PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench from LN

Jim Barrett
08-16-2011, 8:32 PM
I built my first workbench from Woodsmith magazine # 50 about 25 years ago. I also built the cabinet that fits under the workbench as well. I have been thinking about building a new bench over the past several years but...
Anyway Christopher Schwarz posted this in his blog today and I called LN and spoke to their "bench" builder and put my order in for one.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/workbenches/new-workbench-from-lie-nielsen-toolworks
It looks like a very nice bench and of course there is always the discussion of buying vs building which I do not want to revisit in this thread. I figured I already built one and now am ready to purchase a bench :)
I am turning 59 in a few weeks and figured what the heck...told my wife about it and she said, "Happy birthday"!
Done deal!

Jim

Frank Carnevale
08-16-2011, 9:01 PM
If I had the cash I would have bought one as well (i bet shipping is a nice chunk of change!). I will probably follow your lead...building one now, buy one later when building "things" is most important :) Lets us know how you like it when it gets "home" and gets broken in.

gary Zimmel
08-16-2011, 9:46 PM
Good for you Jim... And a early happy Birthday!
I had LN build me one one their benches a couple of years ago. My bench I love....
It was nice getting them to build it at the height and length I wanted with a Scandinavian vice. Left hand to boot.
That bench will serve you for many years. Congrats again.
How long before that big puppy makes the trip across the country to your shop?

Bruce Page
08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
That looks nice! Keep us informed!!

Jim Barrett
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Gary,
Thanks! Hope to see the bench sometime around Halloween!

gary Zimmel
08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
What height and length did you end up ordering Jim?

Jim Barrett
08-16-2011, 10:56 PM
What height and length did you end up ordering Jim?

Only one length being offered...7 feet. Height ordered is 34 1/2".

Jim

Jim Neeley
08-16-2011, 11:32 PM
How much will she weigh, Jim? Looks awesome to me!

Jim Barrett
08-16-2011, 11:37 PM
How much will she weigh, Jim? Looks awesome to me! Not sure of the weight...

Jim

Tony Shea
08-17-2011, 6:43 PM
If I had the cash to drop on a bench I certainly would much prefer to do so with that exact bench. I am seasoning some lumber for my bench at the moment. I really dought that I could make anything better than what you've purchased, absolutely the best commercially available bench hands down. I also love the tail vise design with the L bracket. Why do you not see more of that design? And that twin screw vise is amazing, probably also the best on the market. I recently checked out their manufacturing of the vise parts and they are precise peices of equipment. I am seriously jealous!

Peter Hawser
08-18-2011, 4:30 PM
Learning about this bench has caused me near agony and indecision. However, one thing keeps me sane. Think about all the tools I could buy for $2000 (I still need many of the basics). But what good are all those tools without a great bench to use them on? I'm still going to build my own... but on the cheap. If it turns out well, I know I can build a dream bench. If not... who knows.

Gary Benson
08-18-2011, 4:45 PM
Congrats Jim, I'm sure you will love the new bench. I would like to build a bench, but think of all the other projects you could get done in the time it would take. Enjoy it,
Gary

Frederick Gross
08-26-2011, 4:13 PM
Learning about this bench has caused me near agony and indecision. However, one thing keeps me sane. Think about all the tools I could buy for $2000 (I still need many of the basics). But what good are all those tools without a great bench to use them on? I'm still going to build my own... but on the cheap. If it turns out well, I know I can build a dream bench. If not... who knows.

You could always look at buying the vises from L-N (one of the main reasons they are ranked higher in comparisons that I have read) and installing them on the one you are building. Just a thought.

Steve Branam
08-26-2011, 6:10 PM
I had the opportunity last week to work a bit on a bench with the LN chain-drive vise. It's a dream. Works very smoothly and holds well (the chop on this one was lined with leather).

Jim Barrett
11-30-2011, 9:04 PM
Still anxiously waiting for my workbench. Last conversation with LN was it should be at my shop sometime by end of December....Happy New Year!!

gary Zimmel
11-30-2011, 9:27 PM
The wait is long for one of their benches.
But well worth the wait Jim.
Only 31 more sleeps and it will be in it's new home..;)

Peter Pedisich
11-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Jim, all good things take time...looking forward to your thoughts when you get it.
I am still wavering on purchasing vs buying. This winter I'm working in the basement, so it'll be my plywood portable bench for a while.
Sounds like 4-1/2 months or so wait?

Pete

Jim Barrett
12-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Pete,Yep, will be just about 18 weeks. Jim

Jim Neeley
12-01-2011, 12:45 AM
After it arrives, Jim, remember that without pictures it never happened! :)

john brenton
12-01-2011, 11:34 AM
That is the first commercial bench that looks perfect for all uses that I have seen. When you add the labor, the cost of materials, the hardware, and the fact that it is done RIGHT, it's a very reasonable price. I would buy it.

Steve Friedman
12-01-2011, 1:52 PM
I love that bench and think it's a great price, considering that the vises and dogs alone would cost around $900. Add the cost of the maple and you're probably paying less than $500 for them to build the bench for you.

Just wonder why someone would spend the extra $750 to get the "unimproved" European bench instead unless you need custom dimensions or need a tool tray.

Steve

Jim Barrett
12-13-2011, 8:54 PM
Got a call from the delivery company yesterday...scheduled to receive my bench on Thursday AM...hope they know they gotta take a ferry ;).....will post some pics!

gary Zimmel
12-13-2011, 9:40 PM
Looks like Santa is coming to your house a little early....
Good for you Jim, looking forward to the pics!

Jim Barrett
12-14-2011, 8:26 PM
Bench was delivered today....a day early! It has been 120 days since I placed the order back in August! Bench is great! I do have one issue that I will call LN about tomorrow. The vise handles stick up and you could run into it when you are planing...Chris Schwarz mentioned this in his blog and said LN was going to fix this problem with a "low profile" handle....otherwise it is a beauty. Very solid and exacting. The top is very flat...after face planing a piece of cherry and turning it over to do the other side there was a "sucking" sound when I picked it up! Here are a few pics...the guys that delivered had it in the garage in 10 minutes!

Jim Neeley
12-14-2011, 8:46 PM
Hey Jim,

Let me be the first to tell you that "YOU SUCK!" :)

Awesome bench, Jim... and now we want pictures of the projects coming off of it! :D

Phil Thien
12-14-2011, 8:54 PM
That is an awesome looking bench.

Chris Harper
12-14-2011, 9:28 PM
Very nice. How does the top attach to the base? I see some pins in the front and some square holes in the stretchers. Something to do with them?

And what modular flooring is that? Looks like Garage Deck or Swiss Trax but there are so many similar products nowadays. How do you like it?

My wife wants me to put a modular plastic floor in my shop.

Peter Pedisich
12-14-2011, 9:33 PM
Congratulations Jim, it looks beautiful! Good luck

Pete

Jim Barrett
12-14-2011, 9:43 PM
Very nice. How does the top attach to the base? I see some pins in the front and some square holes in the stretchers. Something to do with them?

And what modular flooring is that? Looks like Garage Deck or Swiss Trax but there are so many similar products nowadays. How do you like it?

My wife wants me to put a modular plastic floor in my shop.

Chris,
The top sits on some metal pins and also there are 4 lag bolts that attach the top to the stretchers.
The floor is about 8 years old and don't remember who I got it from...I had some issues with the two colors being different dimensions which resulted in some alignment issues. But the person I purchased from refunded all of my money as he could not get it right. I did pay a few hundred dollars in shipping but did not pay for the product.
Overall it is OK...easy on your legs. I park the car in the garage and the heat from the tires has darkened some of the tiles.

Jim