PDA

View Full Version : If given a choice of these 2 which would you pick

John Weber
02-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Ok, how would you spend $300, if given the choice between a Lie-Nielsen 4-1/2 York Pitch Hand Plane and a Festool RO125 5” Rotex Sander. I know this will fall mostly along the lines of hand tool guys and power tools guys, but I was curious. So if someone gave you $300 and said pick from these two, which would you pick? Both tools are near the tops in their respective categories, and a cheap sander or hand plane can be had for less then $20, that could be argued will do the job – well sort of. I know many would say neither, I’d rather spend the money on this or that, but that doesn’t count for this poll.

John

Mike Cutler
02-21-2005, 12:22 PM
The Plane. A sanding block still works. but a plane is specific. Additionally, The plane will still be "working" in 100 years, will the sander? :rolleyes:

Tom LaRussa
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok, how would you spend $300, if given the choice between a Lie-Nielsen 4-1/2 York Pitch Hand Plane and a Festool RO125 5” Rotex Sander. I know this will fall mostly along the lines of hand tool guys and power tools guys, but I was curious. So if someone gave you $300 and said pick from these two, which would you pick? Both tools are near the tops in their respective categories, and a cheap sander or hand plane can be had for less then $20, that could be argued will do the job – well sort of. I know many would say neither, I’d rather spend the money on this or that, but that doesn’t count for this poll.

John
Sanders are great if your intention is to crush the surface fibers of the wood and pack the grain with crud, (not to mentione spewing noxious dust everywhere).

But if you want to produce a beautiful finish in quality wood you need a tool with an edge that will shear those fibers cleanly.

I'd go with the LN in a heartbeat.

Per Swenson
02-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I voted for the plane, only because I own 4 festool sanders.

Now if this was not the case..........Festool.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Well I had to say the sander, but I am behind 2 to 8 :) Sounds like most so far would use the plane. As of right now, I am a power tool junkie, however I am looking at the hand tools with more and more interest :)

Frank Pellow
02-21-2005, 1:11 PM
I voted for the sander. Somebody has to.

Keith Christopher
02-21-2005, 1:20 PM
I would go with the plane as well. So many more uses. Also I'm a little biased and wouldn't pay that much for a ROS, I'm not fully sold on the Festool like everyone else here. I've read the marketing ads and what people say, but I don't think it routs or sands any better than say a PC ROS or a hitachi router. However money spent on a hand plane, will surely get you better quality/cut.

No offense to black -n- green owners here, I just see them like owing a gucci, eccentric. I may one day buy one, who knows, but now, this is how I feel.

Keith

Jim Becker
02-21-2005, 1:23 PM
While I'm an avowed Festoolie...I already have two black and green sanders, so the plane got the nod! (Although I might pick a different model simply because my collection is not as, um...robust...as yours is!)

Gene Collison
02-21-2005, 1:40 PM
John,

Guess which one I voted for?

Gene

John Miliunas
02-21-2005, 1:45 PM
Dang it, Bob M. is gonna' kill me, but I too have to go with the LN. I already have 3 Festool sanders, which do me a nice job already. :) Well, OK...So I have the LN 4-1/2 already, as well BUT, it's the standard angle. That Yorkie would be a perfect mate for it.:D :cool:

Tom Scott
02-21-2005, 2:06 PM
The L-N is a tool to last generations. Besides, it's more versatile, produces a better finish, and looks darn good. I would pick the plane...wait, I already did...and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Tom

Steve Clardy
02-21-2005, 2:48 PM
Neither. I am full up on sanders, 5 or 6. And I don't do planes. Lol

Mark Singer
02-21-2005, 2:55 PM
It is like apples and oranges....I can't pick

I have the ROS 125 and really like it!
I have a couple of York phich planes...nice too.

I bottle of Jordan Cab...too.

