PDA

View Full Version : Nasty photo imaging issue with Epilog Helix - just started

Doug Fennell
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Sorry or the glare on the photo - devilishly hard to take a pic of.
Issue is banding in the horizontal X axis It's not the marble, not the image (sometimes there is no banding at all on this particular image). Epilog quoted $1395 for an e-laser (their in house currently used brand sold with the new machines) retrofit to my coherent tube, or $2015 for the coherent.

Does it look like a laser issue or mechanical?

BTW, I ran the image in 2 directions to see if the banding stayed in the x axis - it did.

Dan Hintz
08-16-2011, 1:00 PM
Consider how regular it is, I'd say it's a mechanical issue with the X-axis. Likely a bald spot (or similar) on the belt at that point

Doug Fennell
08-16-2011, 2:53 PM
Man, i wish it were that simple. Already took it off, examined and flipped it - might not fix it, but it would absolutely change the pattern if that were it. Flipped the encoder cable as well.

Think I'll take apart the x-axis linear rail/bearing and pitch it in the ultrasonic cleaner and then re-grease it.

I DO NOT want to buy another laser tube - but I very well may have to. It's cheaper than another machine, and I need to run this machine a little while longer. My fear is that I'll plunk down the money and the new tube won't be the problem. That would really upset me.

Mike Null
08-16-2011, 3:09 PM
Let's see some other things you've engraved.

Also, there have been many threads on the topic of banding so do a search and see if that'll shed any light on it.

Don't be too hasty to buy a new tube if your other engraving is coming out ok.

Neil Pabia
08-16-2011, 3:43 PM
What software are you using for engraving?

Doug Fennell
08-16-2011, 3:53 PM
Let's see some other things you've engraved.

Also, there have been many threads on the topic of banding so do a search and see if that'll shed any light on it.

Don't be too hasty to buy a new tube if your other engraving is coming out ok.

Hi Mike, here are a few -

These are from last week - came out perfect. top is 5x7, lower is 8x10

engraved at 300dpi - sized in photoshop, Gaussian blur applied (1 pixel - I find that it negates artifacts in digital images). Readied for laser in photograv and then sent to coreldraw for printing. No image manipulation is ever done after photograv.

Ignore the baby feet attachment, I hit upload accidental. It's a proof from photograv and not relevant to this post.

Mike Null
08-16-2011, 5:04 PM
Doug

I think it's mechanical but just a guess. Be sure your bearings and tracks are clean in the Y axis as well as the X axis. Check your lens, mirrors and mounting to be sure they are secure.

Before buying any parts I'd do a thorough cleaning and inspection.

You should be able to engrave a filled square on scrap to check to see if you've solved the problem.