PDA

View Full Version : Surf's Up!!

John Keeton
08-18-2011, 1:31 PM
This is a new shape for me - again, both in form and finial, and although the title followed the completion of the form, the flow into the finial, and the form of the finial was inspired by a breaking wave. I enjoy the ogee curve, and all of its variations. It seems to find its way into many of my turnings. Claro Walnut, with BLM lid, and Claro finial/knob, finished with BLO, and several coats of shellac, wet sanded back, several coats of satin WOP, wet sanded with 600, and triple buffed with Ren wax. Dimensions are 5.25" x 5.25".

I apologize for the variance in white balance in these pics. For whatever reason, I had a very difficult time with the lighting. I think I have corrected much of it, but I still see some variation in the background. A really good camera probably wouldn't hurt!! Jamie Donaldson, we will talk about this next time we meet!

As always, your indulgence into my diversions is much appreciated, and your comments - good and bad, are always welcome!

David DeCristoforo
08-18-2011, 2:15 PM
This is a great looking piece. Don't "get" the title but whatever your thought was on that, it's a beautiful lidded bowl. The finish is killer. Looks like glass.

Hayes Rutherford
08-18-2011, 2:26 PM
Vvvvvvery nice!

Roger Chandler
08-18-2011, 2:30 PM
Pretty piece John.........I agree with David on the finish [killer] ...........is this the artsy piece you were speaking of? It is a looker for sure!

Tim Thiebaut
08-18-2011, 2:32 PM
John, I just wish I had your creative mind, I struggle trying to come up with shapes and stuff and you just keep popping them out like crazy, very nice, and the finish is killer!

Jack Tyree
08-18-2011, 2:57 PM
John, that is spot on perfect, and as far as I'm concerned that is the best finial you have done to date!

Marty Eargle
08-18-2011, 2:58 PM
Surfs up, indeed! This is certainly a neat new form. The curve is just right to draw your eye up to the top. And of course, beautiful wood as always. I hope you try this form out on a few more pieces...I think it works well for you.

Tom Winship
08-18-2011, 3:02 PM
Assuming the top of the finial represents a board on the wave? Beautiful piece, John.

Jamie Donaldson
08-18-2011, 3:04 PM
This is another beauty John, and I'm sitting here trying to figure out where the mushroom shaped object reflection came from? It must be a reflection of the top itself, but how at that angle..........? And the other room lights that were left on........? The variations in color balance in the background are actually caused by exposure variations when using AUTO exposure, and using a consistent manual exposure setting would eliminate that variation.

Ted Calver
08-18-2011, 3:17 PM
Wonderful flow in this piece. I see the surf rider in the finial, but it also has a Calla Lily feel. Nice!!

Tim Rinehart
08-18-2011, 3:26 PM
What else can be said about that glass like finish...it's really a beauty. I'd like to take a workshop with you sometime John, and just learn good finish technique...because though I may not be wanting to do some of the same forms (but many I do ;)), your finishes are really top shelf. I'd like it even better to get you and Steve S together and just watch a finish class and pick your brains.
Ok...now that your head swelled up, the piece is a beauty, but I'd be inclined to put a little more curve near transition of finial connection. Maybe just angle or lighting, but looks a little straight near where the wood joins.

David E Keller
08-18-2011, 3:39 PM
It's a neat piece, John! For me, it's all about the finial on this piece, and I really, really like it! I'm not as crazy about the two wood combo with this piece, but it's very well done. This strikes me as being a bit more 'modern' than most of your other forms... I'm enjoying the products of your personal journey!

Roger Chandler
08-18-2011, 3:55 PM
Here's an idea on your next one like this...............use dark blue dye for the bottom .......symbolizing the ocean and light blue at the top symbolizing the sky............the wave finial could have some white mixed in to capture the white water foam on the wave edge...........