Byron Trantham
02-21-2005, 3:01 PM
Since I don't have a clue what this particluar plane is used for I voted for the sander. That said, I'm getting into planes. :D

Ken Garlock
02-21-2005, 6:13 PM
Without a doubt I would buy the L-N 4 1/2 plane. I know that I am paying for a quality tool when dealing with L-N while keeping the money in the USA. :cool: Second, I also know that I can get a sander for less than $100. :eek:

Frank Pellow
02-21-2005, 9:39 PM
Without a doubt I would buy the L-N 4 1/2 plane. I know that I am paying for a quality tool when dealing with L-N while keeping the money in the USA. :cool: Second, I also know that I can get a sander for less than $100. :eek:
You certainly can't get a sander that does as much as a Rotex and does it all so well for that.

Tom LaRussa
02-22-2005, 12:02 AM
You certainly can't get a sander that does as much as a Rotex and does it all so well for that.
Frank,

This question is slightly tongue-in-cheek, but I have to ask it anyway.

What exactly does a Rotex do, besides sanding? :confused:

Scott Parks
02-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Gee, Tom,
If I had a Rotex, I'd buff and polish my car!!! And truck too!

I voted for the Rotex....

Tom LaRussa
02-22-2005, 12:04 AM
No offense to black -n- green owners here, I just see them like owing a gucci, eccentric. I may one day buy one, who knows, but now, this is how I feel.
I do sometimes wonder...

If the US dollar were to become massively strong, so much so that a buck could buy two Euros, thus making Festools more nearly even in price with the likes of PC, Makita, etc, would their popularity drop?

Tom LaRussa
02-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Gee, Tom,
If I had a Rotex, I'd buff and polish my car!!! And truck too!

I voted for the Rotex....
If I could afford a Rotex, I'd probably have somebody else polish the Porsche and the Land Rover for me. ;)

Mike Holbrook
02-22-2005, 1:27 AM
Ohhh, just buy a LN large cabinet scraper then you don't need to sand things :) Am I sounding like a Neander..... You get a LN and save on dust collection too!

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 7:13 AM
Frank,

This question is slightly tongue-in-cheek, but I have to ask it anyway.

It does agressive sanding (of the type one might use a belt sander for), it does finishing sanding, it buffs/polishes, the sandpaper seems to last much longer than with other sanders, it does not create any dust.

I do sometimes wonder...
If the US dollar were to become massively strong, so much so that a buck could buy two Euros, thus making Festools more nearly even in price with the likes of PC, Makita, etc, would their popularity drop?
You seem to think that I bought a Festool Rotex sander because it cost a lot. I bought it in spite of the fact that it cost a lot. In the end (which will be a very long time from now), I am convinced that the Festool Rotex sander will save me money.

Comment on the Poll: I am glad to see the the percentage of people opting for the sander in increasing. It is up to 40% whereas it once stood at about 15%.

John Miliunas
02-22-2005, 9:00 AM
There is something else to consider in making such a decision. (Mind you, this is coming from a Festool junkie!) Long, long term consequences: First, with even moderately good care and feeding, the LN will last your lifetime, your kids' lifetime, the grandkids can enjoy it and so on and so forth. Secondly, if any one of those people decides they no longer want/need it, there's a real good chance they'll recover the majority of its original cost! Wait long enough, maybe even more! I doubt one would be able to say the same about most portable power tools.:) :cool:

Tom LaRussa
02-22-2005, 11:12 AM
You seem to think that I bought a Festool Rotex sander because it cost a lot.
Frank,

I apologize for giving that impression.

I absolutely do not think that you bought a Rotex because it cost a lot.

I have no doubt, however, that there are some who buy Festool at least in part because they are so expensive. Whether they admit it, (to themselves or to others), is of course a whole different question.

Let's face it, we've all known individuals who purchase an expensive car, house, set of golf clubs, or whatever at least in part because they like owning something that is too expensive for most others to own. It's an ugly side of human nature to be sure, but human nature nonetheless.

In regard to the original question of which to buy, I must admit that I have a deep prejudice against sanded surfaces in general. I think that sanding any more than is absolutely necessary only detracts from the beauty of wood. To me, therefore, any sander is nothing more than a glorified paint/rust stripping tool, so I can't see spending any more than is absolutely necessary on one.

But that's just me.

YMMV

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Frank,

I apologize for giving that impression.

I absolutely do not think that you bought a Rotex because it cost a lot.

I have no doubt, however, that there are some who buy Festool at least in part because they are so expensive. Whether they admit it, (to themselves or to others), is of course a whole different question.

