PDA

View Full Version : Lens Replacement

bob pfohler
08-16-2011, 11:09 PM
I need to replace the lens on my Universal PLS and I was thinking about replacing it with a lens from http://www.lightobject.com/CNC-CO2-Laser-C11.aspx.

For 20% of the cost of the manufacturer price ($45 vs $230) it's worth a try. Any ever pop the lens out of the holder and know how it's fastened in?

Dan Hintz
08-17-2011, 7:09 AM
They should be held in with a mild glue... soak it in acetone for a while to soften it up, and it should pop right out. Make sure to get rid of all of the residue from the holder's edge before putting the new lens in.

Brian Terry
08-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I need to replace my 1.5 lens. What kind of glue do I need to use?

Dan Hintz
08-17-2011, 1:05 PM
They sell optics-specific glues, for a price (Laserbits is one easy supplier)... but you can likely get away with using something like a non-ammoniated silicone. Check Home Depot or Lowes, and read the tube contents carefully for any mention of ammonia-based compounds... if they're in there, put it back on the shelf and check the next one.

Brian Terry
08-17-2011, 3:48 PM
Thanks for the info Dan. I'll check it out

Albert Nix
08-18-2011, 8:47 AM
I sit ok to ask if anyone else here has tried anyof the lens or mirrows from this supplier. If so what do you think of them?

Dan Hintz
08-18-2011, 8:57 AM
These things are practically a dime a dozen... no major science here for what we use them for, so unless they're broken they'll work just fine.

Albert Nix
08-19-2011, 10:38 AM
The last time I checked SW wanted $450 for a lens and these folks will sell one for $45. Thats a big difference. Have you replaced any lens if so where did you buy a cheaper lens. This would be great if they work as well. I know I saw where Rodne picked extra lens for his new chinese lasers at what sound like a good price.

andrew zen
08-20-2011, 4:57 PM
I used a 2-part epoxy to keep the lens on the cradle - JB-Weld - just a dab. As far as the light objects lens, ours cracked under use with a little flame up. We replaced with a real Epilog and noticed a huge performance boost from the Epilog lens.

John Noell
08-21-2011, 3:46 PM
I replaced my 2" Epilog with a 2.5" from Laser Research Optics (Mellor) as I needed the extra depth of field. Virtually no difference in vectoring flat materials.

Rodne Gold
08-21-2011, 4:37 PM
I replaced my GCC spirits lens , $500 from Local agents , with $20 lenses from Shenui laser and they worked perfectly
and as well as the expensive lenses.. I have bought 6. Im tired of being ripped off thesse days...