PDA

View Full Version : Design advice needed please....

Tim Thiebaut
08-20-2011, 2:25 PM
Howdy all, this "might" be my beauty entry, when I started this project I was sure this was going to be my entry...as it has progressed I just dont think its up to the competition. I had a vision in my head when I started this....the lower portion would be a standard HV type of shape more or less, the upper 1/3 or so I would then shape concave back into the form....ok this worked out ok, I am not thrilled about the looks but its ok, then I added a colar of Claro Walnut as a bad catch messed up the nice clean "1 opening I had at first. So I have been trying to get a nice flare on the walnut colar/lip but I am just not likeing the results at all. Any and all input would be appreciated here...we have roughly 2 1/2 weeks until all entrys must be in, so I still have time to re-do or start something new...but I dont want to give up on this even if I do another for the contest....oh yea the main portion is BLM burl. So please and and all thoughts and ideas would be great, thanks!!

Also it is roughly "8 x "6 as it stands now...

David DeCristoforo
08-20-2011, 2:51 PM
Oooo... You gotta ask John Hart about this one!

mike ash
08-20-2011, 3:26 PM
Tim - I did a bowl awhile back that I posted here that looks very much like where you are heading. You can check it out at...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162945-SW-Style-(critique-welcome)

I had thought it was SW style, but learned that it may be more Mediterranian. Regardless....I like the look.

Mike

robert raess
08-20-2011, 3:59 PM
My first ques. ,have you hollowed it out much?The nice 'bowl' curve that you have now stops abruptly and the eye doesn't like that.The pic of Mikes work shows the gentle sweep up beginning from the widest pt. at the side.I worked on some sketches of your pc., and i think a gentle change of adding a sweep downward that is not so globe shaped.This may not be necess.,if you first work on the sweep mike sent you.Google some of John Jordans work to get an image of the sweeps i'm talking about.It's kind of hard to describe.The top of claro is imo an abrupt change of color and shape.Part of that will be changed with that upward sweep.Maybe you can remove some of the ht. of the claro, make it 3/8" instead of 3/4".Hope that helps.

Tim Thiebaut
08-20-2011, 6:17 PM
Yes it is completely hollowed all the way, a little over "1/8 wall thickness throughout the main body. It certainly didnt come out as planned, and am leaning towards starting another project for the contest....I know not every turning is going to come out as planned, but even if I dont use this I do want to finish it, its still a learning process...

Darren Jamieson
08-20-2011, 7:38 PM
I am new to turning and have only done one HF but right away when I saw this piece the first thing I thought was the walnut doesn't work. Carefully cut it back off leaving the slight lip that you have on the BLM (I am not sure what this is). Then you just need to smooth over the tight transition you have at the widest part. Maybe just roll it over gently and blend it into the lip at the top. Having a bit bigger opening on this piece wouldn't be so bad becouse once you put a finish on it the wood will do the talking as long as the over all shape is appealing. Just my two cents worth.