PDA

View Full Version : Free chisel and peace of mind.

Gordon Eyre
08-16-2011, 5:13 PM
I have been needing some new chisels and so I went to Lee Valley and looked at the Narex Chisels that they have advertised. They looked good and would fill the need that I had. I ordered the set of four and when UPS dropped them off at my doorstep I opened the box and there was a set of seven chisels. I called Lee Valley and explained their error and asked how they would like me to resolve this. They were very nice and suggested that I send the three chisels back postage free. I told them that I thought it would be better if they knocked off what it would cost them for postage and then they could charge me for the balance. They were happy to do that and actually knocked off $11 and in effect gave me one free chisel. I felt better knowing that I had done the right thing. Besides you never have too many chisels or an excess of peace of mind. :)

Simon Frez-Albrecht
08-16-2011, 5:30 PM
Good on ya.

I just bought the set of four myself, pleased so far except the edge on the 3/4" crumpled the first 30 seconds I used mine. I'll give it another sharpen and see if maybe just the edge got burned during final grinding or something at the factory.

Bill Houghton
08-16-2011, 6:55 PM
In my opinion, places that give good customer service attract good customers in return. Nice of you to do that; nice of Lee Valley to work with you so flexibly.

Paul McGaha
08-16-2011, 7:14 PM
Classy and honest thing to do Gordon.

PHM

Joe Fabbri
08-16-2011, 8:04 PM
Good to hear it worked out for both of you.

So, how do you like the new Narex chisels? I'm probably going to be buying that set from them soon. How do the new sides look, pretty thin as advertised? Narrow enough for close dovetail-type work?

Joe

Gordon Eyre
08-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys. As to the chisels Joe, I haven't used them yet but will say they look very good. The grind is accurate and as advertised. They come fairly sharp and appear to only need a little tuneup to make them super. The handles themselves are a little utilitarian and are not what you would find on some of the more expensive chisels. How they hold up remains to be seen.

Joe Fabbri
08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the information, Gordon. I'm glad to hear everyone giving the thumbs up on these chisels. Like you said, it seems one of the only drawbacks for me, and others, is the handles. Lee Valley said they didn't care for the newer handle pattern (which is Hornbeam, by the way), so they opted to stick with the old one. I'm not sure which would be more comfortable, though I think I like the look of the newer style, even if it looks like a file handle, as some say.

I'm sure in a few years, they'll have a new handle pattern down.

How does the length of the chisel feel to you? I think it said on internet the lengths are about 10-12 inches. Seems a bit big, what do you think?

Joe

Tom Vanzant
08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
I received my set of four last week. After a very small amount of flattening, they honed up nicely and work very well. The edges held up... no problems with dubbing like my old Mifer chisels. I ordered the 3/8" and 5/8" chisels yesterday. The handles... maybe they'll grow on me.

john brenton
08-17-2011, 11:56 AM
How true it is Gordon, and it does come back to you even if not immediately. Even if it never "comes back to you", at least you can be justifiably extra mad and indignant when someone is dishonest with you!

I, response to the edge crumpling, I have read on here that a few Narex owners have had to grind back a bit to find good hardness. Not much I gather, but just a few grinds and there is good steel and hardness there.

I have been needing some new chisels and so I went to Lee Valley and looked at the Narex Chisels that they have advertised. They looked good and would fill the need that I had. I ordered the set of four and when UPS dropped them off at my doorstep I opened the box and there was a set of seven chisels. I called Lee Valley and explained their error and asked how they would like me to resolve this. They were very nice and suggested that I send the three chisels back postage free. I told them that I thought it would be better if they knocked off what it would cost them for postage and then they could charge me for the balance. They were happy to do that and actually knocked off $11 and in effect gave me one free chisel. I felt better knowing that I had done the right thing. Besides you never have too many chisels or an excess of peace of mind. :)

Jim Koepke
08-17-2011, 1:13 PM
Besides you never have too many chisels or an excess of peace of mind.

Very true on both.

Thanks for sharing and let us know how they work out for you.

jtk

Gordon Eyre
08-17-2011, 5:43 PM
Thanks for the information, Gordon. I'm glad to hear everyone giving the thumbs up on these chisels. Like you said, it seems one of the only drawbacks for me, and others, is the handles. Lee Valley said they didn't care for the newer handle pattern (which is Hornbeam, by the way), so they opted to stick with the old one. I'm not sure which would be more comfortable, though I think I like the look of the newer style, even if it looks like a file handle, as some say.

I'm sure in a few years, they'll have a new handle pattern down.

How does the length of the chisel feel to you? I think it said on internet the lengths are about 10-12 inches. Seems a bit big, what do you think?

Joe

They are longer than I am used to Joe but this may give me more control in their use. Time will tell.

Tony Shea
08-17-2011, 6:47 PM
Thats awesome Gordon. Very good on you, LV deserves its loyal customers and we deserve LV to be loyal to us.

Jim Koepke
08-17-2011, 7:51 PM
They are longer than I am used to Joe but this may give me more control in their use. Time will tell.

For my style of work, sometimes a long chisel is better and sometimes a short chisel is preferred.

That is why having multiple sets is often the way to go.

jtk