, at least as craft items here in Maryland. I've had good results with wine baskets and wine racks through a local liquor store, and things like round coasters/holders, picture frames and customized tissue boxes also do well at a craft table. Granted I'm no longer trying to pay the rent/run a business, but I more than cover material costs plus build a fund for laser maintenance. To me Boxit is a useful tool, another in a list of such, and so far the "uniqueness" factor of a box joint on every edge has actually helped sell items. As my long-suffering wife notes, having a laser (and now Boxit) allows one to design (and build) most any kind of schlock stuff one can imagine. A nice supplement for the traditional woodworking shop tools. YMMV. A couple of pictures attached.

duncan

Dee Gallo
08-25-2011, 6:02 PM
Duncan,

Your designs are so much nicer than what I usually see. I especially like your coaster holder. I can see the appeal of these for food gatherings, picnics, tailgate parties and so on - they are sturdy but not pretentious, attractive but not girly. Good job!

Thanks for sharing your pix, dee

Frank Corker
08-25-2011, 8:49 PM
Duncan I agree with Dee, much nicer than the other designs I have seen, very nice cornering - I actually like all of those that you have posted and thank you for that!

Mike Null
08-26-2011, 7:14 AM
Duncan

I agree with Dee and Frank. Your work is the best I've seen and definitely not something I'd call schlock.

What is the material you used and how did you achieve such high contrast?

Chuck Stone
08-26-2011, 8:26 AM
mee too!

Some of the other things I see can look like they would come in a box that
says "Ages 3 and up" on the side, but these are more subtle. Nice!

Duncan Crawford
08-26-2011, 2:52 PM
Duncan

I agree with Dee and Frank. Your work is the best I've seen and definitely not something I'd call schlock.

What is the material you used and how did you achieve such high contrast?

Mike,

Thanks to you and the others for the kind words :-) The material is 5 mm maple/birch plywood from Lowes, finished with a Maloof-style oil/varnish finish. I'm engraving maple side up, thru medium-tack transfer paper so I have clean (almost white) wood to glue, no residue, and no uncertainties re uneven darkening of an absorbed prefinish to worry about. Using the transfer paper means rastering designs at around 20/100 spd/power on my Mini-18, 600 dpi with either Stucki or F-J dither. Using the Epilog standard dither yields a noticeably lighter result. I also prefer to glue unfinished wood and then finish, so the process works for me--

The other factors re contrast are the final finish and the (inconsistent) nature of the birch side of the plywood. I make up a standard Maloof-style oil-varnish finish (you can buy same at Rockler Woodworking). This leave the maple nearly white, and waterproofed if you use exterior spar urethane in your finish mix, but has an interesting darkening effect on *some* of the plywood. The raw plywood birch side seems to come in a light and a slightly darker shade, with sheets randomly mixed in the Lowes piles. For things like the baskets I sort for the darker shade-- when the oil hits it there's an almost magical transformation on just the inside of the piece.

duncan

Michael Kowalczyk
08-26-2011, 3:20 PM
Hey Duncan,
Nice work and explanation of your process. Do you have a part, item or sku # for the 5mm birch/maple ply? Believe it or not every store does not carry every product nation wide, since they try to use local suppliers. So your material may only be available in your specific area but with the #'s they can at look it up and see if they have it available or not.

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to laser them, the chicken baskets, out with the 5mm? I will try one with my 6mm birch and see how long it takes me.

Thanks again for sharing and ...

Duncan Crawford
08-26-2011, 3:44 PM
Michael,

As it turns out :-) I bought a sheet of the plywood yesterday so I'd have something to play with while the hurricane heads this way in the next couple of days. The pesky sticker (hard to remove) says "5.2 mm Maple/Birch B/B Hardwood Plywood" and the barcode/SKU is 9155000015. Stuff is made in China, so you might well find it in your area.

Assuming you're going to run the chicken basket files I sent to the laserjumpstart folks after I bought Boxit, each one took about 20 minutes. On my 40 watt Mini-18 the Lowes stuff vectors at 10/100/500, and I do recommend using transfer paper to avoid the mess if you haven't prefinished. I assemble with Titebond III, holding stuff in place with blue painter's tape.

duncan

Michael Kowalczyk
08-26-2011, 3:57 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I am on my way to lowes to pick up some paint trays and foam brushes already so now I can check on this at the same time. They wouldn't stock the 1/8" MDF stuff that LJS uses form their lowes up there in Idaho, so that is why I decided to be the source.

Do you use the Blue tape because your joints aren't snap together tight or did you plan it that way? Is your "5.2 mm Maple/Birch B/B Hardwood Plywood" consistent through out the sheet? From the pictures, the core looks void free. Is that normal or do you have to putty them?

Make sure you tell Irene that your wife doesn't want her hanging around too long.

Thanks again and ...

Duncan Crawford
08-26-2011, 5:03 PM
Michael,

The joints are tight, assuming the material is the usual 0.194 inch actual; my laser kerf is 0.004 inch and that's baked into the tab calculations as well. However, using the blue tape ensures that the edges stay in good contact regardless of any warp in the material, with a nice uniform/invisible glue line. In addition, on a large basket or similar, especially with tab sizes of 3/8 to 1/2 inch and angled sides, you sometimes need a bit of percussion persuasion on the last piece, which can cause earlier pieces to shift. Tape = no shift.

