PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way . . .?

Randall Clark
08-19-2011, 9:58 PM
I want to repair, strengthen and refinish some cabinets in the parsonage in which I live. What is the best way to go about doing this? Take them completely down? Leave them on the wall? Strip and restain and poly? Rough up and paint? Lacquer? I realize it isn't my house, but I have the permission by the owners to do "whatever." I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or help in any way. Thank You.

John TenEyck
08-19-2011, 10:28 PM
It would be helpful if you could post some pictures and a description of the condition of the cabinets and in what way they are deficient.

Scott Holmes
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM
What John said...

PLUS you will need to CLEAN THEM VERY VERY well before you can put anything over them.

Howard Acheson
08-20-2011, 11:34 AM
As has already been said, more info would be a big help. How experienced are you with cabinet making and finishing?

Kitchens are the most contaminated areas in a home as Scott has intimated. Years of heavy moisture, airborne grease and greasy, dirty hands will have left the surfaces in need of cleaning and degreasing. I generally start with a detergent like TSP followed by wiping down with mineral spirits and then wiped dry.

Once clean, you need to see what else is required. What finish is one the cabinets now? What repairs need to be made? Do you need to remove the prior finish? Do you want a stain and clear finish or do you want to paint the surfaces? Painting would be the quickest and easiest

Randall Clark
08-21-2011, 3:51 PM
I will have to probably remove them from the wall. There are places where the shelves are sagging. I figured I would put a 1 by strip under the very back to firm up the shelves. The finish is a stain and lacquer. If I paint them, will I need to strip the cab's? Or can I just sand? I want to do it right, but I can't have the kitchen in a mess for too long. I like sleeping in the same bed as my wife. (Just kidding; she's been very patient with my woodworking slowness.)

Howard Acheson
08-22-2011, 2:32 PM
Carefully think about whether to remove the cabinets or not. Removing them is a big job and there is a good chance of wall damage and damage to the cabinetry.

If the existing finish is in good shape, you may get away with just sanding and painting with a good oil based enamel paint. Sand the surface with 220 sandpaper mounted on a felt surfaced sanding block. Prime with a primer like Zinsser BIN or Kilz. Then apply a couple of coats of paint.

Remove a door and either use the back side or a shelf to test out your finishing plans. Only when you are happy with what you get continue with your finishing plans.

As to reinforcing the shelves, support in the back will have only minimal effect on the front edge of the shelves.