PDA

View Full Version : A problem solved

John Spitters
08-18-2011, 2:09 PM
First off I have 5 Nova chucks, mostly because I am too lazy to be changing jaws all the time.
I ran into a problem though with one of these chucks when I did go to change out a set of jaws the other day, since it can be years between me switching out jaws on my chucks I've had the screws get permanently set because of rust or whatever taking place, after having stripped the screw heads I was left with the challenge of how to get them out. Then after talking with my brother who is a steam and refrigeration engineer he told me to get a good quality cobalt drill sized to the outer diameter of the screw threads, ( this cost me apx. $3.50 " it's 15/64" in size " ) he said to drill into the screw just to the point of where the tapered head meets the shank, by doing this you avoid drilling into the chuck jaws at which point you will be able to remove the jaws and the rest of the screw left in the chuck will still extend out somewhat, giving you enough to grip it with pliers and easily turn it out.
So I did as he told me and the process went very smoothly.

John

Roger Chandler
08-18-2011, 2:36 PM
Great that the tip worked for you........I would have used a quality screw extractor.

Tim Thiebaut
08-18-2011, 2:37 PM
Hi John, if this happens again in the future before you try and force the screws out by hand, grab an impact driver from Harbor Freight, you can get it for $5-$50 depending on the style & quality you want, for me this usualy takes care of any issues I have with frozen screws....the example below is a cheapy one, but shows you what to look for...this way you dont have to worry about drilling out your screws and possibly having more issues from trying to do that.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html

mickey cassiba
08-18-2011, 6:33 PM
In my experience, 90% of the stripped/stuck screws I have removed were most easily done by drilling the head off using a drill equal in size to the screw shank. Once the pressure of the head is removed, the threads(screw and hole) are no longer in tension, allowing most to be removed with my fingers. Obviously this wont work for corroded, or cross-threaded screws and bolts, but in most cases it works.