PDA

View Full Version : I am newer then new to turning got questions about turning pens on a shop smith

Craig Matheny
08-19-2011, 12:12 AM
I would like to learn to turn pens just for fun I own a shop smith 510 I know I can turn stuff with it but not sure what I need to get to turn pens. If I enjoy doing this and have free time I will most likely buy a small lathe but this I figured is an inexpensive way to test the waters. Thank you for any input.

Billy Tallant
08-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Craig,
Here is a list of items needed:
Universal Pen Turning Mandrel-(this is what Penn State Industries calls there pen mandrel for the shopsmith)
7mm Basic Barrel Trimmer. (this can be eliminated if you use your sanding disk with your shopsmith to square the end of the blank),
Pen Kits (there is a wide range of pen kits to choose from, a Sierra style pen uses only one wood blank, great kit for beginning with)
Sandpaper- 150, 220, 340, 400, 600 grits, may also want to get micro mesh sanding disks (these are great for acrylic blanks)
drill bit-this choice depends on the pen kit that you choose (different pen kits require different drilling bits)
CA glue-recommend medium for gluing brass tube inside wood blank
Pen press- used to assemble pen kit together (usually sells for $39.95 to $49.95, depends on where you buy it) (this can easily be built yourself using a $8.00 clamp from harbor freight)
Some type of pen finish to apply on pen.
Wood blanks or Acrylic blanks
Lathe turning tools (being you already have a Shopsmith, you might already have a set of these tools)
Hopefully this list may get you pointed in the right direction. I saw my first pen turned on a new Shopsmith demonstration. That got me hooked on pens!
Maybe others will jump in & elaborate on necessities that I left off.

Jim Burr
08-19-2011, 1:16 AM
Good list Billy! That should about cover it Craig!

Don Nicholas
08-19-2011, 1:40 AM
Billy very well covered the tools and supplies required. One other item you will need to go on the mandrel are the bushings. These are different for each pen style, they determine the final turned diameter so the "blank" will make a smooth fit with the pen kit you choose.you may consider turning a wood pen to start with. There are several you-tube videos that will show the entire process.Hope our advice helps you get started. Happy Turning

Jack Gaskins
08-19-2011, 4:59 AM
Penturners.org and shopsmith.com owners forum. These two sites are a TON of information.

Matt Ranum
08-19-2011, 7:21 AM
Nice to see another SS user. Get ready 'cause turning pens is addictive.

What am I saying...turning anything is addictive. :p

Chris Burgess
08-19-2011, 9:34 AM
I know Pen State Industries was mentioned but it will be your friend. Very easy website and they sell starter kits for a lot of thier pen kits. One example is the 7mm starter kit. You get 8 pen kits (slimline, comfort, trimline and designer) and they throw in the bushings for each pen for free. Also go ahead and bit the bullet and pick up some extra brass tubes becasue you will mess up......or at least I did and still do while perfecting my technique. Penn St sells them in 10" lengths that you cut to fit or you can buy precut lenghts for specific pens. That is what I was doing but will be picking up the 10" from here on out, and I just use a small copper tubing cutter to cut to length. Also you will need a finish. I use 12-15 coats of CA. It is possibly the best out there....at least that I know of. It is a tricky process but once you get it you will be convinced it is worth the extra time and effort, especially if you want to try to sell them. Good luck.

Betty Fox
08-19-2011, 1:26 PM
Craig,
Ron and I have boocoodles of pen blanks. If you need some just send us your address and we'll pack up a goodie box for you to get started.
Here's a link to one excellent resource on turning pens. It's a book called Turning Pens and Pencils by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham.
http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Pens-Pencils-Kip-Christensen/dp/1861081006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313774537&sr=8-1
We're in Oregon so we're not that far from ya. Woodcraft stores also have pen turning classes. For forty bucks you can get a hands on class that helps a bunch.
Betty

Ian Jeffcock
08-20-2011, 2:44 PM
Craig,
Welcome to the vortex. I started out on a shopsmith. Its like getting your kid a Shetland pony. If they still have an interest after a year of dealing with the ornery critter, then you know that they are ready to commit to a real horse. ( I was trying to turn bowls and had to tie the thing to the wall) :)
Ian

James Combs
08-20-2011, 4:24 PM
I know Pen State Industries was mentioned but it will be your friend. Very easy website and they sell starter kits for a lot of thier pen kits. One example is the 7mm starter kit. You get 8 pen kits (slimline, comfort, trimline and designer) and they throw in the bushings for each pen for free. Also go ahead and bit the bullet and pick up some extra brass tubes becasue you will mess up......or at least I did and still do while perfecting my technique. Penn St sells them in 10" lengths that you cut to fit or you can buy precut lenghts for specific pens. That is what I was doing but will be picking up the 10" from here on out, and I just use a small copper tubing cutter to cut to length. Also you will need a finish. I use 12-15 coats of CA. It is possibly the best out there....at least that I know of. It is a tricky process but once you get it you will be convinced it is worth the extra time and effort, especially if you want to try to sell them. Good luck.

