PDA

View Full Version : Trees from Monticello

Roger Chandler
08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Attended a demo this evening by Fred Williamson......he has made many bowls from the Monticello poplar. Now a storm has taken other trees down at the Monticello area.......he is working at preserving the wood for turning.

Thought you might enjoy some pics........see link below:

http://www.centralvawoodturners.org/Pages 2011/trees_of_monticello.html

Donny Lawson
08-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Very nice haul and I hope you make plenty of big turnings from it. Looking foward to seeing what you come up with.

Roger Chandler
08-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Very nice haul and I hope you make plenty of big turnings from it. Looking foward to seeing what you come up with.

Donny,

this is not wood I have recovered......it is what Fred Williamson is recovering so as to preserve what came from the Monticello property......home of Thomas Jefferson......author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the United States of America.

Fred is a member of one of the clubs I belong to......he does superb work.

Steve Vaughan
08-16-2011, 11:12 PM
I love having and using wood with a story, I just don't have any with quite that sort of story. So glad that wood is being saved and used! Kudos to all those that put a lot of hard work into getting that wood. Thanks for sharing this Roger.

John Fabre
08-17-2011, 3:26 AM
I used to live in Virginia and sure miss the trees, I grew up with them. Thanks for sharing

charlie knighton
08-17-2011, 4:21 PM
thanks for sharing Roger, yall know how to handle a chainsaws, then yall bring on the woodmizer

David E Keller
08-17-2011, 9:25 PM
Neat story, Roger! The size of those trees is amazing!

Roger Chandler
08-17-2011, 9:28 PM
David,

I had a chance to bid on some of that wood at last nights meeting in the silent auction. I have more now than I can get to, but I might get some of it in the future, just to say I have turned some Monticello wood. It would make for a nice heirloom for my family.

Curt Fuller
08-17-2011, 9:54 PM
Wow, those are huge trees. Thanks for sharing that. It's very interesting!

Bill Bolen
08-17-2011, 10:35 PM
What a fine read! And what wonderful story filled lumber to work with.

Baxter Smith
08-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks Roger for the link. Fascinating pictures and story!

Chris Burgess
08-18-2011, 8:18 AM
David,

but I might get some of it in the future, just to say I have turned some Monticello wood. It would make for a nice heirloom for my family.

Roger,
I totally agree with you on that. Is there a place where we can purchase this wood? I would love to turn three pieces and be able to leave them to my girls when it comes time to go home.

Roger Chandler
08-18-2011, 8:32 AM
Is there a place where we can purchase this wood? I would love to turn three pieces and be able to leave them to my girls when it comes time to go home.

Chris,

As far as my knowledge goes..........[may not be very far] the Monticello foundation has agreed to allow Fred Williamson, who is a full time turner to utilize this wood for bowls and other items that go back to the foundations gift shop so as to allow the sales to benefit the preservation of Jefferson's Monticello home.

Because of the amount of wood, a few turners from his club are also on a list of approved turners. That is how one can get a piece to turn............it has to go back to the Monticello foundation for resale..........I am in the club with Fred, and if I got a few pieces, then I would be bound by that agreement. A cut off from one piece that was left over...........I could probably get by with making a pen for my family or a small box maybe. That is pretty much it, as I understand.........I can purchase an item from the gift shop that I turned.

Chris Burgess
08-18-2011, 9:13 AM
Thanks Roger, I thought that was he case from previous threads about the trees that came down before but was not sure. At least it goes to a good cause.