PDA

View Full Version : BLO, what comes next?

cal thelen
08-16-2011, 1:33 PM
Finished a bowl out of Mulberry last night (thanks Jeff Nicol) and I have one coat of BLO on it. question is if want to finish with laquer do i need to use something inbetween the BLO and the laquer? and how long do I have to wait? does just a few coats of BLO make a nice finish or should it be followed with something else? what are my options now after the BLO is dried?
thanks alot guys starting to feel like this is a one sided deal here I get all the answers and info i need but well its greatly appreciated.

John Keeton
08-16-2011, 1:58 PM
Cal, it really depends on what you want to have when you are done. If you intend to use the bowl, then I probably would not apply lacquer. If the question is whether the lacquer will adhere over the BLO, the answer is yes, but I would wait at least a couple of days. I apply shellac almost immediately after BLO, and have done the same with lacquer, but don't advise it.

Just as a note - dewaxed shellac makes an excellent "binder" (as well as a nice finish) as it will adhere over or under nearly anything. When in doubt, one can apply shellac, and topcoat with anything.

You may want to consider using walnut oil on the bowl as a replenishable finish. I don't care for BLO as a final finish as it can become gummy in hot weather or when handled a lot. I used to apply it (dozens of coats!) as a traditional finish on longrifles, and it works - but it takes years for it to age out.

Scott Hackler
08-16-2011, 3:47 PM
I second what John said and will add that I use BLO then lacquer all the time. I do like to let the BLO covered turning sit at least overnight, but a few days is probably better. I generally like to hit it with some 0000 steel wool and blow it off, just before the lacquer. After I apply 3-5 coats of rattle can lacquer, I knock down the gloss of the lacquer with 0000 steel wool, apply Ren wax and hand buff.

If I have a light colored wood or don't want the yellowing that BLO causes, I skip the BLO and apply a 60% dilluted shellac, knock it down after it dries and do the same lacquer treatment.

Bernie Weishapl
08-16-2011, 11:49 PM
I pretty much follow John and Scott. I do let my pieces sit for at least a week and that may be overkill but I haven't had a problem.