Let's face it, we've all known individuals who purchase an expensive car, house, set of golf clubs, or whatever at least in part because they like owning something that is too expensive for most others to own. It's an ugly side of human nature to be sure, but human nature nonetheless.

In regard to the original question of which to buy, I must admit that I have a deep prejudice against sanded surfaces in general. I think that sanding any more than is absolutely necessary only detracts from the beauty of wood. To me, therefore, any sander is nothing more than a glorified paint/rust stripping tool, so I can't see spending any more than is absolutely necessary on one.

But that's just me.

YMMV
OK.

I understand your prejudice against sanded surfaces. Maybe someday I will take the time to get good enough and fast enough with scrapers and planes that I can minimize my use of sanders. But, that day is probably a long way in the future.

Jay Knoll
02-22-2005, 11:41 AM
I do sometimes wonder...

I am constantly amazed at how often we get into bashing Festools because they "are expensive". I guess a proper response to the question would be " would more people be buying them and not complaining about the price?

As if the L-N plane isn't expensive! Come on, why not suggest buying a stanley on ebay if that is the issue.

Both are wonderful tools, but you really need a dust extractor to realize the full benefits of the Rotex. The lack of dust is simply amazing. I'm not going to plane every surface I work on -- so that is where the Roptex comes into its own.

Steven Wilson
02-22-2005, 1:51 PM
I have the 6" Rotex and the LN 4 1/2, which one to buy first depends on what your capabilities are and what your shop needs.

Ken Garlock
02-22-2005, 2:17 PM

If it doesn't fix dinner, and sweep the floors, it is just another sander. ;)

Mark Singer
02-22-2005, 2:36 PM
Not every piece of furniture can be hand planed....The Maloof Chairs are sanded...that is true of most chairs. Very difficult woods can really only be sanded. For many that are just starting to collect and use planes it is a bit optomistic and unrealistic to think you can use just hand planes. If you are mixing solid wood and veneer , like in my workstion tops, planing the border flush will tear the veneer....I used a #78 with the fence set a 32nd back and brought the trim close...then it required sanding. The Rotex has the advantage of rough sanding and shaping with decent dust collection. Something air powered sanders and belt sanders don't offer. Then they have a 3 year warranty....others have a one year typically. The Festool Rotex 125 is also similar in price to the Bosch dual mode. People that collect planes can only use one at a time! Like cars or fine watches....there is a lot of redundancy...#4, #4.5, #3. primus reform. etc...all basically do the same thing. The choice here should be about the work you are going to be doing. About the time I bought the Rotex, I also got the LV low angle Jack, a LN 140, and a LN102...I love all 3 planes, but so far the Rotex has been put to work and the planes have been sitting waiting to come to bat

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 3:20 PM
If it doesn't fix dinner, and sweep the floors, it is just another sander. ;)
With this sander, there is no need to sweep the floors. :D

Chris Padilla
02-22-2005, 3:25 PM
Hmm, no Festool handplane or Lie-Nielson ROS to pick from? I don't know how to vote now!!!

:(

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 4:08 PM
Hmm, no Festool handplane or Lie-Nielson ROS to pick from? I don't know how to vote now!!!

:(
Well, there is a Festool handplane; but it requires a bit of electrical assistance. ;)

Tom LaRussa
02-22-2005, 4:20 PM
I am constantly amazed at how often we get into bashing Festools because they "are expensive". I guess a proper response to the question would be " would more people be buying them and not complaining about the price?
I guess, but I don't remember ever seeing anyone complaining about the price -- not among those who buy them, that is.

But since we're on the subject, I do see quite a few people referring to Festools as though they were the only tools on the planet. For example, quite often I see posts titled along the lines of "Should I buy a GX782 or a AB234 first?" (GX782 and AB234 substituting for Festool model numbers, of which I don't know any.)

The apparent assumption behind such posts would seem to be that anyone who does not immediately recognize the Festool by its model number is simply not worth conversing with.

As if the L-N plane isn't expensive! Come on, why not suggest buying a stanley on ebay if that is the issue.
I very well might have, except that the question was posed as either the Rotex or the LN.

