PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs Up! - LV Med Shoulder Plane

Jim Becker
02-20-2005, 9:10 PM
I finally got a chance to play with the Lee Valley Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane I picked up at a show a couple months ago...things have just been too busy to have a chance to play. As you can see from the attached, it takes nice shavings even without any attention to the iron yet. Once I have the opportunity to fine tune it, this tool should really rock!

I also received the Stanley #4 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16817) I picked up from Mr Hatfield and hope to put it to the test next weekend.

Mark Singer
02-20-2005, 9:36 PM
Jim,

Thats probably my favorite all around sholder Plane and I have a few, including the LN 73, and a Clifton

John Dingman
02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Jim,

Congratulation on both additions. I have the Medium Shoulder Plane and like you said, it works nice right out of the box. If you are looking for anymore type 17's to add with the No. 4 give me a hollar as I have a No. 3 and a No. 5 that I might be getting rid of in the near future.

John

Terry Hatfield
02-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Hmmmm...power tool woodworker posting pic of shavings being measured with dial calipers....yup...you are doomed. :D

Welcome to the slope Jim. Hope you enjoy the #4.

t

John Dingman
02-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Hmmmm...power tool woodworker posting pic of shavings being measured with dial calipers....yup...you are doomed. :D

Welcome to the slope Jim. Hope you enjoy the #4.

tYep Terry,

He's a goner!

Happy Trails,
John

Mike Holbrook
02-21-2005, 1:51 AM
That bad boy is right up at the top of my short list. It won the Best and Best Value award for a shoulder plane in "Fine Woodworking / Homebuildings" 2005 Tool Guide too.

Brad Olson
02-21-2005, 2:14 AM
Once I used it for cleaning up some tennons and I was instantly in love. Took less than a minute to fit tennons to their mortises and no fussing around using a chisel to do it. I now make all of my integral tennons a hair or two too big and then fit them with the Med shoulder plane. I have gone from cussing about making tennons too small to getting that perfect fit everytime with only a little bit of additional work.

I have found that it is actually easier to use a daddo stack to make the tennons and then trim them down with the shoulder plane than to fuss round with a tennoning jig.