KOWABUNGA DUUUUUDE! :D;)

John Beaver
08-18-2011, 4:24 PM
John, That's real nice. I love the curve starting from the top of the finial. And although I'm not a finial guy, this one is cool.
Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the curve flattens out a tiny bit at the very bottom of the piece - say it ain't so.

This is definitely worth pursuing and expanding on. I like it a lot more then your last diversion

As far as the photo goes, the camera is going to have a tough time with the extreme contrast of dark wood to light background. Make sure the camera is on manual (if it's possible). You can see it's struggling a little more when the darker side of the Walnut is facing the camera.

charlie knighton
08-18-2011, 4:43 PM
very nice John, the form is spot on, the finial is unique, it really flows and opens up viarations for you, you may have started the John Keeton Look . i look forward to seeing your look deveolp. thanks for sharing

mike ash
08-18-2011, 4:48 PM
Great piece John. I like everything about it......... except the name of the piece doesn't ring for me. Looking at the finial, "Cobler's Station" fits better for the name. The side profile looks like the metal thingy that coblers used to place the shoe on to do the resoling!!!!

Dick Wilson
08-18-2011, 4:54 PM
Beautiful piece John. Outstanding form. Finial works well with the form

Bill Bolen
08-18-2011, 5:43 PM
Gorgeous and imaginative piece! Love the ogee when viewed as a whole. Finish is first rate and the wood combo sure works for me. I had to put this into my favorites folder.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2011, 6:13 PM
I like it John. Really nice form and the finish is outstanding.

Alan Trout
08-18-2011, 6:32 PM
John,

I really like this piece. I love the shape and the flow of the piece. While it has a finial it is a integral part of the overall form not decoration. Really looks like you are finding your voice. Very well done.

Alan

wes murphy
08-18-2011, 6:58 PM
extremely nice piece

Curt Fuller
08-18-2011, 7:28 PM
Wonderful flow in this piece. I see the surf rider in the finial, but it also has a Calla Lily feel. Nice!!

As I was looking at this I kept trying to think of what it was that it reminded me of. Then I read Ted's post and that was it, a Calla Lily. It's a beautiful piece. The woods look so well together and the finish is unreal. Very nice John!

Bob Bergstrom
08-18-2011, 8:06 PM
That is a knock down gorgeous piece. The finial is distinctive and unique. The ogee curve is spot on and the finish awesome. Almost thought the grayish reflexions in the sides of the bowl might have been you taking the picture, but that may be the lighting. Great job John, I love it.

John Keeton
08-18-2011, 8:23 PM
I really do appreciate the kind words. Several comments on the Calla Lilly - perhaps a name change is in order! When I sketched this piece, I tried to mimic the arch of a wave, with the back side rolling down in an ogee fashion, but I do see the Calla Lilly reference!

John B., I don't think there are any flat areas - perhaps it is the angle of the pic. I am pretty anal about that - though I do not "tuck" my forms at the very base as others do - it just doesn't appeal to me.

Richard Kennedy UK
08-18-2011, 8:28 PM
Love the neck the top is fabulous lovely shaped piece a real winner

Scott Hackler
08-18-2011, 8:31 PM
Very nice piece John. I really like the flow that the piece conveys visually. The finial is a neat break from tradition.

jwjerry w kowalski
08-18-2011, 8:35 PM
Extremely nice, original, and flawlessly executed, a very interesting piece.

Prashun Patel
08-18-2011, 8:46 PM
This finial really appeals to me. Love the finish.

Wayne Leach
08-18-2011, 9:12 PM
John,
What a stunning looking lidded bowl/large box!!!
I really am drawn to the finial which really is a good fit. the finish is looking fantastic.
Thumbs up all way round.

Regards,
Wayne

gary Zimmel
08-18-2011, 9:38 PM
Another sweet piece from that Keeton Kichen...

Kathy Marshall
08-18-2011, 9:46 PM
A really beautiful piece John! I love the finial! I also love the wood combo, I think the lighter wood of the lid brings out the highlites in the form and finial. As the others have said, the finish is excellent! Very very nice!