BTW, most of my metal planes are old Stanleys, with the exception of a Miller's Falls Number 16 or 18, (can't remember the model number off hand, it's the standard pitch, adjustable-mouth block plane, quite similar to a Stanley 9 1/2), and a couple of Sargent-made Craftsmans, (also similar to the Stanley 9 1/2).

Both are wonderful tools, but you really need a dust extractor to realize the full benefits of the Rotex.
Ah-HAH! :eek:

Now I've got you!

So, how much more do I need to pay if I want to sand and breathe at the same time? :D

The lack of dust is simply amazing.
Sounds almost like planing, except for the noise all... ;)

I'm not going to plane every surface I work on -- so that is where the Roptex comes into its own.
Hmmm... That's what John Miliunas used to say -- before he changed his name to John Miliunas-Lie-Nielsen-Valley. ;) :p

Tom LaRussa
02-22-2005, 4:36 PM
The choice here should be about the work you are going to be doing.
Mark,

That is quite true. Both the work one is doing and the context in which one is doing it effect our choices.

For those who need to get pieces done in a certain time frame for financial reasons, then I can see the need to sand.

But as demonstrated by my poll several days ago, the vast majority of us do not even try to make money at woodworking. So for most of us, where is the hurry?

Also, the mere fact that a surface is curved, or made of difficult wood, does not necessitate sanding -- at least not to any large extent.

For example, my Marilyn saw, (pic below), which is made from birdseye maple, was cut out on a band saw, shaped with Nicholson pattern maker's rasps, surfaced with a card scraper, and then given a final light sanding with a very fine 3M hand pad.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tomlarussa/marilynsaw.jpg

John Weber
02-22-2005, 5:54 PM
Ok guys let's leave the finer points of the discussion alone. I simply did the poll as a quick way to see which way people would lean. I really though more would lean toward the sander, but with the recent surge in hand planes that might explain some of the voting. Regardless I though it was interesting as well as the comments (well most of them). I think it comes down to what we each individually value, and level of resources for our hobby. No right or wrong answer. I have the hand plane and would like the sander, especially if my DeWalt dies someday.

Thanks for participating and giving some interesting insights.

John

P.S. Tom, nice saw, I guess it's good I didn't include it in the poll, it looks wonderful, how does it cut?

Mike Cutler
02-22-2005, 6:16 PM
I think I may need to add a "slight" retraction/clarification here. In my reply, when I questioned whether or not the sander would be working in 100 years it had nothing to do with the quality or longevity of the Festool Sander or the value of the sander after time, it had to more to do with a larger question, will any of the electric tools we purchase now.
When we look at the advancements in technology over the last 100 years, will all of our "forked tail" tools be quaint antiques from the bygone halcycon era of wired electricity 100 years from now? will we even have duplex receptacles to plug stuff into? will the standard still be 120vac? This was my thought process for the statement.
If I offended any one, it was not my intent at all. :)

John Weber
02-22-2005, 6:33 PM
Mike,

I think you are exactly right. It even goes as far as comparing consumer electronics to ww equipment. It pains me to spend lots of money on a computer, stereo, TV, when I know 5, 10, 15 years from now it will be in the dump. Whereas a cabinet saw will last my lifetime and even my childrens. Now the Sawstop and similar technology may start to change that, but I'm sure when I'm gone my LN's will be worth more then I paid (it's almost that way now if you watch ebay), while not an investment - it's a nice feeling.

I don't think you offended anyone, I just thought the thread needed a slight adjustment in direction.

John

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 7:17 PM
But since we're on the subject, I do see quite a few people referring to Festools as though they were the only tools on the planet. For example, quite often I see posts titled along the lines of "Should I buy a GX782 or a AB234 first?" (GX782 and AB234 substituting for Festool model numbers, of which I don't know any.)

That is a problem Tom, and I really dislike it when people do that. :(

However, the problem is not limited to Festool references. :( For example, I frequently see Grizzly part number number references that I need to look up if I want to be understand what type of tool is being discussed. By the way, I usually need to look up Festool references as well -I may like Festool stuff but I certainly have not memorized their part numbers.

So come on everyone, lets clean up our act and always provide sufficient context when referencing tools.

