PDA

View Full Version : Trademark and logo help

Alan Reeves
08-17-2011, 3:18 PM
Hi. I am getting into laser etching and need some guidance on trademarks and logos. I know that I can't take a sports team logo, etch it onto something and turn around and sell it without some sort of licensing agreement. What are the rules for samples? For example, I want to send a sample to a customer who is a huge Red Sox fan. Can I etch the Red Sox logo on a glass and send it to him as a sample (with the understanding it is ONLY a sample, not to be reproduced)? I just looked at the NFL and it will cost $100,000 per year for their licensing and I just want to do a few as samples. What does everyone else do? I want to get started right. Thanks

Alan Reeves
Mobile, AL

Thomas Bank
08-17-2011, 4:27 PM
I'd stay away from such things. Even if meant as merely a sample, it will likely lead to the question of whether you can do more of them or do one for someone else.

Dee Gallo
08-17-2011, 4:51 PM
It is never a good idea to copyright infringe, whether it's a big corporation or an individual. It's illegal and immoral, which you can appreciate once you start to create your own copyrighted materials.

Michael Hunter
08-17-2011, 4:57 PM
Agree with Thomas - if the potential customer knows anything at all about copyright etc., then you are presenting yourself as someone who can't be trusted to respect other people's rights.

Two ways round this -

Send your own logo
or
Send his company's logo (reasonably safe - you shouldn't get sued)

DON'T send both your logo and his on the same piece!
This implies a relationship between your companies that does not exist (however much you hope that it might in the future) and could lead to all sorts of bad things.

Martin Boekers
08-17-2011, 5:45 PM
Samples to are forbidden for use. Sports teams are notories for what it takes to get a license, I explored MLB a while back.
When we used to buy from a stock agency they had a different fee for mock ups (samples) and usaged. The usage rights changed
by what your use would be. If you stand back a bit.... it may seem like a sample, but, if you weren't using the Red Sox logo
for some gain because of the logo and interest, then you should use any other graphic you have rights for instead. So see
the sample does have value. Plus, just because you don't sell it doesn't mean you don't need a release. I could give stuff
away with the Red Sox Logo all day but that would be infringement.

Seach this forum you will find much on copyrights, quite a few "heated discussions.) ;-)

Craig Matheny
08-17-2011, 5:55 PM
I could give stuff away with the Red Sox Logo all day but that would be infringement.
Correct Martin now on the other hand if you made it for yourself then is it safe? (Just stirring the pot):D

Martin Boekers
08-17-2011, 6:07 PM
Technically no. I know many feel that they can make a piece and put it on their mantle at home. But technically
and legally we shouldn't. ;-)

this pot has been stirred so much the soup ought to be ready by now! ;-)

If you ever listened to the end of a ball game, I don't think we are even allowed to talk about the game! LOL...

Craig Matheny
08-17-2011, 8:38 PM
So Very True:D

Alan Reeves
08-17-2011, 8:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to make sure and I think going with the customer's logo will be the way to go, I wanted to specifically get someone's attention with the sports logo. I have several other ways to get the attention I am wanting, so this was only a small part. Thanks again

Thomas Bank
08-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Hell this pot has been stirred so much the soup ought to be ready by now! ;-)

Mmmmm.... Soup... :)

Just as long as it isn't Campbell's™ that you're making! ;)