PDA

View Full Version : Smiles for my Steady!! (thanks Jeff)

mike ash
08-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I pulled out another piece of firewood and turned a cylinder for a 14" tall vase in preparation for the steady rest that my friend in Eau Claire was fabricating. But as some of you may understand, Before it arrived I thought maybe I could carefully perform the hollowing operation without the steady on this one vase. A couple of minutes into the process......the darned thing came loose and caused numerous battle scars to my vase and tears to my eyes! I had to put it aside until I had the correct tools. Today my package from Jeff arrived and I immediately set it up and went to work, all the while smiling!!!!

Jeff, you do some outstanding work!!

Joshua Dinerstein
08-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Oh I am jealous. I have ordered mine but as of yet that Eau Claire-ite is teaching me patience. A task my wife has tried for years with little success. :)

A great looking vase and quite and amazing rough down to a cylinder.

Joshua

Roger Chandler
08-20-2011, 8:33 AM
I kinda like that steady...............mine will be a different color [green? :D what say you Jeff? ;) ] Hang in there Joshua, I know he is working on them!

Nice looking vase, Mike!

gary Zimmel
08-20-2011, 8:40 AM
Congrats on the new steady Mike. Can't have too many toys (tools) in the shop...

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2011, 9:51 AM
Congrats on the new steady. I love mine.

Bill Bolen
08-20-2011, 10:00 AM
What a fine looking steady and a beautiful piece of wood. I'm looking forward to the finished piece minus the battle scars.

Scott Hackler
08-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey! That looks like mine (only mine is gray!). Jeff builds a very nice HD stead rest, thats for sure!

Roger Turnbough
08-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Wonderful looking Vase you have going there. A couple questions though, who makes this Steady Rest? And doesn't the idler wheel arm in the 10 o'clock position get in the way of the laser? Other than that, everything looks great.

Roger

Darren Jamieson
08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
I second Rogers question's. This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the steady, it must be in the way of the laser. Don't get me wrong of course I still want one but I don't know who Jeff Is??????? Oh ya, how much?
Don't forget to post he finished result, from here it looks like it is going to be great.

mike ash
08-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Replying to Roger.... I just ran out to the shop and checked for interference with the the idler arm and the lazer pointer. There is only a 2" blind spot where the dot does not fall on the vase, but the arm itself is not a problem. However, Jeff has manufactured these so that the arms are adjustable around the circumference and if I felt I needed to, I could adjust them so that there would be no interference with the lazer beam. Jeff Nicol (WoodenNicol.com) makes them.

Roger Chandler
08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Wonderful looking Vase you have going there. A couple questions though, who makes this Steady Rest? And doesn't the idler wheel arm in the 10 o'clock position get in the way of the laser? Other than that, everything looks great.

Roger

Roger,

The arm at 10 o'clock can be retracted, and you still have plenty of support with the other 3 arms and wheels......I have a steady that is shop made, and that is the way I do it using my monster rig with laser..........I am getting one from Jeff because of its quality and stability........Jeff does superb work!

Rob Sitze
08-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Jeff who??????

Jon Lanier
08-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow, with the Mustard, Monster, Thompson(s) and Steady. You've got top of of the line everything. I'm expecting beautiful products from your shop. Congrats on the new tool.

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2011, 2:04 PM
Congrats Mike!! Looking forward to seeing the vase once completed!!

Roger Chandler
08-20-2011, 3:41 PM
Jeff who??????

Jeff Nichols.......www.woodennicol.com

Rob Sitze
08-20-2011, 5:43 PM
Thank you.

Jeff Nicol
08-21-2011, 9:28 PM
Mike, I finally have a minute to sit down to look on the forum, the steady looks great on your lathe and it should outlast both of us! I used my original prototype today and even without all the improvements I have made to the one now, it still does the job. Have fun!

Roger, Yours will be green, I think the gold would clash to much with the Grizzzz!

Joshua, I cleaned all day today and I was amazed that there was still a floor under all the wood in the shop!! Tomorrow the sparks fly!

Hope everyone is fine and I will be on a hiatus until after Christmas, the honey do list has doubled in length and I don't want to sleep with my tools!

Jeff

Roger Chandler
08-21-2011, 9:39 PM
Thanks Jeff! I am sooooo looking forward to receiving it............I appreciate you not wanting it to clash with my green machine............what a fau pau that would be! :eek::D:D