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 7:41 PM
Fuel cells and miniature nuclear reactors will replace the tails...or we may grow some of our own... ;)

Mark Singer
02-22-2005, 9:04 PM
I don't really buy tools as an investment. It is probably true that the value of handtools will surpass that of power tools over time. I have a lot of my Fathers saws and planes and still use them....it is a nice feeling. A few were even my grandfathers! Senitments aside, the real value is what it will do for you and your work. What it is worth in 50 years is not relavant if it won't help you now! Unless you are just collecting and not building. I went through many Skil saws when we were framing...they ended up trash eventually....but they really did their job when they were used. Each tool has a different purpose and one cannot replace another. It is difficult to compare a plane to a sander. We tend to get more attached to hand tools ...they are more personal..you feel connected to them. Still if you are shapping wood a sander like the Rotex is a valuable asset...and I am quite familiar with rasps spokeshaves, rifflers and scrapers. The masters of shaped pieces use power sanders...that is a fact! .I often feel that on just one project, buying the tool paid for itself......That is the real value....in the work it performs....if some day it becomes even more valuable as a collectable that is nice....if it does no work...it does not really have any value. It becomes like Collecting Baseball cards ...you become a collector.....

Gary Max
02-22-2005, 9:11 PM
I never can figure out where the cord is on one of them planes

Steve Clardy
02-22-2005, 9:25 PM
Fuel cells and miniature nuclear reactors will replace the tails...or we may grow some of our own... ;)
Lol. Good one Jim.:eek::D:D

John Weber
02-22-2005, 9:31 PM
Mark,

I don't disagree, and understand tools only real purpose is to help us do work, so I guess I'm glad my daughter now uses my $3,500 desktop, and my newest machine cost less then half that and will do so much more. It's just nice to know with the purchase of a quality hand tool or a larger piece of equipment that it will last for my lifetime use in the hobby. I've gone through most of my starter tools, several drills, saws, cheaper sanders and the like, and now have an array of equipment that allows me to do most anything I want with accuracy and efficiency. I guess I'm a bit of a collector, but I enjoy having and using the tools I own. Many might even be considered luxuries, but it's my hobby and that is what I like.

John

Mark Singer
02-22-2005, 9:56 PM
John,

I agree...it is eactly the same for me....I buy great stuff and I use it! That is its true value. I do like admiring them a bit...then the next project comes and off we go....

Greg Mann
02-22-2005, 11:50 PM
As an owner of both the Festool Rotex and the 4 1/2 York pitch LN smoother I am a little resentful of the notion that either purchase was the result of some marketing seduction. Could I have purchased a cheaper sander or plane? Of course. But if there is truth to the adage that "A fool and his money are soon parted", as has so often been implied over the purchase of either of these brands, then how on Earth did I, and quite a few others, ever manage to hold on to enough of it to be able to make these purchases in the first place? :rolleyes:

Greg

John Miliunas
02-23-2005, 8:13 AM
Like John W., I guess I'm a bit of a "collector", as well. But, having said that, at least at this stage of my life, I don't "collect" any tools which I can't readily use! When given the opportunity, I would much rather use high-quality tools to accomplish the task at hand. Being pretty much a "newbie" in all of this, I find that if a better tool is used to do that, I have one less "excuse" for the final product not being right. It really helps to keep me more aware of what I'm doing. Also, I get kind of irritated with the notion that, some folks will go and buy one of those 4X4 SUV's or pickups with the *complete* off road package and brag to everyone how they can "go anywhere". In reality, the minute there's a speck of dust on the paint, they're washing it and there's a real, real good chance the vehicle will not see as much as a blade of grass, much less an off-road trail!:confused: In other words, if you can afford it, get the best, but USE it! Both choices presented here are of the highest quality available and, regardless of the poll results, either one is a super choice for whomever is going to USE it!:) :cool:

Frank Pellow
02-23-2005, 8:18 AM
Like John W., I guess I'm a bit of a "collector", as well. But, having said that, at least at this stage of my life, I don't "collect" any tools which I can't readily use! When given the opportunity, I would much rather use high-quality tools to accomplish the task at hand. Being pretty much a "newbie" in all of this, I find that if a better tool is used to do that, I have one less "excuse" for the final product not being right. It really helps to keep me more aware of what I'm doing. Also, I get kind of irritated with the notion that, some folks will go and buy one of those 4X4 SUV's or pickups with the *complete* off road package and brag to everyone how they can "go anywhere". In reality, the minute there's a speck of dust on the paint, they're washing it and there's a real, real good chance the vehicle will not see as much as a blade of grass, much less an off-road trail!:confused: In other words, if you can afford it, get the best, but USE it! Both choices presented here are of the highest quality available and, regardless of the poll results, either one is a super choice for whomever is going to USE it!:) :cool:
Well put John. I could not agree more.