J.D.Redwine
08-19-2011, 7:03 AM
I can say I sea!

Baxter Smith
08-19-2011, 9:02 AM
Love the finial though I think of it more as an elegant knob! The curl in the wave is quite obvious to me. I can see the revolving chuck adaptor has been in use on the lid. (looks great) Without thinking too much about it, did you somehow use it on the finial as well to continue the curve? I picked up one of the revolving oneway adaptors in Saint Paul to use on some similar shaped roughouts that are drying. Maybe in the fall!

John Keeton
08-19-2011, 9:12 AM
Thanks for the additional comments! Baxter, I did not use the revolving chuck adapter as the one I had was for the 1" x 8tpi spindle and I have not acquired another. However, I did fit the lid, then tape it to the form and glued on the stock for the finial and finish turn all three together with tailstock pressure.

At some point, I do intend to get another revolving adapter - they really come in handy!

Baxter Smith
08-19-2011, 9:22 AM
Thanks for the explanation John. There is almost always a "work around" if you think about something for a bit. (or longer for me)

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
John - I love the form to this piece! The finial is unique yet carries the curve through the piece and into the surrounding space! Beautiful wood combination and finish as well! This would look great in a museum somewhere!!

Cathy Schaewe
08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
IMO, you have outdone yourself. This piece really, really appeals to me. I can't think of anything I'd change (except the current ownership;))!

Mark Hubl
08-19-2011, 1:08 PM
Two thumbs up on this one. Nice form and finial. I really like this one John, very unique piece.

Toney Robertson
08-19-2011, 9:15 PM
Very elegant piece.

Jim Underwood
08-20-2011, 9:53 AM
...though I do not "tuck" my forms at the very base as others do - it just doesn't appeal to me.

I totally agree. I wondered if it was just me, but I'm glad to see that someone who creates unarguably gorgeous work feels the same way. If you're going to "tuck it in" at the bottom I think that the "tuck" should definitely be a graceful continuation of the form's line - NOT an eensy weensy additional curve at the very bottom. In my opinion, it just doesn't look like a "fair curve" (to borrow from boat building terminology).

This piece is no exception to the "gorgeous" rule. It's a winner.

Jon Lanier
08-20-2011, 1:02 PM
I absolute love everything about it. New, and refreshing piece. Going outside the norm is a good thing.

Rick Markham
08-21-2011, 3:04 AM
John, It's gorgeous. That's a great form, it's very visually calming to me. The finish is killer!!!!!!!!

Doug Morgan
08-21-2011, 1:54 PM
Nice! I love them. I want to learn how to do some turning, but first I have to finish the darn lathe.

charlie knighton
08-22-2011, 8:39 PM
i do not believe they use wood for the boards anymore

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/29211/lost+atlas+to+premiere+at+us+open/

John Keeton
08-22-2011, 8:55 PM
Charlie, probably no "wooden waves" either!!:D My hope was that the finial depicted the wave - not the surfboard. Some of these things I am putting out there require a lot of imagination on the part of the viewer! Sometimes, a whole lot!:o

charlie knighton
08-22-2011, 9:00 PM
i could see the wave pretty easily in the form, i just wanted the wooden boards to make it a legal post

Roger Chandler
08-22-2011, 9:01 PM
Charlie, probably no "wooden waves" either!!:D My hope was that the finial depicted the wave - not the surfboard. Some of these things I am putting out there require a lot of imagination on the part of the viewer! Sometimes, a whole lot!:o

That's okay John........we understand..........when one is riding the bevel they get the sensation.........:D and when they get the sensation............then they get the inspiration! ;):D

neil mackay
08-22-2011, 9:44 PM
Well done John. I note, as usual that your eye for shape and form has not let you down. It maybe a new form for you, but all the curves blend in one continous line including the finial. A real collectors item that would sit very well on anybodies shelf.