PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Legend 24EX Alignment

Bryan Oates
08-20-2011, 2:10 PM
Hello all. I recently purchased a used Legend 24ex and after inspection of the lens and mirrors have decided to change 2 mirrors and the lens. I have contacted epilog for the instructions on the change and alignment procedures but would really like to get going this weekend. Does anyone have this info available?

Greatly appreciated,
Bryan

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2011, 6:22 PM
I have done it twice. You really need the special tool from Epilog ($150 deposit last time) to do it correctly, but without that it is possible to get close. The tool allows you to override the safety interlock and then fire one short burst and move the head while it's turned on.

Do you have the plastic target that goes on the head? The procedure is basically to put masking tape on the target, then fire it at each of the four corners, adjusting until all four are hitting the center of the target. The masking tape allows you to see where it hits without damaging the target.

Bryan Oates
08-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't have the plastic target but can't imagine I couldn't make one. As far as the tool, how does it work. Is it just for the interlock or does it also control the firing of the laser or can I fire the laser without the tool?

Thanks, Bryan

Martin Boekers
08-21-2011, 2:54 PM
I haven't heard of the tool from Epilog, do you rent it?

On my Legend 36 EXTs in the maintenance menu you can manually fire the laser.
The first thing is to line up the red dot with the actual beam. That way you can get
close quickly by using the red dot pointer. Then you can fine tune by the actual beam.

I just aligned one last week set a new record for me about a half hour! YeHaa!

I'm surprised Epilog doesn't have this on their website under Tech Help.

I don't use the plastic piece as it no longer fits tight. I put a piece of masking
tape over the hole, then push with my thumb to make a circle indent. After that
I determine the center and put a dot there with a sharpie.

Bryan Oates
08-21-2011, 4:12 PM
Joe, When you say fire at the four corners I assume I am to move the head to each extreme corner and check the center of the fire at the tape on the mirror mount.

Thanks Martin for the detail. I guess you could laser a new plastic piece.

Joe Pelonio
08-21-2011, 6:41 PM
Joe, When you say fire at the four corners I assume I am to move the head to each extreme corner and check the center of the fire at the tape on the mirror mount.

Thanks Martin for the detail. I guess you could laser a new plastic piece.

Yes, you move it to each corner and fire to verify alignment at each location.

Of course, the target would be more accurate if made after the alignment is done!

I don't know if Epilog rents the tool, they loan it with deposit when you buy a new tube.

Craig Matheny
08-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I wasn't going t reply to this but I had to re-aline my red dot and the laser today so I tried something that I saw Trotec rep do at the NBM show in LB. On the epilog you have the side mirror that slides front to back on that bracket you have a circle that the laser fires through then hits the mirror to my surprise the target fits on there (if you do not have the dot then put tape on the inside) fire the laser now line up your red dot (adjust screws on the laser tube nose area to the laser mark / burn. At this point adjust the two rear mirrors (Orange Box) until the red dot is dead on. Move the target or new tape on the laser head now finish by adjusting the front mirror in the far right rear and front location. Doing it this way took less then 10 minutes for the complete adjustment. By aligning the red dot to the burn mark from the test fire you do not need to fire the laser again or get a test item from Epilog. Once the red dot is in sync with the laser beam it will be dead on for your alignment as in Epilog the laser and pointer run the same path

Good Luck