PDA

View Full Version : Reclaimed Purple Heart - The ANT Trap

Doug Reesor
08-17-2011, 10:38 PM
I found a guy on near my place with some old park benches from Washington DC that are purple heart. The benches were made of 2 x 4's and pretty nasty looking, but when you remove the outer 1/4 inch the wood underneath is a segmenter's dream. I have about 70 board feet. This little vase is 3 1/2" diameter by 4" tall finished with a high gloss varnish which made photographing it difficult.

I am donating this to a local charity event and wrote the following to go with it.

A.N.T. Trap
This vessel is to be placed in some conspicuous and convenient part of your home so it can be used daily to store any Automatic Negative Thoughts that may be bothering you in the moment. It is specifically designed so that they may be retrieved; however it is also made so that it is much more difficult get the thoughts out once they are put in for safe keeping. Since your A.N.T. Trap absorbs or shrinks any thoughts it already contains to make room for others, it cannot be overfilled.

Made from reclaimed purple heart, the wood comes from an old park bench from Rock Creek Park in Washington DC, which was used by many people to contemplate their lives as they gained peace from the view of the Potomac River and its tributaries. While park benches are also ideal A.N.T. Traps, it was necessary to remove the rotted outer layer, which had robbed the bench of its restorative powers. In doing so, only the most carefree wood was obtained to turn it into its present form.

Should your A.N.T. Trap lose its luster, rub it thoroughly with the palm of your hand while thinking positive thoughts. Then take a clean, dry rag (or cotton cloth) and polish it until both you and your A.N.T. Trap feel fully restored.

Kenny Jacobson
08-18-2011, 1:10 PM
What a great great use for reclaimed wood. Cool story to go along with it.