PDA

View Full Version : brush/roller White Enamel

Nathan Batson
08-16-2011, 8:17 AM
Let me start off with the statement, I don't what I'm doing wrong.... Since I'm total lost as to what I"m doing incorrectly and consequently how to apply white acrylic enamel with a brush and a roller.

using Sherman Williams Pro-Classic Interior Acrylic Enamel, white.
using Purdy brushes (3 inch and 2 inch tapered), and 3 inch 3/16 nap roller that I also got at SW store.
also using XIM extender to help with leveling.
Working in air conditioned room (kitchen table as wife is visiting her folks) ~ 72'F.
Painting 2 window sills with are approximately 8 " x 36" on 3/4" thick MDF with a routed decorative edge.
Primed with Oil base primer

The problem is 3 fold,

The biggest issue (as I see it) is the time until enamel can't be touched is seconds, which is way to fast for brush work where there are decoritive edges that can't have drippel on them. Not sure if Oil based enamel will buy enough time. Figuring I need a minute or two.
With brush alone, acrylic enamel goes on to thick but this is because I can't work it too much with the brush without brush marks.
Roller leaves an orange peel like texture to the surface rather than smooth. (3/16 inch nap roller is what I'm using).
The drying time seems to be so fast that tipping-off with a brush after rolling just leaves horrible brushmarks.  Having paint on the brush when tipping off does not help.

I believe the problems I'm having are operator error (i.e. me). but I can't figure out what it is. I've tried larger brush sizes, extender, rollers and brushes. I work fast and try to use just a couple of brush strokes to apply the enamel. But with edges as well as a surface, I just can't seem to get it too work (i.e. smooth surface).

? Is Oil based enamel the only option? Will it buy me enough time to work edges as well as the surface. Window sills is what I'm working on. ? has anyone successfully applied acrylic enamel with a smooth surface... if so how?? What am I doing wrong?
? The trim work in the house is all white acrylic enamel (applied by the builder) and I was hoping to use this adventure to learn how to brush/roll enamel so I could do some touch up. But right now, I see no way to do it except with spray gun, which won't work for touch up. I also don't have a spray gun.

Lost, confused, frustrated... help!
Thanks...
-Nate

Scott Holmes
08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I suggest you go back to the SW store and ask them what's going on with this paint. Did you by chance get the super fast dry? I know they have one that I think is for airless spray application.

John TenEyck
08-16-2011, 1:58 PM
I've used SW's Pro Classic and it's nice stuff. As you said, it's very thick, but I had no trouble brushing it onto some trim work, but see how it could be if you have multiple edges and corners to deal with. I used a polyester brush I had laying around, nothing special. I think your main problem is that the your air conditioned room is probably too low in humidity limiting the time you have before it sets. First, I would try turning off the AC and letting the humidity rise. If that doesn't give you enough open time I would dilute the paint 5% with plain water, maybe even up to 10%. I've diluted it up to 18% for spraying, and it cures beautifully, so 10% is not a problem. I've never needed to add Floetrol, or some other extender, so I can't comment whether or not it might be helpful. I recommend you give it another shot before trying something like oil based enamel. Pro Classic is beautiful stuff and I'm sure you'll be impressed once you resolve the application issues. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Jesse Tutterrow
08-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I have had problems with both Latex and oil based paints. They are too thick to self level and I get brush marks. I found that adding Floetrol (latex) or whatever solvent is recremended for cleaning (oil) slows down the drying time and helps the finish self level.

--Jesse

Scott Holmes
08-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Many oil-based finishes are too thick to use without thinning. Especially the poly varnishes. Thank the EPA and the VOC police for that. The manufacturer adds less thinner to lower the VOC's so now it too thick. On the plus side !!! --- >>> you are getting more finish! All you need to do is thin it slightly.

Nathan Batson
08-17-2011, 1:54 PM
thanks guys... Since I'm hoping to stay with acrylic enamel, I thought I would try the suggestion of adding 5% water to enamel. The reason, I'm in Boise Idaho which climate-wise is a high-altitude desert with relative humidity of ~10-15% during the day. So I'll try 5% (maybe 10%) water along with extender (XIM a Floetrol competitor that Sherman Williams recommends now).

Anyone had experience at using both water and an extender (XIM) in White Acrylic Enamel? Application would be with a brush and roller, rahter than a spray gun. I'm assuming tap water at room temperature is OK as a water source.