Jay Knoll
02-23-2005, 9:35 AM
As an owner of both the Festool Rotex and the 4 1/2 York pitch LN smoother I am a little resentful of the notion that either purchase was the result of some marketing seduction. Could I have purchased a cheaper sander or plane? Of course. But if there is truth to the adage that "A fool and his money are soon parted", as has so often been implied over the purchase of either of these brands, then how on Earth did I, and quite a few others, ever manage to hold on to enough of it to be able to make these purchases in the first place? :rolleyes:

Greg

I couldn't agree more! There seems to be a constant "tone" with repect to certain tools in this thread. I am just beginning to see the full benefits of the Festool line -- the real gripe should be how crummy their manuals(?) are! Good thing John Lucas is publishing stuff on his website.

Someone once said, I can't afford to buy the cheap one. I learned this the hard way when I bought a Stanley 608 on Ebay instead of waiting and buying a LN "big guy" when I could afford it. Purchasing good tools that give you confidence is the way to extend your capabilities.

Good thing the "tool police" don't start looking past our workshops and look at the vehicles we are driving -- I can imagine the amount of unsolocited advice we would all be getting concerning our decisions in that part of our lives. :D

What I'd like to hear is opinions/observations from people who are using the tools they bought, what ever they are. I don't need gratitous comparisons/comments from people who haven't used one. Tell me what worked and what didn't -- for example, look at how Frank used the MultiFunction Table (MFT) to cut the kerfs for his drawers -- and how quickly!

Oh, and if you're bored with my comments, or others, then just cruise on to the control panel and add my name to the ignore list -- I've used it recently and it certainly has cleared away a bit of "chaff" on the postings I read.

Paul Geer
02-23-2005, 9:45 AM
No doubt for the money, the plane.

Tom LaRussa
02-23-2005, 1:25 PM
Gary,

They work on tiny little batteries that recharge when the sole is rubbed across anything made of wood. ;)

Mark Singer
02-23-2005, 3:25 PM
What I'd like to hear is opinions/observations from people who are using the tools they bought, what ever they are. I don't need gratitous comparisons/comments from people who haven't used one. Tell me what worked and what didn't -- for example, look at how Frank used the MultiFunction Table (MFT) to cut the kerfs for his drawers -- and how quickly!

.Jay,
I agree. I have the ROS 125 and bought it to help create the more shapped pieces that I make. This is similar to my lamps, one legged table, or dining chairs. The parts are typically bandsawed to a rough form, sometimes routed to a pattern, then spokeshaved, and shaped with a series of rasps. The transitions are difficult , especially the concave ones. Here Maloof , DiNovi, Randy Baeder and others use auto body type sanders. When I visited Maloof a while ago, I asked him if a part were spokeshaved....he laughed and said it was too difficult and showed me several of these sanders.
I was getting the parts very close by hand and using an angle grinder to transition with a rough flexible abrasive disc. Sawdust is uncontrolable when this is being done. I hate wearing a mask! The Rotex seems like a great tool to make the transitions and blend surfaces. After scorping a chair seat, it is a nice way to refine the rough form. The dust collection and soft pad options seem perfect. For chairs that are made from seperate parts and joined in a more traditional manor....it is not as important a tool. For me it seems to fill a gap between power and hand tools. If you desired a hand finished surface, you could use a rounded scrapper. The rasps , even a Nicholson #50 leaves a heavy texture....I love the feeling of shaping with it ...then you need to refine the texture and profile and machine sanding is first. Ending with 3M sanding pads. If the Rotex is used as a normal ROS...it does not have this added value to a shop and a normal ROS would work just as well.

