PDA

View Full Version : Veneer with MDF substarte

George M. Perzel
08-17-2011, 8:20 PM
Hi Gang;
Someone said that they have seen a product that has wood veneer on an 1/8" mdf substrate-anyone ever seen this stuff?
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Craig Matheny
08-17-2011, 8:36 PM
George it was part of the giveaway here is the link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169327-WINNERS!-1-8-quot-(3mm)-Russian-Birch-Ply-amp-1-8-quot-Premium-MDF-sheets-in-various-colors also here is the contact info incase the link does not work http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?7880-Michael-Kowalczyk this is the Guy who has it from the post.

Rodne Gold
08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
George, I used to have this made for myself to get "thin" "real" woods in decently sized pieces that were easy to cut etc. local veneer place did it for me. They used to warp and bow on storage even if you weighed em down. Gave up on trying to get large format sheets of "cutting wood" on my lasers , its way too problematic.

Jim Good
08-18-2011, 1:33 AM
Michael Kowalczyk sells it. Shoot him a PM and he'll fill you in.

Jim

George M. Perzel
08-18-2011, 6:31 AM
Thanks, have contacted Mike
Rodne-thanks-also have made some myself-small stuff, but tough to find 1/8 mdf around here for some unknown reason.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Craig Matheny
08-18-2011, 1:33 PM
George you can't find it there because you guys love your trees and like to see and smell clean air not like us on the west coast we cut everything down.

Michael Kowalczyk
08-18-2011, 6:34 PM
Craig,
I thought that they only cut down trees, on the west coast, so they can build tree hugger farms. I saw an episode of "OUTER LIMITS" that had all these babies being produced in suspended water tanks and I thought thats were they come from.:D Just kidding but seriously You can't blink an eye without possibly violating some regulation or taking away some insect's home from what I have read. They need to learn the formula of cut one down, plant three or more so we can have both good clean air and an ample supply of wood.

Thanks Jim, Will talk to George and see if what I have will work for him.

Bill Cunningham
08-18-2011, 10:16 PM
A customer sent me some of this stuff with a Rosewood Veneer.. Rosewood is a bear to cut, but this stuff cut like butter..

George M. Perzel
08-19-2011, 2:36 AM
Bill;
Is it real wood veneer or the melamine like Mike has?
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Bill Cunningham
08-21-2011, 7:05 PM
It was a real veneer George.. I'm not exactly sure what the center portion was, it was a light coloured composition of some kind, but it did cut nice.. The customer sent me a vector file to cut into the wood he sent me. It looked like he prepared the wood himself, because the veneer was in sections. The pattern to be cut was 4 'hand' shapes joined in the center, and each shape was matched to the directional grain veneer portions on the main wood.. He was going to inlay this cutout into a custom box of some kind..

Steve Clarkson
08-21-2011, 7:48 PM

I had a customer who provided some 1/4" MDF with veneer, and it was REALLY nice.....I wish I could get more. The picture shows the broken "H" below the new "H" that I cut out.

Kevin L. Waldron
08-21-2011, 8:46 PM
Any full service wholesale/cabinet material supply house should have this material or be able to get it... it comes finished and unfinshed one side / two sides in various materials such as maple, cherry, mahogany and several more... and a variety of thinkness...... many of the supply house may have damaged sheets..... that will still allow a lot of material for laser work...... we have a lot of this material in cherry and maple prefinsihed both sides with 3/4" and 1" instock 4 x 8 sheets. ( don't have any of the thin stock ) Our material came from Hood ( this material is fairly pricey....... $75 to $180 per sheet in the the 3/4-1" should be slightly less but not a great deal....... your paying for the veneer and the finish which will be the same ).

Kevin

George M. Perzel
08-22-2011, 6:03 AM
Hi Kevin;
Thanks-is it real veneer on mdf? Does it come in 1/8" thickness? I can get 1/8" plywood with very limited selection of top veneers, cherry, oak, walnut, etc from various sources but am looking for stuff that has an mdf base. Can't find it in the Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse corrider.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Kevin L. Waldron
08-22-2011, 9:26 AM
George,

This material is actual wood veener and it is on a high density mdf style material....... what we have is actually prefinished and veenered on both sides....... I would suggest checking with http://www.hooddistribution.com/ .This is the company that sold me ours......... I have had the material down as then as 5/16" ( some mm ) but it has been awhile ...... I would assume that they have it down to much thinner. One reason your companies may not want to carry it is that it is easy to scratch and mess up with the finish on it........

If you can use thick material I do have probably 75 sheets of this material........ in cherry, maple, and maybe oak. ( I do have some of the second material as well as the first ) Our material is 3/4", 1" and 1 1/8".

Kevin

Cherie Irwin
08-27-2011, 9:10 PM
I have been getting birch, maple and cherry from a local hardwoods store in my area. They have it in 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2". I assumed that it was stocked at most hardwoods distributors because that is the only kind of plywood my supplier carries with those veneers that are under 3/4".

Bill Cunningham
08-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Craig,
but seriously You can't blink an eye without possibly violating some regulation or taking away some insect's home from what I have read. They need to learn the formula of cut one down, plant three or more so we can have both good clean air and an ample supply of wood.

Yes! And a home for all those tasty Owls that live in those forests..:p