PDA

View Full Version : Itty Bitty Cocobolo Box

Kathy Marshall
08-21-2011, 4:20 AM
I can't believe I haven't turned any Cocobolo before this!
I came home from our club meeting and wanted to play. I had in mind to turn a small box and try out some new bits I got for my Dremel and then try some pyro with my new create a tip pen I got for my Razor. Well, I managed the small box part anyway.
I picked up a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 12" cocobolo spindle blank a couple of months ago and it's been sitting ever since. I've been waiting until I had a project that needed a nice finial, but I decided to cut off a 4" piece and give it a try.
This wood is going on my list of favorites! What a pleasure to turn! If it hadn't have been for some bevel marks, it wouldn't have needed sanding.

The box is 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" with 1/16" walls. This is the first time I've gotten a perfect snap fit lid!
It's not much to look at and the lid shape isn't what I had originally planned, so I'm not really happy with it, but it is what it is, although it's a good thing it has the bead on the end, or there wouldn't be a good enough grip to get the lid off.
When the time came to get out the Dremel, I just couldn't make myself drill holes in this pretty wood, then same for the pyro, which is just as well since it seems the oils in the wood aren't very condusive to burning, as can be seen by my signature. It did take the texturing well from my elf tool, nice crisp cuts, I just didn't apply enough pressure as I was worried about punching thru the bottom.
Sanded to 800 and then applied Ren wax, no other finish applied.

I have a feeling the rest of the spindle blank won't last long lol.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
08-21-2011, 7:35 AM
Very nice work on the box, Kathy - particularly your treatment of the bottom. I love turning coco, as well, though I have only turned it a couple of times. I do read often, though, of those that have or develop an allergic reaction to it - so, be cautious!

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you had a lot of fun creating this little box!! Kind of a different shape to it - reminds me of something out of Harry Potter! The bottom design reminds me of the bottom of a shotgun shell!! I must need more coffee... everything reminds me of something!!

Bernie Weishapl
08-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Great looking little box Kathy. Like the different shape.

Sid Matheny
08-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Nice looking box and I too like the extra you put into the bottom. As John said some folks have bad reaction to Cocobolo so be alert to rashes and such.

Sid

David DeCristoforo
08-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Nice. I am a "big fan" of cocobolo too (it's rosewood ya know... how could you not love it!) I've never turned it but I have a big chunk of it stashed away and this might just be the inspiration I need to haul it out and rack it up...

David E Keller
08-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Neat box, Kathy! I also love turning that stuff!You might rub a little of that colored wax in the signature to make it pop... Can't remember a source for that stuff, but somebody with a better memory will chime in...

Roger Chandler
08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Nice box Kathy.......... +1 on the bottom reminding me of a shotgun shell........when I saw the pic, that immediately came to mind. [ I know, us hunters! :rolleyes:] Pretty stuff, that cocobolo........I have never had the privilege of turning any...........that might just have to change!

thanks for showing this one!

Tim Thiebaut
08-21-2011, 2:43 PM
Nice little box Kathy, I love cocobolo to it finishs up very nice.

Damon Stathatos
08-21-2011, 5:48 PM
It seems as if a lot of turners may have an aversion to micro-mesh, a perspective garnered only through observations of posts that include finishing specifics. It's something that I could never figure out because I micro-mesh every piece of hardwood, turned or not, no matter what species. I work almost exclusively with cocobolo and I can attest that going all the way to 12k grit makes a BIG difference. Cocobolo is such a dense and oily wood that the increased 'polishing' before paste wax gives it a different dimension, it gives it a vastly increased depth.

Give it a try on your next piece and please consider this for only what it is...just a friendly suggestion.

Kathy Marshall
08-21-2011, 7:30 PM
Thanks everyone!
It really is nice wood to turn and good looking to boot!
In the light of day, I think I've decided to go ahead and pierce the lid. I made the lid walls plenty thin, so piercing shouldn't be a problem, and I don't really like the lid and I don't think piercing could make it any worse lol.

It seems as if a lot of turners may have an aversion to micro-mesh, a perspective garnered only through observations of posts that include finishing specifics. It's something that I could never figure out because I micro-mesh every piece of hardwood, turned or not, no matter what species. I work almost exclusively with cocobolo and I can attest that going all the way to 12k grit makes a BIG difference. Cocobolo is such a dense and oily wood that the increased 'polishing' before paste wax gives it a different dimension, it gives it a vastly increased depth.

Give it a try on your next piece and please consider this for only what it is...just a friendly suggestion.
Damon I actually have a couple sets of micro-mesh which I use for pens and have used on other pieces. I'm shamed to say I didn't use it on this piece because I've let the workbench get a little cluttered again (understatement) and I didn't want to take the time for a search expedition lol. But I do agree that it would have given an excellent finish.

J.D.Redwine
08-21-2011, 7:40 PM
Very nice but now that song is stuck in my head.