Per Swenson
02-23-2005, 6:00 PM
O.k. I have been asked to post some pics, but first, for those who don't
Know. I make my living at this. I do not want to add to any controversy,
So remember this is my opinion. Also, I am a bonifide tool gatherer.

All tools have their merits, and their
purpose. Alot depends on the users experience. Lets not forget attitude.
Some believe the only real furniture finish comes from a shaving horse
and a hand plane, mix their own finish from a 125 year old formula, and shoot their own badger with a flintlock to get hairs for their brushes.
That's nice , but I have to eat.
What I am about to say is sure to offend some and'this is not my intention. I am asking in advance please don't clobber me with a stick.
The sander, plane, issue is malarkey! You can get (with practice) a museum
Quality finish with a random orbital sander. And , this I can't prove because you are not here, you can not tell the difference between a properly
sanded or hand planed surface. Period. So what this comes down to,
is not the tool, but how you feel about what you do.
The finish on the pictures below are from three sanders. Festool rotex,festool 150-3 and the festool linear sander. No dust was circulated
during this project.

Jay Knoll
02-23-2005, 6:06 PM
O.k. I The finish on the pictures below are from three sanders. Festool rotex,festool 150-3 and the festool linear sander. No dust was circulated
during this project.

Per that is fantastic work, so tell us, how did you do it! If you've got the time, don't want to take you away from paying customers.

Jay

Per Swenson
02-23-2005, 9:56 PM
Thank you for your kindness.
If the check dosen't bounce, I have been commisioned to build
a 30 foot ,front and back bar. Complete with carvings, coffered cielings
and marquetry inlaid top. In order to get the look I want, I simply make everything from the same stock. A room this size will take about 1800 bd.ft. of roughsawn mahagony. Unfortunately we are still in last minute negotiations,
if all goes well,(I suspect they will) I could post updates on the process.
This would be a long job, 4 mos plus installation. If there is intrest, I
would be happy to share. Per

Dino Makropoulos
02-23-2005, 10:02 PM

My friend Ken.
In EU they love the L-N. And the Festool.
Quality and innovation must be rewarded.
Our "patriot' feelings can be in better use if we reward the CO. who cares about quality and innovation.
Yes,I know who Festool is and I have "few" of their tools. my son Chris is a student carpenter and after I demo the Fest-tools to him...I' can't take them back. ;) I'm sure when I' show him the L-N ...I will lose it too ;)

Tom. You're at your own on this one. :D

Bob Marino
02-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi Per,

Beautiful finish on that bartop and you really get the scope of the project with the larger picture. So how do you and Robert split up the work?

Bob

Frank Pellow
02-23-2005, 10:27 PM
That's a great finish Per! I have two of the three sanders that you listed :) but not the skill :( that you have in order to produce something so beautiful.

Per Swenson
02-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi Mr. Marino,

I am not sure how to phrase this but, lets say Bob holds a honorable and tenured position in our 2 man operation. I love him and get the most out of his 2 hours a day. Besides who else is better at holding the money?
For those who do not know, Bob Swenson is my 80 year old father who thinks he is 18.

Per Swenson
02-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Thank You, Mr. Pellow
Its really not so much skill. More practice and experimentation.
A little pride. Good work ethic. And a promise to give em their moneys
worth. If the product does not pass the would you buy this? Test. I try again.

John Miliunas
02-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Per, though I don't have the slightest hope to ever attain even a fraction of your skills and artistic vision, I'm always up for learning the process. Even a bit closer to your level, would be a step in the right direction, so if you could provide us with a work in process thread (or several threads) on your upcoming project, I for one, would be very interested! Magnificent work, Per!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
02-24-2005, 9:08 AM
Per, please do document that job if you have the time and inclination. I think that many, many folks could benefit from seeing a project like that come together from the start. Mark Singer's similar contributions are making an impact, IMHO, and adding yours to the mix would be wonderful! Just start a thread at the appropriate time! Thanks in advance...

Alan Tolchinsky
02-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Gezz Gary don't you know they're battery powered? :)

Steve Wargo
02-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Apples to Oranges

Mark Singer
02-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Steve,

That is exactly what I said in my first post!:p

Apples to Oranges