PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Tools

Andrew Kertesz
08-18-2011, 7:58 AM
Anybody make their own lathe tools? I need a scraper and don't want to spend a $100 on a good one so I figured I could make my own. Any suggestions on material and the process?

Gary Max
08-18-2011, 8:01 AM
You can use anything from old files to lawn mower baldes, leaf springs from a old truck work also----just takes time and a good grinder

Chris Burgess
08-18-2011, 8:06 AM
If you can find a machine shop that deals w/ drill rod or HSS they may be willing to sell you some. Most places I have found online that sold that size (large enough to make a tool not an insert into an Oland) wanted you to buy a lot of it. Now if you are looking to buy a carbide scraper (ie. Easy Tool) you can place it on a piece of Cold Rolled steel and use it, just grind it down to fit. If that is what you are looking for CapinEddie has 2 good videos (1 square, 1 round) on how to make one and he sells the bits cheaper than any place I have seen. That is next on my list.

John Keeton
08-18-2011, 8:07 AM
Just as a note - most folks advise against using a file due to its brittle nature. Redoing the heat treat would solve that. I would think spring material would be much safer.

Bernie Weishapl
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
How about these? I have them both and spent about $50 on both. I am with John on using a file as a scraper. Unless you heat treat it, it will be extremely brittle.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX120.html

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html

Roger Chandler
08-18-2011, 11:55 AM
+1 on what John K. said..........I would stay away from files.........some folks use them[ :eek: not smart!] , but they are brittle and can send metal flying at speeds that will harm you! You don't want a trip to the ER where the doctor has to remove shrapnel from you, especially if it is near a main artery!!! :eek:

jim krager
08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
You can buy Hss tool stock from http://www.use-enco.com

Antonio Martinez
08-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Take a look at this link, it may provide you with lots of ideas.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_articles.php?catid=29

I've made lots of my own tools, some have worked, some have failes miserably. Each one a learing process.

Rob Cunningham
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I have the same 1 1/2" scraper that Bernie has. Works fine and it's hard to beat the price.
As others have said, don't use a file. They are very brittle and shatter when they break.

Tim Thiebaut
08-18-2011, 2:54 PM
I just made one this morning, I needed a straight scraper for the bottom of lidded boxes, I used an old skew from a harbor freight set I dont use anymore and ground it down into a straight edge scraper...it works fantastic. The HF set cost me less the $20 for the whole set...this is the 3rd one I have re-ground into something else for me to use...

Bill Bukovec
08-19-2011, 9:56 PM
I bought some A2 steel from McMaster Carr. Before it's heat treated, you can cut, file or grind it yourself.

The downside is you will need a pro to do the heat treating.

I got three scrapers out of a 3 foot piece that cost about $72. Part number 89915K145. 3/8" thick x 1.25 wide

The heat treating was free because I have a friend in a machine shop.

Bill

Jeff Nicol
08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I have looked for many places that sell pre-treated hardened steel for making tools. Here is one that I found a little bit ago that I have not seen before. They sell knives for Moulder, planers etc and you can buy a piece that is 25" long and different widths and thcknesses. Hope the link is O.K.

http://www.justsaw.com/knifestock.htm

There are others out there also, you can get some O-1 tool steel in flat stock and it is pretty simple to heat treat for the everyday guy.

Good luck,

Jeff

curtis rosche
08-19-2011, 11:14 PM
look for a thread i posted a year or two ago. i made my own scraper the way some guys make their own hollowing tool. a peice of cold rolled steel bar with a hole in the end. then i drove a 25% cobalt 3/8x3/8 cutter that i bought on ebay, into the hole. the cobalt lasts just as long as my thompson gouge it seems, and is is sharper too i think. maybe just my opinion. but it works amazing

Joshua Dinerstein
08-20-2011, 12:18 AM
I wanted to second Bernie's comment. I have that largest Benjamin's Best scraper from PennState. It is an amazing tool. Lots of steel so very stable. Holds and edge well. When I reach for a scraper I reach for that one every time. I wanted to buy another to shape a bit differently, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Joshua

Dennis Simmons
08-21-2011, 6:04 PM
+1 on what John K. said..........I would stay away from files.........some folks use them[ :eek: not smart!] , but they are brittle and can send metal flying at speeds that will harm you! You don't want a trip to the ER where the doctor has to remove shrapnel from you, especially if it is near a main artery!!! :eek:

I have been using old files for 50 years to make my tools, I learned from the old school. I have never had a problem. I think you must be one that thinks, to turn, you must be a Gladiator, and the wood needs to be killed.

John Keeton
08-21-2011, 6:23 PM
Dennis, while I am sure you and many others have used tools made from files, and have been fortunate to have not had any serious issues, most files are made from AISI 1095 high carbon steel. It is tempered very hard and it can be very brittle - not ductile. Getting a bad catch with a tool made from a file can be extremely dangerous, as the tool can shatter upon impact with the lathe or toolrest. Using files to make lathe tools is not recommended unless the metal is heat treated again to remove the hardness. That is why knife makers like the steel - very high carbon content, and once heat treated, it can produce a very fine tool.

I am glad they have worked for you, but I would not recommend anyone else doing the same.

Roger Chandler
08-21-2011, 8:19 PM
I have been using old files for 50 years to make my tools, I learned from the old school. I have never had a problem. I think you must be one that thinks, to turn, you must be a Gladiator, and the wood needs to be killed.

Not meaning to pile on here at all...............just because one does something and has not had a problem as of yet, does not mean it should be done.............all reputable sources talk of the dangers of making scrapers from files. It only takes one mishap, one wrong move to send a file into a shattering shrapnel missile..........:eek::eek::eek:

some feel fine taking that chance..........if I make an error, I want it to be on the side of safety...............the lathe like all woodworking tools must be respected for its potential to harm, not depending on the hope that it won't ..................each person has to make up their own mind.............for using a file...........mine is made up.........no way!

Respectfully, I do not think the wood has to be killed.........I am not a gladiator doing battle with a hunk of wood................but I do have common sense!

Many people text and drive..........they have gotten away with it .......so far.........but when they have that accident and it was totally avoidable............then they will wish they hadn't...........hopefully no one else gets killed in the stupidity they have been warned against time and again.............that is just for texting, but similarly we can avoid accidents if we use good safety at all times on the lathe as well.

Bill Swanson
08-21-2011, 8:29 PM
I the post CapinEddie was mentioned. Who is this and where can I find him on the web?

Kevin W Johnson
08-23-2011, 3:17 AM
I the post CapinEddie was mentioned. Who is this and where can I find him on the web?

Just search for capneddie on youtube..... and yes, that spelling is correct.

Bill Swanson
08-23-2011, 9:24 PM
Great I found the videos. There was a comment made that he had great priced carbide inserts. Does he have a website?

Kevin W Johnson
08-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Not sure hwere he gets his, but below is where i order mine. Sold in qty's of 10, but are only $2.35 ea. plus shipping. I provided you a link to the right page, and the description on the insert i buy.

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html (http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/carbide-insert-knives.html)

For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces
100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'