Ditto what Chris Says. Plus in a lot of cases some of the pen suppliers starter kits also include any necessary drill bits. The ones that don't usually show required bushings and drill bits under the pen kit that you are looking at on their site. Bushings are typically $4-6 and bits range from $5 to 10 or so.

Mark Hix
08-20-2011, 7:59 PM
You got alot of good advice already. What they left out....don't hesitate to ask questions. We are all willing to help. The learning curve is very fast! We look forward to seeing your work.

Craig Matheny
08-21-2011, 2:02 PM
Hey All thank you so much for the info it is a lot to take in and when things slow down I will be getting the tools and start to try turning my first pens it sounds like a ton of fun and yes I do agree I believe it will be addictive.

Craig Matheny
08-21-2011, 8:21 PM
You all have been great online shopping currently :) however I keep seeing CA used over and over what is it?

Betty Fox
08-23-2011, 7:57 AM
Craig,
CA is cyanoacrylate (spelling?). Basically it's superglue. After you finish sanding your pen to the desired smoothness, put about ten drops of medium ca on a paper towel and with the lathe on slow cover the pen with the ca. Stand back a little because that ca does smell to high heaven. After your ca is dry take a tip from my husband and use paste wax used for cars to rub out the last few remaining scratches. The pen turns out nice and shiny.
Here's a link to a hobby glue. We usually buy ours at our local woodturning club.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ca+glue&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=843&wrapid=tlif131410045165210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5632149802073418504&sa=X&ei=A5VTTo_-DoyGsAL0qfmlBw&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ#

Ian Jeffcock
08-23-2011, 12:40 PM
CA = super glue

Craig Matheny
08-24-2011, 5:11 PM
That's what I thought thanks

Mark Hix
08-25-2011, 9:07 PM
Superglue. There are several thicknesses. If you want to start a long discussion, just ask the "right" way to do a CA finish! It is very durable as a pen finish. I have a daily user that is 3 years old and the finish on the wood is still good. It also works pretty good at sticking things together. Once you master it, it goes pretty fast. Everyone has a little different technique. It has been described here several times. If you want, let me know and I will send you mine.

Chris Barnett
08-25-2011, 11:18 PM
CA is great and makes, if done correctly, a glass like finish. If you prefer satin, after finish sanding, simply apply boiled linseed oil (BLO) with small cut pieces of paper towel (never use cloth) while finished pen parts are still turning on the lathe. If you then want more shine, finish with EEE polish for a nearly mirror finish but much less work. This method is faster and easier (a perfect CA finish requires delving into the black arts and medieval chants) but somewhat less durable than CA.

Rusty Smith
08-26-2011, 5:24 PM
CA is Cyanoacrylate or super glue. Great stuff for pens. I use the Gorilla brand from Home Depot. I find it works better than other brands and is slightly less expensive.

Chris Burgess
08-26-2011, 5:58 PM
To glue the tubes I use Thick CA as it is gap filling and has a longer working time then medium or thin but am considering trying Gorilla to see how it works. To finish I use Medium for about 3-5 coats then thick to lay it on. Check out this video from Capineddie, he shows how he does the CA finish dance. Also you may want o pick up some Micro Mesh to polish the CA with if you go that route.

http://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie#p/search/3/_KMa_hWMMoM

Also check out Kurt Herzogs site. He has his articles on there that he is contributing the Woodturning Design 'Journey from Penturning to penmaking'. READ THEM ALL!!!!!!!

http://kurthertzog.com/demos.htm

And as said. Ask Ask Ask. Woodturners love to share what they know......at least the ones on here.

Joe Kieve
08-27-2011, 5:33 PM
Craig,
I'm brand new to pen turning but I think it means "cyanoacrylate" or "super glue". It's available in several viscosities.

joe

Craig Matheny
08-31-2011, 2:12 PM
Well went shopping yesterday got the mandrel, 7mm drill bit and the end trimmer, bought the book called Turning Pens and Pencils by Kip Christensen and Rex Birmingham. last week still do't know why it is 15 miles from my house at the same Post office for 5 days but will send an email to amazon today. Might have time this weekend to give it a try:D very excited hope all works out. If I do get it started I will post a picture of it.

Again Thank you to all so much.

Matt Lau
09-01-2011, 11:47 AM
CA = cyanoacrylate = super glue

Craig Matheny
09-01-2011, 3:52 PM
I got a wonderfull gift from one of the wonderful people on this forum in the mail and it included a couple slim line inserts and some wood to start and one already drilled and glued and guess what else was in the mail my book that took 5 days to travel 15 miles. So this weekend I am going to try and get some time to give this art a try. Again thank you to all of you for your kind words and information. Talk soon