PDA

View Full Version : I get tossed on the old scrap heap today

Rich Engelhardt
08-19-2011, 6:48 AM
:(
52 years of working for a paycheck ends today.

I prefer the term "put out to stud" rather than "retire". :D

LOML says I'm not retiring......I'm being introduced to a new adventure.

Something she calls housework.....

Myk Rian
08-19-2011, 7:27 AM
Congrats. I've been retired for 7 years now. I miss the people, but not the 1 hour drive.
I got involved with the senior center. They found out I can fix things, so that keeps me busy.
I also run the weight room and do intros there. The softball team is fun.
We have a stage production coming up in October. Things will be ramping up soon. I'm the production manager and run the lighting panel.
Lots of time to sit back and reflect on the past.

Belinda Barfield
08-19-2011, 9:38 AM
Happpy New Adventure!!! Enjoy the housework . . .

Michael Weber
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Congratulations. Well earned. I'm close and counting.

Mike Henderson
08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I feel the same way - that I was tossed on the scrap heap. I didn't want to retire and very much miss the work I was doing. There is a life after retirement, but it may not be as satisfying as what you had been doing.

Good luck! I hope you can find some rewarding activities, whether a hobby, volunteering, or some other job.

Mike

David G Baker
08-19-2011, 12:03 PM
In my chosen career the average life expectancy of an employee retiring at the age of 65 was 18 months after retiring. I retired at 55 hoping to beat the odds, so far I have made it 12 years over the average.
I found out that I have never worked so hard as I have done since retiring but I love it and can stop what I am doing and take a nap. I wasn't tossed on the scrap heap, I hit the ground running.
Congratulations Rich, enjoy your life of leisure.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Rich....I was forced to retire some 7 months ago due to sudden deafness. I miss my coworkers but there is life after work. Enjoy retirement!

Bruce Page
08-19-2011, 2:50 PM
Rich, congratulations on your retirement! Having retired last December, I can confirm your wife’s “new adventure/housework” warning..:rolleyes:

ray hampton
08-19-2011, 3:47 PM
after your wife teach you how to do the housework-HER WAY
will you do the windows ?

Rich Engelhardt
08-19-2011, 5:52 PM
will you do the windows ?
LOL!
NO WAY!!
I'm done with Windows ;).
(just kidding - I did spend the last 21 + years working in the IT field & Microsoft Windows was a large part of that career)

Paul McGaha
08-19-2011, 6:09 PM
Congratulations Rich.

In addition to the housekeeping I hope there is more shop time, nap time, stuff like that.

PHM

curtis rosche
08-19-2011, 6:34 PM
vuy a lathe. take your work to a small art gallery. and soon you will have a "new job" that is fun and makes money but can be done at your own pace :)

Rich Engelhardt
08-19-2011, 6:46 PM
Yep - more shop time is in my future for sure.
My plans to buy, rehab and sell houses have to be put on hold for the time being though.

I'd been moving towards that direction for the last few years.
The risk is just too high. The good news there though is that I can sharpen a lot of my skills on work around our house.

I'm thinking hard about trying my hand at inlay or something along those lines.

David Cefai
08-21-2011, 2:19 PM
I was meant to retire in September but have put it off for 6 months in order to complete a project - the last part of a 22 year long expansion/modernisation which I kicked off when I was younger.

Looking forward to April though. I may have to start a cradle then. :-)

Rod Sheridan
08-21-2011, 4:33 PM
Rich, congratulations and best wishes on your new adventure............Regards, Rod.

Ryan Mooney
08-22-2011, 7:54 PM
Heh, yeah I'm a linux/freebsd person myself. I always figured why use windows when the door is right there...

LOL!
NO WAY!!
I'm done with Windows ;).
(just kidding - I did spend the last 21 + years working in the IT field & Microsoft Windows was a large part of that career)

Jealous in some ways on the retirement. Congrats I think!?! Just figure its yet another way to have to much to ever get done :D

I sure got the tired part down... its the re part thats escaped me so far.

Mark Rice
08-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Rich, you will work more at home than you ever did at work. I had to remind my wife the other day that she WAS NOT my supervisor. At least the work at home will be directly productive for you and not someone else. I love being retired. I miss some of the people but I don't miss the politics.

Jim Tobias
08-23-2011, 2:18 PM
Congrats Rich! Retirement is hard to beat....make your own schedule, do what you want when you please! What's not to like about that?
I retired a few weeks ago(June 30, 2011) and I have enjoyed every minute so far!
I expect that you will too. Just a matter of finding/continuing other interests/hobbies. Just a lot more time to spend on them.

Enjoy,

Jim