PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Eye Elm bowl

John Keeton
08-18-2011, 2:19 PM
This is another piece of wood from Mike Smith that I found while scrounging through the piles of accumulated wood. Thought I would try an "extreme" ogee curve, but it does not work - at least for me. I think the result here is evidence that a down turned rim on a bowl rarely works. But, you just don't know until you try - or, until you see someone like me try it and decide you don't have to learn on your own!;):rolleyes::D I won't be doing another, but feel free to see if it works for you!

11" and wet sanded with BLO -buffed only, no finish, no wax. The rim on this one is well under 1/8" thick.

I don't like this one, and I suspect you will feel the same. Let me know if you agree!

Roger Chandler
08-18-2011, 2:33 PM
Very nice form.........well executed .............from the first pic, one almost senses a flying saucer ....minus the glass dome for the martian! this would make for a great base for an arrangement..........almost like an ikebanna pot.

Gary Max
08-18-2011, 2:36 PM
That's almost a WW1 army hat.

Marty Eargle
08-18-2011, 2:46 PM
I think in theory, the flair that you put on the rim is a good design point, but in practice...I will agree that it either doesn't match the flow of the piece or just stands out a bit. I think the angles you photographed the bowl at do the technical aspect of it justice...but I can certainly imagine how it would look off in real life. Not to that say it isn't a masterfully done piece with some amazing wood.

For some reason, I can picture it on a tall pedestal with a flower planted in the middle with a little bird splashing around in water standing on the rim. How's that for an active imagination! ;)

Jack Tyree
08-18-2011, 2:52 PM
Great looking wood and a fine job of turning, but you are right - it doesn't work. IMHO the rim is way too wide. What would it look like if you started the curl under just outside of the top bead and curled it under with two beads like a beehive bowl, but left the bottom one open enough to get a tool under it and make it the curled one? Follow me? It's different and I've never seen it done but that could work.

charlie knighton
08-18-2011, 4:49 PM
very nice, do not see this form much

Dick Wilson
08-18-2011, 4:52 PM
John, I like it. If you don't want it bring it to Ohio Symposium.......I'll take it:D:D:D

Jim Burr
08-18-2011, 4:59 PM
Other than the downward curve on the lip...it's a fine looking piece to me!

Donny Lawson
08-18-2011, 5:07 PM
Great shape. I bet that curve was fun to hollow.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2011, 6:17 PM
John you have been busy. That is a good looking bowl and the wood is really nice.

Curt Fuller
08-18-2011, 7:34 PM
John, I like the outside of the form a lot. I think the downturned rim might look pretty good if the inside followed it more closely. It's also one of those great pieces of wood that looks pretty nice to me just because the wood is so interesting.

David DeCristoforo
08-18-2011, 7:45 PM
I kinda understand how you feel about this one. I have attempted several times now to incorporate a "recurve" at the rim or edge of a piece and, so far, I have not make it work. The problem, as you have very clearly illustrated here, is that, while it might look really sweet from the underside, it ends up looking bulky from the top and sides. There is no way for the eye to take in the fact that there is a beautiful undercut beneath what appears to be a heavily rounded, thick rim. I'm thinking that maybe some scalloping around the edge might reveal the undercut and allow the eye to appreciate the actual shape of the rim. But I have yet to try that. Wanna contribute this to the cause of artistic exploration?

Bob Bergstrom
08-18-2011, 8:00 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree with you. It appears that the rim is hiding a very nice part of the bowl. The sides are under the rim and out of site. I have made a lot of bowls that a year later I look and and shook my head, some even had glitter and and candy apple paint jobs. As you say trying and experimentation are the best way to find the best side of you abilities. Beautiful execution and workmanship.

John Keeton
08-18-2011, 8:18 PM
I am glad most of us agree on this one!! I would feel pretty odd if it looked bad to me, and good to everyone else!!:D
I'm thinking that maybe some scalloping around the edge might reveal the undercut and allow the eye to appreciate the actual shape of the rim. But I have yet to try that. Wanna contribute this to the cause of artistic exploration?Now, there is a thought!! I might give that a try, David. I do not have any credible manner of doing scalloped edges - have to check with Bernie. That might help this one, and I was not going to retain it anyway.

David DeCristoforo
08-18-2011, 8:42 PM
"I do not have any credible manner of doing scalloped edges..."

Nor do I. The only one I have done to date was the rim on my "Black Queen" piece. I did that "freehand" with a Dremel tool. I laid out the pattern in Adobe Illustrator, printed it and glued the paper to the top of the piece. Worked OK...

Mike Willeson
08-18-2011, 8:44 PM
Holy cow John....3 beautiful posts in about 50 minutes...I don't know how you turn that fast :)

Seriously, all three are very nice....I'd be proud to have done any of them!

Kathy Marshall
08-18-2011, 11:19 PM
My thoughts follow right along with Curt's. I really like pic 2 and if the inside followed the flow on the outside more, which would have reduced the rim width, I think it would be a winner. Great piece of wood too!

Doug W Swanson
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I actually like it. It's not something you see every day but I think it looks great!

Baxter Smith
08-19-2011, 9:10 AM
Pretty piece of wood John and I think Davids suggestion about scalloping the edges to reveal the hidden curves is a good one. Perhaps even petals. Since you don't like it as is, what better piece to try it on!

Paul Williams
08-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I liked the view from the top, but the 2nd photo showing under the rim just doesn't "look right" to me. With the relatively flat top you might hold it against a spindle sander with a fairly large drum by resting the top on the table to scallop the edge.

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
John - sorry for taking so long to get a comment posted - I keep getting bumped off by storms coming through this area!

Anyway, I like the bowl but fully understand that a wide rim gives the impression that the piece is thick and bulky - even though that is not the case. In my opinion, this would be a perfect candidate for piercing. Not the whole rim area but just enough to lighten the heavy look of solid wood and also give a hint as to the delicate form of the rim. I believe it would lighten the piece up and actually serve to draw attention towards the bowl in the center - instead of focusing on the rim.

Mark Hubl
08-19-2011, 1:02 PM
I had the same thought as Steve. Maybe you can send it to Scott H. for some piercing! Would be a nice collaboration piece.