PDA

View Full Version : Tough Economy

Gary Hodgin
08-19-2011, 7:53 PM
Just saw a report on Nashville evening news about a Hickman County (about 40 miles west of Nashville) man getting busted for moonshining. G-men busted his still and confiscated 1000 gallons of moonshine, largest bust in 40 years in Hickman County. Estimated street value was $40k-$50k. The old man was convicted of the same crime 40 years ago. He was on disability and needed to supplement his income.

Not sure why I posted this, but I thought it was historical.:)

Phil Thien
08-19-2011, 9:21 PM
I'm surprised moonshine brings $40-$50/gallon.

Gary Hodgin
08-19-2011, 9:56 PM
That's funny. My wife and I were talking about that over dinner a little earlier. The story said the stuff was sold in Nashville, which is hard to understand. Nashville has no shortage of liquor stores and my guess is that Hickman Co. is dry.

Neither my wife nor I drink, but we wonder how that price compared to Jim Beam or Jack Daniels. I went to high school with a guy who almost died from bad moonshine. The guy went from about 250 lbs to about 165 or so and looked awful. I wouldn't touch that stuff.

At those prices, I'm pretty sure he's not the only moonshiner around.

Greg Peterson
08-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Lady down south in Salem was recently diagnosed with terminal bone cancer. To help make ends meet she has been holding garage sales in her back yard, selling off everything she can for anything anything she can get.

One of here neighbors complained to the authorities. Local law says you can only have three garage sales a year. She broke a law she did not know existed. As if her cancer diagnosis wasn't bad enough. Can't even sell off all your earthly possessions to help pay your bills from your death bed. I guess that's the way we roll these days though.

Gary Hodgin
08-19-2011, 10:35 PM
That's sad. Maybe some people will hear about it and sponsor a garage sale at a church or some other place. Bad neighbors.

curtis rosche
08-19-2011, 11:11 PM
it sell for that much if it is good. depending on the proof, it is the same as everclear which i last heard was $20 for a fifth. making a gallon of it about $100. also, if it has good flavor and is smooth that could drive the price up more. what do they do with the seized booze?

Gary Hodgin
08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
it sell for that much if it is good. depending on the proof, it is the same as everclear which i last heard was $20 for a fifth. making a gallon of it about $100. also, if it has good flavor and is smooth that could drive the price up more. what do they do with the seized booze?

I'm not sure what they the sheriff's department did with the stuff. I remember that it was in barrels but don't know if they just busted them or not. I'm watching the 10:00 news right now and they may repeat the story.