PDA

View Full Version : Finally a hollow form

Sparky Paessler
08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Well I haven't turned a hollow form in about 4 to 5 years and needed to do one as a gift for a friend who let me stay in his Destin Condo so here is what I ended up with. 11" Maple with a blackwood collar. Comments welcome.

Mike Willeson
08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Very nice Sparky. What type of finish did you use? Is that the natural color of the wood?

Sparky Paessler
08-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Mike

It photographed a little more red than it really was. Also the figure in the wood doesn't show up too well. It is finished with a coat of heated up BLO ti bring out the figure and then followed with three coats of ploy wiped on then rubbed off and sanded with 400 wet between coats. I then lightly buffed it but not to a high gloss.

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Sparky that is a really nice looking HF. Well done.

Sparky Paessler
08-17-2011, 9:09 AM
Thanks Bernie. I am pleased with it. In person I think it lookes better than in the pictures. I have a hard time getting the curl in the wood to show up in photos. What I love is that as you rotate it you see all kinds of changes in the figure in the wood. I started another out of a simular piece of wood last night. This one will be for me!

Jim Burr
08-17-2011, 9:50 AM
I really like the size. Curl is hard to get a picture of but having turned a lot of maple, I can see plenty in your. Beautiful shape and finish!

Steve Schlumpf
08-17-2011, 10:00 AM
After 4 or 5 years of not turning hollow forms - I would say that you haven't lost your touch! Great looking HF and I can see all sorts of curl in it! Your friend is going to love it!!

Looking forward to seeing your next one!! Have fun with it!

Bill Bolen
08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Dang Sparky that's a beautiful piece that will be well received. Love those bold broad shoulders!

Tim Rinehart
08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Very nice form and color Sparky. I know what you mean about having tough time getting photos to do justice sometimes, but this is an excellent piece. The transition and inside of the shoulders must have been a challenge on this piece.
Say...how many nights could I get the condo for doing a few nice hollow forms??;)

Toney Robertson
08-17-2011, 1:02 PM
I agree, it does not look like you lost your touch. Very nice form.

Why heat the BLO up?

David E Keller
08-17-2011, 1:06 PM
Pretty piece! I love the form and the figure!

Sparky Paessler
08-17-2011, 2:03 PM
All, Thanks for the nice comments! I use to do a lot of hollow forms but quit turning several years ago and have just started again turning a few bowls and hollows. This is the first I have ever put a collar on.

Tim, Well I got 7 nights in a really, really nice place! But then he was a close friend of my Brothers. :)

Toney, I heat up the BLO to make it penetrate deeper. (makes it thinner) Actually I think I used toung oil on this piece as I was out of BLO. Don't know it it really makes a difference but was taught to do that.