The plywood really is fairly void free-- those few voids I have encountered have tended to be small, like 3/8 in dia or so. For those I'll use a dark Timbermate filler before finishing, and when the Timbermate is dry in a few minutes hit that with a black permanent magic marker (immediately smeared/spread by large thumb) to match the laser-chared edge color. Applying the oil/varnish finish then seals everything nicely.

Hope you can find the plywood of something similar :-)

duncan

Joe De Medeiros
08-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I have seen a guy at craft shows who sells, what he calls money boxes, they are small boxes the same dimension as money, with birthday, anniversary wishes on them, he seemed to quite busy, mind you you don't need box-it for that. He also had larger wedding boxes.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-30-2011, 2:08 PM
Michael,

As it turns out :-) I bought a sheet of the plywood yesterday so I'd have something to play with while the hurricane heads this way in the next couple of days. The pesky sticker (hard to remove) says "5.2 mm Maple/Birch B/B Hardwood Plywood" and the barcode/SKU is 9155000015. Stuff is made in China, so you might well find it in your area.

Hey Duncan,

Went to Lowes and of coarse they don't carry that SKU down here. Found another product at Lowes with interesting grain, made in china:(, and once it is cut to size with a saw it warps like a potato chip. When I checked out the manufacturer's website it says it is made with exterior glue so I don't have to much hope in it being a viable laser material yet. On the bright side it is a sustainable forest product.

Will let you know when I get a chance to laser it.

Thanks and ...

Richard Link
08-30-2011, 6:48 PM
Michael,

Sorry to hear that as I was about to head out to the Houston Lowes for that stuff as well. You mentioned that "interior glue" was a bad thing for lasering. I recognize that the glue is really the primary issue for cutting. Do you have another type of glue that works better that I should be looking for on plywood? I seem to recall someone saying that "soy-based glue" was a good choice. Any keywords to look out for?

Michael Hunter
08-30-2011, 7:01 PM
Normally it is the exterior quality (phenolic type) glue which causes problems with the laser.
Not sure if it is a typo on Michael's part, or whether he has managed to find another difficult type of glue!

Michael Kowalczyk
08-30-2011, 9:49 PM
Sorry my head was thinking exterior but my fingers said it's too hot outside so they decided to type interior. :confused:
I have corrected it in my post.

The website says" Bonding & Strength - LFE exterior grade glue with machine controlled moisture content. "
it actually cut relatively nice except for the fact that it was as warped as a potato chip. I ended up using my vacuum table to hold it flat but then you get residue on the back side but I wanted to see what it looked like. Will post a pic later this week.

Thanks for catching my type "O" and ...

Duncan Crawford
08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey Duncan,

Went to Lowes and of coarse they don't carry that SKU down here. Found another product at Lowes with interesting grain, made in china:(, and once it is cut to size with a saw it warps like a potato chip. When I checked out the manufacturer's website it says it is made with exterior glue so I don't have to much hope in it being a viable laser material yet. On the bright side it is a sustainable forest product.

Will let you know when I get a chance to laser it.

Thanks and ...

Michael,

The main Lowes website has the maple/birch plywood listed as Item #: 79715, Model #:LBR79715 if that's any help.

duncan

Mark Conde
08-31-2011, 9:54 PM
You can also purchase true 1/8" ply from most Rockler or Woodcraft stores-- both cater to the woodworking community. Also most all hardwood lumber distributors and dealers carry it too.

Duncan Crawford
09-02-2011, 5:08 PM
You can also purchase true 1/8" ply from most Rockler or Woodcraft stores-- both cater to the woodworking community. Also most all hardwood lumber distributors and dealers carry it too.

Mark,

Yup-- Rockler and Woodcraft are good sources, at least mail order. The Lowes stuff I've been using is 1/4 inch (nominal, 5.2 mm actual) and inexpensive-- probably it's prime if not only virtue. Apart from Woodcraft (here, carrying only 1/8 inch ply baltic birch from China, in small sheets) there a couple of local hardwood lumber distributors within a 30 miles radius of me (Frederick-Baltimore, MD) and they indeed have quite nice interior/soy glue, solid core hardwood ply, in 1/8 and up thicknesses. Trouble is the price per sheet is about 4x the imported stuff, so I kinda reserve it for the more special projects or a custom order. Prototype first in box cardboard to test the math (e.g., for a box of some sort with interior shelves), then run it with the Lowes stuff and if it generally meets expectations (wife is a harsh critic of my schlock designs :-) then I'll maybe make a pilgrimage with truck for the 'good stuff' in the same metric thickness. Given the economy here I'm finding something that looks good (and meets form/fit/function expectations) made from the Lowes ply sells at craft table locations or through a local store while the same item from 'good stuff' might only move for Christmas.

duncan

Dee Gallo
09-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Here is someone else making a box joint product:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171958-Arcade-game-Trophy-s&p=1769074#post1769074

James A. Wolfe
10-15-2012, 9:43 PM
I've made a couple of tissue box covers and intentionally left the fingers long for contrast. I etched an "outdoorsy" motif on the panel with the Z axis slightly out of adjustment and turned off air assist. The effect was a rustic, woodburning piece that looks pretty good in my friends camp cabin. Probably not very salable but an interesting exercise.