PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good White Lacquer Sealer and the best method for spraying it

Nick Sorenson
08-19-2011, 9:25 AM
I just picked up a Gallon of this product:ProMAR - White Lacquer Undercoater B44WT1 at the recommendation of my local Sherwin Williams rep and it sands great and seems to be a good coating as a first coat on bare wood to be sprayed with several coats of clear for a flat level high gloss finish. But I've had major issues spraying it. I use a gravity HVLP and it plugs the gun up non stop. All the solids and the white (and maybe stearates) settle to the bottom of the cup and just plug it like crazy. Then if I come back for another coat after an hour the gun won't even work. I have to clean the gun. After I clean the gun I try using the stuff again and it's almost like I'm spraying clear with a little dilution of white in it. It's hardly worth spraying. All the white is gone. What do I do? I'd like to find a good system. I see on the back of the can it recommends not thinning and using an airless. But airless for Lacquer?

Edit: I just read that this sealer has Talc added and I'm guessing that it's a stearate. I've read that Zinc is a bad stearate. I'm guessing that the Talc is better. But I'd guess that the lacquer undercoater will compromise the finish to some degree. It does seem like it sands easier than just lacquer though and maybe builds faster as well.