PDA

View Full Version : LF/Twist Drill Bits/ Quality and Price?

richard poitras
08-18-2011, 7:49 AM
I recently purchased the Darrell Peart Hollow Square Punch set from Lee Valley and I am looking for a place to buy the twist drill bits that would work individually for each punch. Where are you guys buying your individually bits from. I am looking for these sizes. Also good quality at a good price. Has anyone ever purchased Lee Valleys bits?

Thanks Richard

Bit Size
9/64”
13/64”
17/64”
21/64”
25/64”
29/64”

glenn bradley
08-18-2011, 8:52 AM
I have many of the Lee Valley lipped brad point bits and although pricey, they are top performers for the type of work you want to do. Super clean entrance/exit holes. I only have the 3/16" Peart punch and use Square Mortise Chisel bits for other sizes but, have used LV's bits almost since the beginning of my doing of this type of work. The improvement was immediate and well worth the money. There are other top quality bits out there that I'm sure would do as well but, these have worked well for me.

richard poitras
08-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Glenn, I know it states in the video directions (per Darrell) not to use brand point bits, only twist bits. Have you used any of the LV twist bits as well?

Thanks Richard

glenn bradley
08-18-2011, 6:59 PM
I've never seen the video but, did watch Darrell at the Craftsman Weekend show in Pasadena. He stated that he does it differently than the method shown by Lee Valley but, I don't know how much difference it makes. He squared up the punch and smacked it, screwed the back of the punch off, used it as a guide to drill the hole. I imagine this method, having cut the fibers at the edge of the square hole already, would work well with a twist drill.

Could be the driller's method and not the drill :D. I use brad points as they allow me to hit the "cross hairs" of where I want the hole exactly. I then slip the another drill of the same size (or rod of the right diameter) in and use it for a guide to set the square punch, remove the drill and smack the punch. For me, the hole being there provides a relief area for the material displaced by the punch. I think you'll find that the method that works best for you, is the "right" method ;).

richard poitras
08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Gleen here is Darrell video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGgLcGQbnFk&feature=player_detailpage

glenn bradley
08-19-2011, 1:16 AM
Ah, that is different than I saw him demonstrate at the show and a twist bit would certainly be preferred. Since the edge is already cut (fairly deep) by the punch you would have no problem with tearout. I would say any quality 6" bit would work. Jobber lengths are a bit short in the smaller sizes. I love watching Darrell work. He is so unpretentious and down to earth.