PDA

View Full Version : Pretty in Pink

Bob Bergstrom
08-19-2011, 5:25 PM
Did the club demo on tear out last month. Use this maple blank to show different ways to deal with the problem. When I got home I saw there was plenty of wood left to finish out the bowl. It is pierced with a dental drill and sprayed with lacquer mixed with hot pink Pearl-Ex. powder. The black decoration is applied by spraying black lacquer on Saran Wrap and stamping the sides of the bowl. Signature was filled with reflective violent Pearl-Ex in paste wax. Bowl is about 7" across and 3" deep. Critiques always welcome, I'm a retired football coach and used to play calling from the stands.

David E Keller
08-19-2011, 5:45 PM
Pretty cool, Bob! I like the form and the piercing a lot! The pink is something that'll have to grow on me, but I think it will.

What would your old coaching buddies have to say about you turning pink bowls?

Dennis Ford
08-19-2011, 6:54 PM
Pink is not something that I would have thought of doing but it looks good. The form and the piercing is very very good, the black decoration on pink background makes me think of a red sky sunset.

Bill Bolen
08-19-2011, 7:47 PM
Great play call coach! Your piercing at the rim sure sets this one off. Even more so than being pink!

Jim Burr
08-19-2011, 7:53 PM
I'd never thought of pink in anything other than a pen...so much for thinking!! You did good Bob..the pattern is well placed and the coloring is really swell!...Yup, I said swell! Air brush? need to work on mine!

Bernie Weishapl
08-19-2011, 8:05 PM
I really like it. The coloring looks nice as does the piercing.

Josh Bowman
08-19-2011, 9:11 PM
Coach,
I really like the "stamping" using Saran Wrap and the piercing looks great. And only real men can do pink.

Bob Bergstrom
08-19-2011, 9:14 PM
I'd never thought of pink in anything other than a pen...so much for thinking!! You did good Bob..the pattern is well placed and the coloring is really swell!...Yup, I said swell! Air brush? need to work on mine!
The pink was applied with a detail gun. It gives a wider pattern but much less than a full size gun. The darker reddish pink on the rim was applied with an air brush. Much more precise and controlable. I know pink in pens sells well.

Cathy Schaewe
08-19-2011, 9:44 PM
And only real men can do pink.
Hrmph.

I like it.

John Keeton
08-20-2011, 7:22 AM
Well, count me in! I like it, too. And, as always, the piercing is very well done.

Bob, this saran wrap thing has me wondering if one could do a "fade" with it, such that the darker color (not necessarily black) could be applied nearly opaque in the foot, and start out very heavy in the area surrounding the foot, but fade to a bare whisper toward the rim. It would have the effect of fading with a detail gun/airbrush, but would also have the unique pattern of the saran wrap.

I would love to see you try it. My thoughts would be to use complimentary colors, or even the same hue, vs. black or a heavy contrast. In this case, perhaps a red applied to the pink.

You do some really neat color work on your bowls. All of them don't click with me, but most do. But, let me just say that I admire your skill and ingenuity on all of them.

Terry Beadle
08-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Great piece. Good colors. Saran wrap....who da thuk it !

Steve Schlumpf
08-20-2011, 2:09 PM
I really like the form of the bowl!! Piercing is first rate and draws attention to the thin rim. The color is bright - to say the least - and while it was a shock to my system at first, I think it is something that would probably grab the attention of many!

Nice work Bob - especially with your paint embellishments! Thanks for sharing!

Bob Bergstrom
08-20-2011, 3:48 PM
John Thanks for your input. I seem to have a limited artistic foresight. I like what you've suggested. I will always be open to suggestions and ideas from others. Once in a while I would even say when I heard a voiced opinion from the fans in the stands "Why didn't I think of that". I talked with a fellow woodturner this morning at the club workshop and he said he has been playing with using Saran Wrap to pull off some of a soft finish to expose a underlying layer of contrasting paint. Thats another idea to explore. One of the best parts of the Creek is the input and help each of us can receive from one another. Thanks John for all you and Steve and all others who help make this the best forum on the net.