PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple bowl

John Keeton
08-18-2011, 2:04 PM
I have been trying to sort through my wood, do some culling, and some organizing, all the while trying to get started on my next "artsy" piece that has been sketched. In the piles of wood, I found a block of Ambrosia Maple from Mike Smith that was dry when I bought it, and it just looked like it needed to be turned!

About 9", and just wet sanded with BLO and buffed - no wax, no other finish. It has a nice, soft functional feel. There is a neat void on the side, and I thought I captured that when I took pics, but obviously did not. It was a surprise, as nothing showed on the outside.

As you may have figured out, I have real difficulty turning a hemispherical bowl!! Hope you like it - if not, tell me why!

David DeCristoforo
08-18-2011, 2:13 PM
Sweet bowl, John. Lovely wood and a "classic" Keeton profile.

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-18-2011, 2:13 PM
This bowl is artsy. It's just a combination of nature's art and yours. You took a beautiful piece of wood no one would have appreciated in it's natural state and 'turned"it into a form that exposes nature's beauty to anyone who sees it. It's too small for a salad bowl and too pretty for popcorn. It can't be anything else but art.
faust

Roger Chandler
08-18-2011, 2:26 PM
I like the down-turned rim.........a nice touch............the form is semi-ogee and is not an everyday form one sees on a bowl, but that makes it better..........of course a pretty piece of wood as well.........

I would like to see a pic from the top and bottom as well........see the foot, which I think also enhances the form on this one. Any plans for an additional finish?

Hayes Rutherford
08-18-2011, 2:32 PM
All around nice piece.

Tim Rinehart
08-18-2011, 2:53 PM
John, nice flow and great chunk of wood. I like the rim which is similar to some pieces I've also done, recently this holly root ball piece, but I like the flow of your ogee better...I had to give up on mine given other issues with this piece205498.
The rim design keeps the piece light, but provides a little more practical handling of it...for quasi-functional pieces. Nice bonus about that rim having a little real estate, is that it's a good canvas for pyro work or other inlace work. I keep thinking perhaps to do some on this piece...we'll see.
Great job John, I like it!

Marty Eargle
08-18-2011, 2:54 PM
Wow...Mike must be keeping that AM in the private "Mr. Keeton Stock". I (or should I say my lovely girlfriend who adores AM) always seem to pick out the soaking wet stuff. Also never got any that had that much spalt (minerals?) in it. I'll have to look harder next time...or bring my bolt cutters. ;)

I really like bowls with the style rim that you did here. It give an artistic flare, but still have the feel of a utilitarian bowl. Great work, John.

charlie knighton
08-18-2011, 4:47 PM
i like it fine, nice bowl

Donny Lawson
08-18-2011, 5:12 PM
John, your bowl is in the "Excellent" catagory. I wouldn't change a thing.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2011, 6:16 PM
Really a sweet looking bowl. I do like the form and the finish really makes it look soft.

Curt Fuller
08-18-2011, 7:37 PM
Now that's really a beautiful bowl! I like what you've done with the rim. The wood is incredible and the soft finish makes me want to hold it.

Bob Bergstrom
08-18-2011, 7:53 PM
Boy that is some wood. The color is something to die for. A personal observation without really seeing the piece in person would be to angle the edge of the rim to somewhat mimic the upward flow of the side of the bowl. With the edge being vertical it breaks the flow upward to the rim. Also having the edge on a angle gives the viewer two perspectives of the edge, one from the front and another as one looks toward the back of the bowl. That is just a small opinion of a beautiful bowl.

Allen Howell
08-18-2011, 8:06 PM
John, anything I say will be redundant, but here goes, anyway. You obviously started with a great piece of wood. Then you turned it into what it wanted to be. Love the ogee curve and rim. Keep it up.

John Keeton
08-18-2011, 8:20 PM
Thanks for taking a look and for all the comments! I made a much larger brother to this one a while back from a piece of spalted silver maple turned wet, and Ms. Keeton liked the form - so, it was worth another go. I have a hard time getting away from the ogee bowls!
A personal observation without really seeing the piece in person would be to angle the edge of the rim to somewhat mimic the upward flow of the side of the bowl.Bob, thanks for the suggestion! I may try that on the next one.

Scott Hackler
08-18-2011, 8:33 PM
Nice bowl, expecially from a non bowl turner! I like that shape and the wood is great as well.

Wayne Leach
08-18-2011, 9:21 PM
John,
I like the form and design flow of the bowl. I have never seen Ambrosia Maple up close and personal but it sure looks like a nice wood!

Wayne

Kathy Marshall
08-18-2011, 9:48 PM
Great looking bowl John! The shape is very nice and I like your rim treatment, and of course you've got another beautiful piece of wood!

Rick Markham
08-19-2011, 1:08 AM
It's a very nice piece John! I'm glad to see you've regained an appreciation for bowls, and I like your take on them. They get to be addictive, to me nothing is more fun in turning than doing the inside of a big bowl. (That might be an exageration, but I get a kick out of it) :)

Michelle Rich
08-19-2011, 7:11 AM
Good morning John : I think the finish you chose was an A#1 decision. I have learned over the years that some folks are put off by shiny finishes. they do not think they will be soft & lovely to hold. With this wood and this bowl, the finish is right on.
The shape is a lazy ogee..and the small foot is just right. I think the drooping rim gives it a a lovely soft look. People will want to pick this up . If they want to pick it up, and it feels soft & inviting, they generally want to own it too. When folks buy they want eye-candy and a piece that is friendly and inviting. I think that if this is as soft as it appears, this bowl is a winner.

Baxter Smith
08-19-2011, 8:51 AM
Beautiful lines on a beautiful piece of wood, with a finish to match! "Beautiful BOWL John" does sound a little strange!;)

Mark Hubl
08-19-2011, 1:23 PM
Wonderful wood and a well executed bowl. Looks good to me.

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2011, 3:44 PM
John - great form on this bowl!! Wood sure is pretty and your choice of a finish works well!