PDA

View Full Version : Everybody remembers their first time......

Roger Chandler
08-20-2011, 7:35 PM
Some things stick in our memory............especially the first time............

I have been turning for several years.............today is my first for one of these..............:D I had about 45 minutes I could devote to trying to learn how to do a pen this evening.........it only took about 20. ;)

My first pen.......made from a cut off from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree......350 +/- year old white oak.

Was hoping I could do it right............several coats of Antique oil, Mylands friction polish, and the Renwax.

205641 Forgive the photo..........was not going to take time to set up photo booth for this. Let me know what you think for a first one..........thanks!

Rick Markham
08-20-2011, 7:57 PM
That's a nice looking first Roger! Very cool... hopefully one day I will get to make a first pen too.

Billy Tallant
08-20-2011, 8:15 PM
Nice looking 1st pen Roger! Especially with the wood you got to use on it.

Dan Christensen
08-20-2011, 8:24 PM
Looking Good! I have a white oak pen in my pocket - I love that wood.

Dan

David Warkentin
08-20-2011, 8:36 PM
Hey looks good. I recommend for a nice high quality long lasting pen, that you turn some of that and put it on a jr. statesman.:)

Allan Ferguson
08-20-2011, 8:49 PM
Looks good to me.

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Great looking first pen Roger. Very well done.

Kathy Marshall
08-21-2011, 2:39 AM
Great 1st pen Roger! Now you'll be finding all kinds of scaps to turn into more!

Chris Hayes
08-21-2011, 7:00 AM
That's a fine looking pen Roger. Much like doing hollow forms, bowls, or whatever -- pen making gets to be quite addictive. There's as much art as science in these things as there is into anything else we do. However, the part that I seem to like best about pen making is when people actually pay me for the ones they like...if you're not careful, this can get profitable.

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Congrats on your first pen - something I have yet to attempt! I like your use of the Jackson tree for this as it is just one more way to pass the history along!! Nice work Roger!

James Combs
08-21-2011, 2:12 PM
...Let me know what you think for a first one..........thanks!

Roger, looks like a great first effort. You will want to make sure that you keep it as a first item. Put it up some place and compare it to latter ones. Now all you have to do is work on the finish, I recommend learning how to apply a multi-coat CA finish. I also recommend that on the next one turn your transition areas, wood to center band, wood to nib, and wood to finial/clip a little closer to the size of the bushings. Note the steps you have at those junctures. IMO the transitions should be more seamless or at least rounded into the bushing/pen hardware.

Again, a great effort, let us see some more. Next year maybe you will consider the pen exchange.

ray hampton
08-21-2011, 3:15 PM
are you sure that this was the first pen ?I like this style of pen but in a cigar style

Roger Chandler
08-21-2011, 3:18 PM
are you sure that this was the first pen ?I like this style of pen but in a cigar style

Yep, Ray.........the absolutely first I have ever turned........just got the pen making setup a couple weeks ago.........see thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170634-Small-Birthday-gloat&highlight=

Tony De Masi
08-21-2011, 6:49 PM
Looking good Roger and real nice use of the scrap too. I've yet to master the CA finish but I think someone said you have to try more than once too. :D

Roger Chandler
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Great 1st pen Roger! Now you'll be finding all kinds of scaps to turn into more!

Kathy, ..........your words were prophetic..........I cut up some scrap over the last couple days, and now I have a box full of blanks just awaiting my pen kits to arrive..............probably have enough to make close to 50 pens of differing wood species, including maple, white oak and catalpa..........I also plan to do some walnut as well.

Mark Hix
08-25-2011, 9:00 PM
Nice Job! You know, it's the vortex within the vortex.
First its the scraps.
Next it is buying specific woods.
Then comes those beautiful burls.
Hey, segmentation would look cool!
Acrylics and composits can't be far behind.
I can cast my own and get just the perfect colors.
Custom center bands because you can't stand to waste those 1/2" ends of a pen blank.
Finally, kitless pens that defy the imagination.

Enjoy the journey!

Chris Barnett
08-25-2011, 11:01 PM
How about a pen from your neighbor's mother's front porch (and for the neighbor) that was torn down last week (or this week by the coming hurricane...time to look for pen wood in the NE), or the favorite old school yard oak that is still there except for the limb on the ground...or the holly that had such beautiful berries...maybe your daughters would like a pen from that bush, uh...tree. The possibilties are endless and it takes so much less wood (good thing when you scrounge) to make a simple but elegent pen. Some can be sold for well over $100...does that compete with bowls etc? I have never sold...only give away, but the idea is there. Oh, and nice pen...of many to come...you are bitten.

Roger Chandler
08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Oh, and nice pen...of many to come...you are bitten.

Chris.........you may be right! I have 15 kits on order and are supposed to be delivered tomorrow!

Keith E Byrd
08-26-2011, 9:17 AM
Nice job Roger - you inspired me to make mu first!- thanks - It's a lot of fun!