PDA

View Full Version : Bad Axe Saw review

Tim Null
08-20-2011, 8:00 PM
I recently purchased a 16" tenon 11 ppi filed rip, a 12" hybrid 14 ppi filed rip and a 10" dovetail 15 ppi filed rip.

First point is that they are beautiful. Tenon has a cherry tote, stainless back and stainless fasteners. Mark's fasteners are top quality and the stainless means no more hacking up brass ones every time you tighten them. The hybrid and dovetail are also stainless but with mesquite totes.

But a saw is only a saw shaped object unless it cuts well. These are sharp. Did I say sharp? I mean wicked sharp! I am building a Roubo bench, ala Schwarz and am sawing the dovetail tenons on the four legs. The tenon saw performed beautifully. It is a bit harder to start than my Grammercy sash saw, requiring virtually no downward pressure and a light stroke at the beginning, but once started it just slices through the wood. I am using ash for the legs, and the saw cuts quickly and tracks better than my skill deserves.

I used the hybrid to make the cross cuts on the corners of the dovetail tenons. It starts quickly and again, just slices through the wood. I used my Grammercy sash to cut the back tenon shoulder and it starts easily enough, but takes a lot more strokes to complete the cut.

Mark's tooth filing just seems to slice through the wood with little effort. Whatever he is doing is just the ticket for my tastes.

His saws are also a bit heavier than others I have tried or own. But this is a good thing. They feel powerful and extremely well balanced. It is very easy to keep them on line or change lines. They feel like an extension of your arm, as trite as that sounds it is true in this case.

Right now, he is backed up with work, so expect to wait a while for your saw to be delivered. Mine took about 12 weeks or so, but it is was well worth it.

Peter Pedisich
08-20-2011, 9:18 PM
Tim, my experience is very much like yours.
I love my Gramercy carcase for fine crosscuts in 3/4" and 1/2", but when I want to cut through 1-3/8" of fir or cherry I reach for my Bad Axe 14" sash saw.

Tony Shea
08-20-2011, 9:24 PM
Well Tim, pretty good review...just I don't really believe any of it happened unless you get us some pics. Especially would like to see it cutting one of your dovetail tenons, or at least sitting next to them if they're already cut.

Tim Null
08-22-2011, 12:09 PM
LOL I know, no pics, didn't happen. Spent Sunday working on chopping out the through mortices to match the tenons. A lot of work in sunny CA! I'll try to get some pics today.