PDA

View Full Version : Gloat

Andrew Gibson
08-19-2011, 6:33 PM
I got a call from a couple that i have recently found on CL. He is basically a tool picker and as a hobby goes around buys out wood shops and picks up tools and resells them.

Well yesterday I got a call from his wife who is a wood carver and she said they had a LN #4 bronze... NIB! she said that she looked it up and saw it retails for $350. she asked if I was interested in it, they were asking $150 for it if i wanted it.... I said I have to go dig through the couch for some change and i would be there.

Went today to pick it up and sure enough it was NIB... I cleaned to oil from the blade before sharpening it. I also picked up a piece of redheart, 2 pieces of cocobolo, 2 pieces of walnut, and a piece of wenge... all for $200... thats $200 for the #4 and the wood... I think that is a good day.

Cell phone pics to prove it.

Steve Thomas
08-19-2011, 6:49 PM
tut tut... that is a good day!

Jamie Bacon
08-19-2011, 7:06 PM
Congratulations on some fine acquisitions there! A good day indeed.

gary Zimmel
08-19-2011, 7:40 PM
I'm thinking that was a great day Andrew... Congrats on the score.

Tony Shea
08-19-2011, 9:02 PM
R u serious Andrew? Days like that really don't come by that often. You hit the woodworker's jackpot. Truely a good score MR. Gibson.

Brian Cameron
08-19-2011, 9:05 PM
My god man...how can you sleep tonite?....a great buy!
Brian

Andrew Gibson
08-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I told him I could put it up on the bay and sell it for double what he wanted and he yea but you won't, and I said yea I know.

Chris Griggs
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
That is one of the best gloats I've seen. What a steal - you must have some seriously good karma! Congrats on a great buy!

Trevor Walsh
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Looks more like a jealousy day to me, gloatery all around the sawbench this week. Nice score.

Bruce Page
08-19-2011, 10:36 PM
I'd have to pay more than $200 just for the wood around here.
Nice score!

David Keller NC
08-20-2011, 9:06 AM
I told him I could put it up on the bay and sell it for double what he wanted and he yea but you won't, and I said yea I know.

Indeed. If this is your first Lie-Nielsen plane, you'll soon know why people spend $350 for a smoother that they could get by re-habbing an old Stanley.

Gordon Eyre
08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Whoa my man, you knocked them dead. Way to go.

Kevin Adams
08-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Andrew, a little hijack, but how do you like the Veritas inset vise? Are you glad you went with that vs. other options? Do you think one of their wonder dogs would do pretty much the same thing, but not take up as much room and can be easily removed?

And btw, great score! I was up at L-N's last week and boy, I sure was lusting after the bronze #4...and this is from a guy that only has wooden bench planes!

Thanks.
Kevin

glenn bradley
08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
I hate you . . . . . uh, I mean . . . Congratulations.

Jim Koepke
08-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Wowsers!

Great find and good work networking with someone to hunt for you.

jtk

Andrew Gibson
08-20-2011, 7:30 PM
Hi Kevin. I think the inset vise is nice, though if I hade my choice I would go with something that I could adjust the height of the dog to match the material... I went with the inset vise because my bench was built to be portable for moving in and out of my shop and for doing demonstrations at local club meetings and the like... I would trade the vise for a wagon vise or end vise in a heartbeat, but haveing the portability of the bench is a tradeoff.
I hope that answers your question... I have not used a wonder dog, but I think the inset vise has a bit of advantage over it... just my thoughts on it.

Thanks all, yea I have been really lucky lately, but I do my best to share the wealth whenever I can so the karma keeps coming back around in my favor.

Andrew, a little hijack, but how do you like the Veritas inset vise? Are you glad you wnet with that vs. other options? Do you think one of their wonder dogs would do pretty much the sme thing, but not take up as much room and can be easily removed?

And btw, great score! I was up at L-N's last week and boy, I sure was lusting after the bronze #4...and this is from a guy that only has wooden bench planes!

Thanks.
Kevin