PDA

View Full Version : Question: Why get a Hybrid Saw?

Jim Neeley
08-19-2011, 2:18 PM
OK.. I see the value of a hybrid in a toolbox where space is limited and one sawe must serve multiple purposes but for a shop, is there a technical reason to get a hybrid?

I am aware that a hybrid could reduce the number of saws and possibly save $$$. I'm talking purely functional reasons. I'm *guessing* (correct me if I'm wrong) that going with a hybrid would be a compromise where a rip would rip better than a hybrid and a crosscut would crosscut better than a hybrid.

Learning something every day!

Jim

Joel Moskowitz
08-19-2011, 2:38 PM
All a combo saw is is a rip saw with a little fleam. In the early 19th century you didn't see saws sharpened "Xcut" the 45degree fleam would be too weak for hardwood. When you sharpen by hand you usually get a little fleam anyway so what you end up with is a saw that works great ripping and also crosscuts in hardwood very very well and cleanly. In hardwood there is no reason not to do it (and it's an advantage) in softwood I can see an advantage to dedicated saws. Historically we got the idea from the Joiner and Cabinetmaker (and a few other sources) where they only had one saw per size

Chris Griggs
08-19-2011, 4:21 PM
I don't think I would seek out and and buy a hybrid saw, but I did have a little 10 inch backsaw that I filed hybrid with 10 degrees of fleam and 10 degrees of rake. It was actually quite a handy little saw to have at the bench for random small trimming jobs as it worked quited well for both rips and crosscuts (although better for rips)- It sort of became my an all purpose utility saw. It also worked really well as a dovetail saw, the fleam smooths out the cutting action a bit.

Niels Cosman
08-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Seems like a little fleam is always nice in a dovetail (rip), after all when cutting tails you are cross cutting a bit. Last time I sharpened with a little alternating bias every other tooth and have been pretty happy with the results so far.

john brenton
08-19-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't see any real reason, although I have made one out of a second rate spear and jackson. It was kind of made for it, but wasn't set or filed right for it. I do get a ton of use out of it, but wouldn't buy a saw designated as a "hybrid.". When a "premium" "hybrid" saw costs DOUBLE what a three piece set of veriltas backsaws costs, I really don't see it. Although I would like to at least try one sharpened by a professional just to see how it performs compared to mine.

I will say though that the first bowsaw I ever made was from a buck bros mitre saw blade. I'm not sure why. I did put a very slight fleam, and perhaps its just the thinness of the blade, but it cuts super fine on rip and x-cut. It is somewhat convenient. Its not a "godsend" or anything.

OK.. I see the value of a hybrid in a toolbox where space is limited and one sawe must serve multiple purposes but for a shop, is there a technical reason to get a hybrid?I am aware that a hybrid could reduce the number of saws and possibly save $$$. I'm talking purely functional reasons. I'm *guessing* (correct me if I'm wrong) that going with a hybrid would be a compromise where a rip would rip better than a hybrid and a crosscut would crosscut better than a hybrid.Learning something every day!Jim