PDA

View Full Version : Help! My spindle has a non-standard thread

Will Winder
08-19-2011, 1:17 PM
My dilemma is that my 1940's Duro lathe has a 1" x 16 TPI spindle! I searched the web but couldn't find anything... then I searched this forum and quickly found this site: http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/precspinad.html

Sure enough, they have 5 adapter sizes which should fit my lathe: 3/4"-16, 1"-8, 1 1/4"-8, 1 1/2"-8 and 33 x 3.5mm

Which of these adapters is the most common size?

Thanks

Mike Davis NC
08-19-2011, 1:48 PM
1 - 8 or 1 1/4 - 8 are the two most popular.

I have your problem, my lathe is 1" x 12 tpi but Oneway has adapters to fit their chucks in most every size. I bought a Stronghold chuck with the proper adapter to fit my lathe and that is all i need. They even have blank adapter that can be threaded to any odd size or they will thread it for you.

Vernon Oberle
08-19-2011, 1:52 PM
If you go with a 1x8 you will be extended farther from the headstock. Using a 1 x 1/4 your 1 in spindle with be inside the and it will be closer to the headstock. This is what we did at our club to accomadate any demonstrators chuck. Our lathe is 1x8 and we bought 33mm and 1x1/4 adapters. Cheaper than a chuck and lets everyone use their own chucks.
Vernon

Will Winder
08-19-2011, 3:43 PM
I just noticed that bestwoodtools also sells a screw chuck that fits into a No. 2 morse taper designed for the headstock.

This seems like an even better solution, since I could move it to any lathe if I ever upgrade.

Are there any cons to this method?